• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tyson Gay tests positive

American 100-meter record holder Tyson Gay tested positive for a banned substance and said he will pull out of the world championships next month in Moscow.

Gay wouldn't reveal the substance in a phone conversation from Amsterdam on Sunday, but he said he was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency late last week that a sample came back positive from a May 16 out-of-competition test. He said he will have his "B'' sample tested soon, possibly as early as this week.

"I don't have a sabotage story. I don't have any lies. I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA's hands, someone playing games," said Gay, who fought back sobs as he spoke. "I don't have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down."

Asked who that person was, Gay replied: "I can't really say it. Sometimes a human being naturally, generally trusts somebody. That's what people do."

A triple world champion in 2007, Gay was healthy again this season after being constantly plagued by hamstring and groin ailments, along with a surgically repaired hip. He won the 100 and 200 at nationals last month, setting up an anticipated showdown with Usain Bolt at worlds.

But that's been scrubbed. Gay also said he will pull out of a meet in Monaco and fly back to the headquarters of USADA in Colorado Springs, Colo., to be on hand when his "B'' sample is tested.

A few years ago, Gay was part of USADA's program called "My Victory," where athletes pledge to compete clean. In his testimonial on the website, Gay said, "I compete clean because I really believe in fairness, and besides that, my mom would kill me! Just being honest."

more:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-tests-positive-for-banned-substance/2515733/

Funny this.

3 days ago Tyson Gay gave an interview for Dutch TV. Watch yourself, its mostly in English.

nos.nl/video/528531-gay-traint-slimmer-dan-voorheen.html

He says he works harder, trains smarter than before. Sounds familiar, right...

I remember all the outrage at the bbc that Gatlin had taken away the bronze medal from Tyson Gay.

roundabout said:
And on the same note, stories are coming out that multiple Jamaican athletes including Olympic champions have tested positive

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=46469

Olympic champions? No way would they ever let Bolt and blake down. VCB ios already down. So SAFP or the lesser names from the 4 by 1- Nesta Carter, Michael Frater. Or, ultimate let down, someone from days gone by.

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
One of the Jamaicans could be Sharon Simpson. She was supposed to compete at Madrid, but didn't show up. She has a gold medal from relay.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
USADA really mean business, it seems.

the feat Gay vs. Bolt was about to attract thousands if not millions of additional viewers for the worlds, so IAAF will be ****ed.

Nadal

It was great to see Bolt present the cup to Nadal in Paris. The French retain a sense of humour as they see their iconic sports events defaced by a combination of Spaniards and Anglo-Saxons (does labelling that represent some sort of progress?).

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
The only less surprising news than Gay testing positive would be Bolt and Blake testing positive.

I have to admit something horrible though, I really enjoy watching Bolt absolutely smash world records, despite having no faith at all that he is clean.

sniper said:
USADA really mean business, it seems.

the feat Gay vs. Bolt was about to attract thousands if not millions of additional viewers for the worlds, so IAAF will be ****ed.

No it wasn't. Bolt vs human limits has always been the attraction. Gay has never been more than a blip. Blake has attracted far more attention in his brief stint as 2nd best than Gay ever did.

Powell, Gay and Carter.

3 very big sprinting names.

After watching Ben Johnson in the 88 olympics I thought "Man people surely won't cheat after the scandal this has caught."

And then it turned out pretty much everyone in that final was doped up to the eyeballs.

And with the Festina affair - Well thought this again...

And then along came Lance Armstrong, and the rest of the peloton for at least the next 10 years.

People just love to cheat, don't they...

As long as there are financial rewards for victories, there will be people who want to push the boat out to succeed.

You could also argue that the 'purer' the athletic competition, the more likely this is to be a decisive factor. Yes, football, tennis etc are full of doping, but it doesn't raise the same kind of stir as it does in sports where the parameter changed by doping is the only relevant one. I.e. there is no drug that will turn a mediocre footballer's touch into that of Messi. However, there are plenty of drugs that will enable them to continue to perform at that level for longer than tiring opposition, which is where the impact of doping is felt. That's not as immediately obvious to the layman as in a sport like athletics (or indeed cycling, or swimming, XC skiing or some other 'pure' discipline) where doping CAN, and indeed does, turn mediocre talent into the best in the world. Performances like Johnson in 1988, or Rasmussen in 2007, or Mühlegg in 2002, are examples of extraterrestrial performances that anybody can baulk at, and given the histories of those sports it's no wonder there are suspicions.

But people still want to see those sports. The 100m (especially the men's) is seen as one of the most prestigious events in the Olympics, and it comes with a level of glory and attention not afforded to, say, Kenenisa Bekele. And as long as there is fame and glory and doctors giving you stuff they think will give you an advantage, there will be people willing to go that extra mile.

TRENDING THREADS