Tygart, Vaughters and Landis LIVE!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2012
6,458
0
0
goggalor said:
I don't know, he basically said a zero tolerance policy leads to people keeping their mouths shut, but Team Sky have already kicked out a bunch of dopers, like Julich, Yates and Rogers. For an actual clean team I think adopting a zero tolerance policy along with careful vetting of riders and staff would be quite effective.
The assumption in the bolded part is the rub, right?
 
May 12, 2010
1,998
0
0
Netserk said:
I missed that part. Was anyone wearing earpieces?
No, at the end the moderator said there would be time for only one question. After that question was asked somebody who was more interested in hearing themselves speak than listening to the panel (common in these sorts of situations) began a long rant, was cut off and tried to have the last word.

Anyway, I thought it was fairly interesting. A shame that Floyd didn't get the chance to answer the question what he thought about doping in the current peloton. Vaughters is a good public speaker, he made a good case for why his way of combating doping could be most effective for the future.
 
May 27, 2012
6,458
0
0
Netserk said:
I missed that part. Was anyone wearing earpieces?
No, this woman at the very end (after they said questions were over) started talking and went on a bit about her experience as a competitive cyclist, and then finally said "So here's my question." The moderator said "no more questions" and she went on, and he kept talking over her, and she kept trying to ask a question, and he kept saying she couldn't, and at the very end, right before the camera went off, she said something about the question is about "earpieces." I think she was punking them or something?
 
Oct 16, 2009
3,868
0
0
ChewbaccaD said:
The assumption in the bolded part is the rub, right?
Sure, but then none of the critics ever really talk about that, in fact a few of them are also big pushers Sky as a clean team.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
The Hitch said:
JV and others say people like Millar and Dekker show younger riders that doping isnt worth it.
Does JV seriously think he, David Millar or Dekker would be in the position they are now (manager / part-owner of pro team / member of pro team) without doping!? :eek:

I'll take 2 of whatever JV's drinking thanks, yeah the virtual reality bubble drink.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Dear Wiggo said:
Does JV seriously think he, David Millar or Dekker would be in the position they are now (manager / part-owner of pro team / member of pro team) without doping!? :eek:

I'll take 2 of whatever JV's drinking thanks, yeah the virtual reality bubble drink.
Who knows? In a clean (or cleaner) peloton they may have done better.

Also, you appear to ignore that both Millar & Dekker were caught and had to sit out 2 lucrative years, while JV quit at 29.

Do you think clean Millar or clean Dekker would get a chance on another team?
 
Dr. Maserati said:
Who knows? In a clean (or cleaner) peloton they may have done better.

Also, you appear to ignore that both Millar & Dekker were caught and had to sit out 2 lucrative years, while JV quit at 29.

Do you think clean Millar or clean Dekker would get a chance on another team?
That's not his point though. The point is that, currently, doping pays off even if you're caught eventually.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
hrotha said:
That's not his point though. The point is that, currently, doping pays off even if you're caught eventually.
In a cleaner peloton, those dopers, JV, Millar and Dekker, would have done even better for themselves, I don't really think that requires discussion. :confused:
 
Dr. Maserati said:
Who knows? In a clean (or cleaner) peloton they may have done better.

Also, you appear to ignore that both Millar & Dekker were caught and had to sit out 2 lucrative years, while JV quit at 29.

Do you think clean Millar or clean Dekker would get a chance on another team?
Not with Sky. They have zero tolerance. :D
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
hrotha said:
That's not his point though. The point is that, currently, doping pays off even if you're caught eventually.
Who's point?
DearWiggos points are whatever JV says = bad.

Anything else is made up. You cannot back up what you wrote.

Again, all JV can do is look after his team - he is not out there to solve all cyclings problem. His role as a GM then is to ensure that his riders are not under pressure and demanding results.
 
No way Floyd believes JV's cycling is clean statements. He really didn't want to back them up.

But on the whole a good show. Charming residences I must say.

Landis is comedy gold as usual.

TT the voice of reason.

