• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tyler on Jay Leno 2.01.13-Lance as Sleazebag

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Jay Leno was encouraging viewers to tune in tonight with Tyler Hamilton as the featured guest. He's interested in discussing that "sleazebag" Lance...

It's available as torrent if you know how to do that.

eta: Hamilton was very friendly, and looked just happy on the show. Leno kept prodding him to try to get juicier sound bites (maybe he really doesn't like Armstrong), but Hamilton didn't make any excuses and didn't attack Armstrong especially harshly, apparently not wanting to kick a guy when he's down. I liked it though.

I got the impression that Hamilton thinks, he did so many things that were so wrong, that it's not his place to crucify Armstrong, especially now that he's starting to show some small signs of contrition and that Hamilton cares more about getting him to open up even more. That doesn't mean he's ok with Armstrong now, but you can't go through life with hate in your heart all the time.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
yeah that too but also I inferred after reading TH's book that maybe he thinks there's some good guy deep-down inside LA.
You know, one of his good old buddies from the days of the Bad News Bears. If not that then it's at least that TH looks back
on some of '99 moments particularly fondly.

Athame said:
yeah that too but also I inferred after reading TH's book that maybe he thinks there's some good guy deep-down inside LA.
You know, one of his good old buddies from the days of the Bad News Bears. If not that then it's at least that TH looks back
on some of '99 moments particularly fondly.

I think TH is deeply a good person, with sometimes maybe too much respect for the others (as his Mum certainly told him to be), even if the other is kind of psychopath as Armstrong. I recently watched again the TdF stage in 2003 where Beloki falls and Armstrong takes a shortcut in a field, when Armstrong gets back on the road he's immediately caught by a chase group including Hamilton... who pats Armstrong's back and asks him if he's ok ! A few days later in Luz Ardiden climb, he chased after Ullrich to tell him to wait for Armstrong who had fell with Mayo. Definitely a boy scout.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
I got the impression that Hamilton thinks, he did so many things that were so wrong, that it's not his place to crucify Armstrong, especially now that he's starting to show some small signs of contrition and that Hamilton cares more about getting him to open up even more. That doesn't mean he's ok with Armstrong now, but you can't go through life with hate in your heart all the time.

Hamilton has his own sordid past so he can't be too righteous in going after Armstrong. What Armstrong did was 10x worse, but if Hamilton whines too much about Armstrong, then it sounds like he's blaming Armstrong instead of taking responsibility for his own decisions. He's also suffered from depression and is supposedly in therapy, and I would imagine that part of that therapy is to let go of the past and hatred and blame.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Given Hamilton's history with depression and everything it sounds so much more convincing when talks about "the truth will set you free" than when Sheryl Crow says it.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Gregga said:
I think TH is deeply a good person, with sometimes maybe too much respect for the others (as his Mum certainly told him to be), even if the other is kind of psychopath as Armstrong. I recently watched again the TdF stage in 2003 where Beloki falls and Armstrong takes a shortcut in a field, when Armstrong gets back on the road he's immediately caught by a chase group including Hamilton... who pats Armstrong's back and asks him if he's ok ! A few days later in Luz Ardiden climb, he chased after Ullrich to tell him to wait for Armstrong who had fell with Mayo. Definitely a boy scout.

It's a constant danger to look for Armstrong personality traits in all cheats. Armstrong seems to be fairly close to a functioning sociopath (like lots of very 'successful' people, I might add - he ain't Ted Bundy, folks). Indeed, Armstrong's personality flaws may be something cycling one day, bizarrely, has cause to be grateful for - because he ****ed off enough people, and too enough risks, that eventually the stories all got out, and we have this fleeting chance at revolutionary change.

compare with Indurain, who similarly constructed an epic career on suspicious grounds. But he was gentle, humble and decent to the peleton and others generally...and we never got close to stopping him, and the doped up peleton sailed on for years up to Festina.

martinvickers said:
I Indeed, Armstrong's personality flaws may be something cycling one day, bizarrely, has cause to be grateful for - because he ****ed off enough people, and too enough risks, that eventually the stories all got out, and we have this fleeting chance at revolutionary change.

compare with Indurain, who similarly constructed an epic career on suspicious grounds. But he was gentle, humble and decent to the peleton and others generally...and we never got close to stopping him, and the doped up peleton sailed on for years up to Festina.

Do agree with that,

I just think Tyler is making great use of that college education. He is so ahead of the curve! Best selling book, TV appearance money, and if he is really smart; a soon to be announced Gran Fondo! Lance, Levi, George and Floyd better take notes!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Puckfiend said:
I just think Tyler is making great use of that college education. He is so ahead of the curve! Best selling book, TV appearance money, and if he is really smart; a soon to be announced Gran Fondo! Lance, Levi, George and Floyd better take notes!

Floyd has a grand fondo :D

I recorded it on my DVR and it was a pretty good interview. It's definitely getting out that Lance was a bully. The American general public finally is getting this fortunately.

When I was forwarding through the show, I thought WTF?, why is the Hog was on the show. The 1st comedian on the show (Brian Palermo) is a doppleganger for Bruyneel!

johan-bruyneel-book-cover-website-21.jpg

brian-palermo.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Gregga said:
...when Armstrong gets back on the road he's immediately caught by a chase group including Hamilton... who pats Armstrong's back and asks him if he's ok ! A few days later in Luz Ardiden climb, he chased after Ullrich to tell him to wait for Armstrong who had fell with Mayo. Definitely a boy scout.

__________ yeah, that too. Although I should like to add that my only experience
__________ with the boi scts was 2 1/2 meetings :p

I should also like to add that, . . . I think your analysis can also support mine. I mean, he knew that arguing with LA was a "no win situ..," and he accepted that lock, stock and barrel--and didn't even seem to really mind! Anyone who can do that certainly can look back fondly on being an LA Lieutenant. Maybe he just sees what he might call "the good" in people.

TRENDING THREADS