• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
just want to know what people thoughts are with tyre quality. Just had to buy some new tyres, and the range was scarry (along with some of the prices) do they make that big of a difference? (weekend warrior, not full on rider level)

cheers,

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
As someone who rides occasionally and mostly on the week-end, the last thing you want to have to bother about is your tires. Investing a little bit more in durable tires is a very good idea if you don't want to have your Saturday ride delayed or canceled due to a flat.

There are many options that are all viable options.

I personally ride Michelin Krylion Carbon tires and I'm more than pleased with the grip, the feel and the durability of those so far.

I rode Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elite tires which are supposed to last forever for 1891km and they were done for so I was a bit disappointed. Bad luck or bad tires, it's hard to say.

I've read a lot of good about the Continental 4000 tires, haven't tried them though so I can't give you any help concerning those.

All in all, spending a bit more on tires is always a good idea if you want to get more durable tires. You can also get lighter or racier tires but be aware that those GENERALLY last less than training tires like the Michelin Krylion Carbon.

I have used the Krylion's for a long time. Great all around tire with good tread life. You cant go wrong with them. Try the 700x25c width for a great ride without losing rolling resistance. Perfect for your riding habits.

Have also used the GP 4000's amazing tire but limited tread life (no surprise from a pure race tire). Just put on a set of the new Grand Prix (700x24c) and they are very plush and grippy; I only have a few hundred km's on them and have no idea about durability yet.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
i've ridden conti grand prix 4 seasons for the last 6 months and can not fault them. they're relatively light at c.225g for 23cc and have 2 layers of their 'vectran' puncture belt and material that makes them very resistant to cuts in the sidewalls. they're not as supple as some (just swapped to vittoria open corsa evo cx's for the summer) but you do get the reassurance of the extra protection. good luck!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
folding tyres do exactly what it says on the tin, to borrow a phrase. they have a more flexible kevlar bead than wire (non folding) beads. this makes them easier to fold (duh) but also has the bonus of being lighter than the non folding tyres. folding tyres are usually more expensive than the equivalent because of the reduction in weight.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
hotsocks3 said:
just want to know what people thoughts are with tyre quality. Just had to buy some new tyres, and the range was scarry (along with some of the prices) do they make that big of a difference? (weekend warrior, not full on rider level)

cheers,

They don't make a big difference. If you look at all the 'studies' on rolling resistance you will see the differences top to bottom are very small, most lost in the 'noise'. Weight differences are teeny as well and the 'flywheel' effect, weight at the rim, is small as well(tenths of a percentage point difference for double the weight). I think the only decision is wire bead or not. A low end tire, like Conti Ultra race or Vittoria Rubino pro, Ritchey foldable, are great tires, work well and are in the $20 range.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
i have just recieved my folding tyres, Schwalbe ultremo R, that were recommended by my bike shop (not in the area i live), what is people option of them? I live in a very hot area, (min 30's winter) upwards. so far they seem good.

thanks

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tufo, no

I just returned two Tufo tubular-clinchers because they had knots. I rode them for about forty miles to see if they would smooth out. No. Then dismounted and remounted the things and tried'em again. No. I thought it might be the rims. Remounted my old Rubinos. Rims OK. Expensive crap. Bought'em on sale at Excel Sport. 87.95 a piece. Stay away from Tufo is all I can say.

Mar 12, 2009
www.actvets.cc
I have tried a few tires over time and have to say my favorite is the Vredestein Tri Comps. Low Rolling Resistance, great puncture resistance and good wear life.

GP4000's are also good with slightly better puncture resistance, but no so good at handling tight corners at speed. I also loved my Force/Attack combo for racing, but just can justify the wear. The rear Force tire would wear out in about 2000 km.

Have not found a set of Vittoria that I like, either they puncture at the wiff of a piece of glass like the Corsa CX's or they roll like there glued to the road.

Michelin PRO 2's were the worst though. Got given 4 tires by a mate (now I know why) and either they wore out faster then the Force or kept getting puncture after puncture.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Conti Gator skins

steelciocc said:
I've been on Conti 4000s for a few years and am very pleased with their performance, wear, and puncture resistance.

For a more casual rider (or weekend warrior) that really wants to avoid flats I recommend Conti's Ultra Gatorskin (folding). Relatively light weight, very resistant to punctures, and pretty long lasting.

pbk has them on sale now at:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1320

I agree, I have found them to be fairly bullet proof. Good grip even in the wet, long life and very few punctures. I probably get 5000km out of a set.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Specialzed Mondos have been great for me, they decend like no mans business. I was so smitten with them I special ordered a few of the tubulars. Not the longest lasting tire, not bad. But going for durability I would have to go for the michelin.

Not the same quality as the clincher. Casing definatley sub par. Nice Latex tube.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Continental praise

Hey what a great thread. I ride Continental Ultra 4000 and GatorSkin on my two commuters. The Black Chili compound wears much better than the colored GP 4000s I've had in the past. In fact I am about 300 miles in and even the back looks brand new!

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I've got Michelin Jets on the X-bike. Nice on packed trail, but not wearing well on pavement (shouldn't surprise me). I've got a set of GatorSkins in waiting as I'm putting on way more miles on pavement than off right now.