• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Seen a few lately.

Lance Armstrong utalised the rest day at Australia’s ProTour opener Tour Down Under

Use a proper browser which gives you a red line!

Not trying to be a grammar nazi as I couldn't care, but others might deem you "unprofessional".

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Lance Armstrong utalised the rest day at Australia’s ProTour opener Tour Down Under to break ground at the sight of the Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer.

It's not just spelling. Please contact me if you'd like an online proof-reader / editor ;-)

Or did Armstrong really split the Earth asunder when he spied the Flinders Center for Innovation in Cancer?

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcdonald-to-defend-trust-house-title

We saw how professional the Drapac Porsche team was at last year’s classic,” Sandoval said. “They will come to the classis [classic] very well prepared, and with a full backup group of masseurs, a mechanic and a coach it shows how serious they are. If this team rides as it should it will [be?] a top contender to have one of its members take the overall title back to Australia.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Test Product Pricing

Including the product's currency next to the price (eg $1299 AUD/$US/STG) would allow all readers to smoothly estimate the cost in their part of the world, and be greatly appreciated:).

A

Anonymous

Gazzetta said that the Lampre-Farnese Vini rider has suspended Bernucci. Cyclingnews contacted the team but there was reply to questions about Bernucci, Negrilli's role in the team or concerning the police investigation.

What?

A

Anonymous

Ben swift apparently finished 52nd in stage six of pais vasco, and 72nd overall.. Not bad for a guy that wasnt in the race.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
It's all Double-Dutch to me!!!

Don't want to nag, but your copy does seem to have a remarkably high number of avoidable foreign language errors, for a site that's the 'World Centre of Cycling'. I come to you first for my English-language news and pictures, and this failing is my only disappointment. Am I being picky? It certainly undermines my enjoyment: self-styled experts in jobs like yours, the envy of cycle fans everywhere I expect, really should know!

Today you've used both acute, grave and no accents for 'Flèche', as in 'La Flèche Wallonne' - The Walloon Arrow.

Here's a tip:

è sounds like 'air', so gives 'flairche' - the one you need
é sounds like 'ay', which would make 'flayche' - clearly sounds wrong - ouch!

OK, not knowing, even in the days of Wikipedia is, perhaps, forgiveable (I personally don't agree), but inconsistency surely isn't; see:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/74th-la-fleche-wallonne-his

which shows this indecision/inattention quite nicely - you use acute, grave and none in the same article.

There's also Emma Pooley's win, where you've got Flèche errors again, and some new ones: in two adjacent sentences you have:

winning Flèche Wallonne with a strong attack on the Muy de Huy climb ... Briton Nicole Cooke (Great Britain) on the steepest section of the Mur de Hut

I've identified a problem, so here's a solution:contact me if you need a capable proofreader. I think you do. I'm currently freelancing and available, nearly 30 years' passionate interest in continental cycle sport, nearly 20 in editorial, 15 in IT. I've just seen your advert for a Bath-based French-speaking (amongst others) journalist, and whilst not possessing proven journalistic skills nor willing to relocate to Bath, I think that having lived in Italy and France (where I raced for a top amateur team), working as a proof reader for Graeme Fife and Rapha, and well as a contributor to 'The Ride Journal' and being well connected in the cycle industry, you might want to drop me a line.

My only concern is to make your site the best it can be. I'm a fan after all.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Come on! Eliminate these silly typos!

Ferminal said:
Seen a few lately.

Lance Armstrong utalised the rest day at Australia’s ProTour opener Tour Down Under

Use a proper browser which gives you a red line!

Not trying to be a grammar nazi as I couldn't care, but others might deem you "unprofessional".

Sorry - seen it again today: 'utalised' - http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...iling-the-2010-giro-ditalias-mountains/120670

I'm sorry, but I can't agree 100% with Ferminal either: don't use dumb spell-check features that don't understand nuance and don't actually check your spelling. Why not? Because you're a respected 'real' publication that should be proof-reading what you publish because somehow 'it matters'. Apart from very good photography, writing is the only thing you have do. So make it perfect.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
curtains said:
Sorry - seen it again today: 'utalised' - http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...iling-the-2010-giro-ditalias-mountains/120670

I'm sorry, but I can't agree 100% with Ferminal either: don't use dumb spell-check features that don't understand nuance and don't actually check your spelling. Why not? Because you're a respected 'real' publication that should be proof-reading what you publish because somehow 'it matters'. Apart from very good photography, writing is the only thing you have do. So make it perfect.
As shown in the highlighted- we can all write and hit send before we reread our posts.

The 'typos' in CN are sometimes annoying but it is a news publication in competition with other online sources - their priority is to get the information out as quickly as possible and I would assume it is only 'proof read' by others after it is uploaded.

When an error is pointed out they are quick to fix it.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
pedantic is ok but

curtains said:

excuse me, i see your point but if we all know the content matters more. let's just assume that it's within the margin of expected given the timeliness, and the hard work it takes to get things out to the readers ASAP.

i'd be fired 1000 times if it was me cause i take the approach of shooting my thoughts as soon as they hit the top of my head. let's give cn some tolerance.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
curtains said:

Yeah, and learn how to write complete sentences The Only Thing You have Do. Get a grip. Proof yer on stuff.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been a frequent visitor to the site for some time and been lurking around the forums but this article made me register just so I could post this. As a copywrite I cringed several times while reading this article:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-acknowledges-accepting-armstrong-donation-a-mistake

"My understand from blood testing done prior to Giro is that the results and are becoming more and more normal. As I sit here today if UCI was going to open a procedure on a rider I would be aware of it but I'm not aware of that now. I was pleased to see that battle on the Zoncolan between Basso and Evans. They are superb riders who are 100% clean and give a great image for our sport."

"I have never denied since becoming president that there has been a culture of doing in this sport. But I've also stated that there are cheats in every aspect of live and society."

I can't recall ever seeing an article with so many typos. It happens a lot on this site unfortunately (and I admit nobody is perfect so a mistake here and there is understandable) but this one is just sloppy in my opinion. Don't you have proofreaders over there? I'm willing to volunteer!

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Krisl6 said:
I've been a frequent visitor to the site for some time and been lurking around the forums but this article made me register just so I could post this. As a copywrite I cringed several times while reading this article:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-acknowledges-accepting-armstrong-donation-a-mistake

"My understand from blood testing done prior to Giro is that the results and are becoming more and more normal. As I sit here today if UCI was going to open a procedure on a rider I would be aware of it but I'm not aware of that now. I was pleased to see that battle on the Zoncolan between Basso and Evans. They are superb riders who are 100% clean and give a great image for our sport."

"I have never denied since becoming president that there has been a culture of doing in this sport. But I've also stated that there are cheats in every aspect of live and society."

I can't recall ever seeing an article with so many typos. It happens a lot on this site unfortunately (and I admit nobody is perfect so a mistake here and there is understandable) but this one is just sloppy in my opinion. Don't you have proofreaders over there? I'm willing to volunteer!

Thanks for pointing those out. I agree, embarrassing and my fault entirely. Blame jet lag and 10 days going flat out at Tour of California for getting lazy and posting before I read the last section thoroughly. Please understand the staff is really overworked at the moment and of course we're missing some stuff but we're trying to bring our readers a huge volume of content.

TRENDING THREADS