JV good to pay everyone's dinner on the Garmin corporate card.
 
Feb 6, 2013
12
0
0
ChewbaccaD said:
No, this woman at the very end (after they said questions were over) started talking and went on a bit about her experience as a competitive cyclist, and then finally said "So here's my question." The moderator said "no more questions" and she went on, and he kept talking over her, and she kept trying to ask a question, and he kept saying she couldn't, and at the very end, right before the camera went off, she said something about the question is about "earpieces." I think she was punking them or something?
Yes, very annoying. Local bike shop owner. Claim to fame. Part of World Team Trial World Championship team in 1992:

http://www.bcshof.org/halloffamers/bollandtanner2003.htm
 
hrotha said:
That's not his point though. The point is that, currently, doping pays off even if you're caught eventually.
absolutely, doping pays off at least until now. All the doping "zombies" are sitting very pretty indeed: Hincapie, Leipheimer, VDV, TD, Contador, Schleck, Kloeden, DZ, Scarponi, Basso etc. Of course dopers such as JV and Riis are successful businessmen running their own teams. In hindsight doping offered huge returns.

Best investment ever.
 
Dazed and Confused said:
absolutely, doping pays off at least until now. All the doping "zombies" are sitting very pretty indeed: Hincapie, Leipheimer, VDV, TD, Contador, Schleck, Kloeden, DZ, Scarponi, Basso etc. Of course dopers such as JV and Riis are successful businessmen running their own teams. In hindsight doping offered huge returns.

Best investment ever.
Adding.....

every time I hit CN, I get an ad with doper Millar selling Fizik cycling shoes.

Can't see Basson doing those ads.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Dazed and Confused said:
Adding.....

every time I hit CN, I get an ad with doper Millar selling Fizik cycling shoes.

Can't see Basson doing those ads.
Serious question.
Who should they get to sell shoes? Bassons is not a current rider.

You said "doper Millar". Are you suggesting he still dopes? Or are you suggesting that because he doped he should not be allowed make money?

I think you had it pretty right in your original post:
Dazed and Confused said:
absolutely, doping pays off at least until now. All the doping "zombies" are sitting very pretty indeed: Hincapie, Leipheimer, VDV, TD, Contador, Schleck, Kloeden, DZ, Scarponi, Basso etc. Of course dopers such as JV and Riis are successful businessmen running their own teams. In hindsight doping offered huge returns.

Best investment ever.
Thats what JV was talking about. Now.
You pay a guy (reasonably) well - you get them to perform at the best of their ability, pressure them to do well, but be clear not to cross that line.

Can that rider make more coin elsewhere? Probably.
But there is more to 'what cost' then just the money.
 
Mar 18, 2009
221
0
0
read the thread thus far. someone earlier missed the talk and wanted
to know if anyone can link to a recorded version.
I wasn't able to watch
either and I would love to.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
ChewbaccaD said:
Tygart took a hit at Sky's idiotic zero tolerance policy. Good.
ThoughTFF should we really parrot this "policy" of Brailsford without heavily sarcastic apostrophes?

zero________
____tolerance
____________policy

<heavily sarcastic> apostrophe "zero tolerance policy" /sarcasm.

caveat:
i) unless you are British and are part of British Cycling
ii) unless you can win the Tour and are British
iii) unless you have a sound network with degrees of separation and a plausible deniability strategy to invoke when a crisis hits

Its BS that they talk about a Zero Tolerance, more like Zero Dark Thirty torture enemy prisoners. If Wiggins can win the Tour, and they can use Murdoch to spout this Orwellian dopecyclespeak, then we are all the idiots GW Bush talked about when he spoke of getting fooled his second occasion.

Brailsford, you suck.

you also look like Golem in LOTR.

you should have been knighted, Sir Lancelot.

Hoy, Brailford, Wiggins, and soon to be Cavendish.

Will be the Four Horsemen taking equine steroids like nandrolone until the Apocalypse and Cancer Jesus comes in with the rapture.

/tortured metaphor extraordinary rendered
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY