• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Twitter war against Vaughters

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Stop being a xenophobic ****, damiano! Plenty of people from different countries were having a go at him for it.

People such as respected journo Dag Otto Lauritzen agreed with what those others said.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Garmin is Vaughters's team. He gets the money in, he pays the money out. He's the boss. If he decides that Hushovd shouldn't be in the Vuelta team, then that's that. If anyone wants to tell him how to run his team, then invest some money.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Of course it is his descision but that doesn't mean that we aren't allowed to criticise such a descision.

I have just about had enough of your xenophobic America hating. How dare you criticize a true American hero and foundation of the U.S. cycling establishment like JV.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Baden Cooke and then Stuart O'Grady question Vaughters' team selection for the Vuelta. It's Australia versus Vaughters! Let's get it on!

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2011/8/13/2361307/polemica-cooke-takes-on-vaughters-in-twitter-vendetta
Well, it seemed like the entire Norway had a go at Vaughters on Twitter when Hushovd said he wasn't allowed to ride the Vuelta.

TV2DagO2 Dag Otto Lauritzen
@Vaughters you show that you don't deserve a World Champion in your team. Shame on you

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Vaughtres has bitten back at my tweets.

ACF: "be honest, if thor hadn't announced that he were leaving garmin before vuelta he'd be riding."

JV: "No, that is incorrect. Thor's announcement came after my call to him to inform him of non-participation."

Does anybody think that this might have something to do with:-

- Riders who have been linked to GreenEdge
- Riders who have been linked to GreenEdge and who ride for Garmin (Bobridge, the Meyers) not having been entered in too many races, thus not adding much to their points tally?

Thor is another rider who is being held back from a race for a political purpose, but as a World Champion, his name carries more clout.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Of course it is his descision but that doesn't mean that we aren't allowed to criticise such a descision.

Yeah, but from what position are you criticising? I'm guessing many are thinking that Thor is the World Champ and therefore should be afforded every opportunity to defend it. Why should that be the case?

Seriously, this is Vaughters's livelihood. It's not about moral rights and wrongs that pompous cycling fans seem to cling on to. The team's future comes far before 'honouring the rainbow' or any other nonsense that you've been fed by overblown journalists.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If the decision has been made for political reasons, which despite Vaughters' comments to the contrary I believe it has, then I despise the decision. However, taking all emotion out of the equation it's best for the long-term future of the team and I understand it. Unfortunately I doubt the inept UCI will deal with the problem any time soon without external pressure.

I suppose the only way to check Vaughters' rider development comments would involve reviewing his previous Vuelta selections but I can't be bothered. Whilst I agree with some his opinions I can't stand the guy so I'm probably taking the cynics option.

Libertine Seguros said:
Does anybody think that this might have something to do with:-

- Riders who have been linked to GreenEdge
- Riders who have been linked to GreenEdge and who ride for Garmin (Bobridge, the Meyers) not having been entered in too many races, thus not adding much to their points tally?

Thor is another rider who is being held back from a race for a political purpose, but as a World Champion, his name carries more clout.
Cam Meyer did the Giro and what appears to be, overall, a normal race schedule. Bobridge's case might be different though.

Vaugthers is such a hypocrite. He was the one who was criticising the system the most, warning about situations like this were team bosses would leave people out of their teams if they were to transfer. He said that would be bad for the sport...However, he is more or less the only guy who actually is doing this actively. Blaming the system is too easy then.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Yeah, but from what position are you criticising? I'm guessing many are thinking that Thor is the World Champ and therefore should be afforded every opportunity to defend it. Why should that be the case?

Thor should be given every opportunity to defend his title simply because he is the World Champion. Not doing so is disrespecting the Champ, the jersey and devalues the title to an extent.

That's without considering his contributions to Garmin's Tour performance. He's a class rider that won two stages, contributed heavily to a ttt win and set-up Farrar's stage win that he wouldn't of won otherwise. I almost forgot all those days in yellow. There was also Cancellara's inability to drop him for the majority of P-R which was an important factor in Garmin's win. In short almost all of Garmin's big successes this year received significant contributions from Thor.

He deserves to be treated with more respect than he has. Unfortunately the regulations mean that Vaughters made the right decision and actions speak louder than words so hopefully the UCI will realise that their rules are stopping the top cyclists being selected for the top races.

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Mambo95 said:

Seriously, this is Vaughters's livelihood. It's not about moral rights and wrongs that pompous cycling fans seem to cling on to. The team's future comes far before 'honouring the rainbow' or any other nonsense that you've been fed by overblown journalists.

That at the biggest races I want to see the best riders riding.

A

Anonymous

its his team, he can do what he likes. Thor has already ridden the tour, not the business of other riders to moan at him.

people need to sort out their own mess before worrying baout other peoples

Ragerod said:
There was also Cancellara's inability to drop him for the majority of P-R which was an important factor in Garmin's win. In short almost all of Garmin's big successes this year received significant contributions from Thor.
Problem was, Thor was supposed to be the man in that race. One could feel their relationship started to go south after P-R...
Thor was obviously left out from La Vuelta for JV's personal reasons.

Libertine Seguros said:

I think it has happened with them too. Bobridge not doing the Giro which he did last year (but don't count this as it was a correct sporting call). Neither of them doing Poland (Meyer) or ENECO (Bobridge) which they did last year. But they would have been going through the motions dreaming of Green Edge/London at this stage of the season anyway.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
i find it a little disrespectful from the riders. It might not be a great decision, but what the hell does matt goss have to do with Garmin. He and everyone else need to shut the f**k up.

I understand there is more to it, and the crappy UCI system is essentially to blame, however these guys have no right to judge or question JV's decision regarding his own team.

childish for those involved.