• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

tubeless tires - prevent flats question

I have never owned "tubeless" tires only traditional "clinchers"

I'm about to pickup a bicycle with ultegra tubeless rims on them. I have a few questions/concerns that I would like resolve before I hit the road.

Do I use a sealant (ie Sam's or Hutchinson) and then pump it up to the desired psi ?

If a get a flat 60km into my ride ? What is the best recommended method of repair ? carry a spare tube ? carry sealant ? carry spare tubeless tire ?

Thanks for your input

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I believe you will be very happy with the new set up. I run dura ace tubeless. I run kalfee laytex in mine. I also cary a spare tube with me. Just treat it as a normal clincher if you flat. FYI I have yet to flat in any crappy weather rides all winter/spring. The real benefit comes from being able to run lower pressure for better comfort. I run 100psi rear and 90psi front and I am 6'1 210#. Good luck with the new ride!

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
masking_agent said:

I'm about to pickup a bicycle with ultegra tubeless rims on them. I have a few questions/concerns that I would like resolve before I hit the road.

Do I use a sealant (ie Sam's or Hutchinson) and then pump it up to the desired psi ?

If a get a flat 60km into my ride ? What is the best recommended method of repair ? carry a spare tube ? carry sealant ? carry spare tubeless tire ?

Thanks for your input

I used to ride tubeless but i am now on clinchers, not cos quallity just have spare clinchers and then i am back on tubeless . Great ride anyway, i use sealant (apply through valve, or just put it in tyres between rim)

Also carry a spare tube, but be aware that tubeless valve can be hard to remove, so practice (removing valve with hands or Latherman) before ride.

I also find Hutchinson Fusion2 are race only, very very soft tyres, not for training. I totaly killed mine for 2500km.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
If you get a flat 60 km into the ride you may want to carry a big air compressor with you if you break the bead it is hard to get it to seal so you neede a tube.

But if lucky you can stick one of the self sticking patches on the outside of the tyre untill you get home.

masking_agent said:

Thanks for your input

Stan's sealant, carry a tube.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
If you get a flat 60 km into the ride you may want to carry a big air compressor with you if you break the bead it is hard to get it to seal so you neede a tube.

But if lucky you can stick one of the self sticking patches on the outside of the tyre untill you get home.

I think you mean inside of the tyre, and even so you would need luck and patience of a saint. I haven't used road tubeless, but from MTB experience patching a tubeless tyre successfully is a job to do when you get back home. Successfully cleaning the sealant out so the patch will stick simply isn't practical on the roadside, far quicker and more reliable to throw in a tube instead.