• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U.S. Government Opens Investigation of CNÂ’s Clinic Forum

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MacRoadie said:
The fact that Hitchens died six months ago may have been a clue. Anyway, Hitchens managed to be offensive to just about everyone, at one time or another. Folks in here tend to stay polarized and just offend the same people, over and over...

I am just helping hitch, don't come here with technicalities like death ;)

What was offensive with what he said? he questioned religion, and every aspect around it, i cannot see what was so bad about it. One of the greatest thinkers we had, such a shame he died at the age of just 62 :(

Vino attacks everyone said:
What was offensive with what he said? he questioned religion, and every aspect around it, i cannot see what was so bad about it. One of the greatest thinkers we had, such a shame he died at the age of just 62 :(

If you think Hitchens was a great thinker, you haven’t delved very deeply into philosophy. I’ll give you he was a powerful, galvanizing writer, and could be a joy to read, but that is very different from saying he had anything original or profound to say.

He had many controversial opinions besides his views on religion, e.g., his support of the Iraq war, and neo-conservativism in general. And though I personally supported his criticism of religion, even there his arguments were somewhat flimsy (I would recommend over him any of the other so-called four horsemen of the Apocalypse, Dennett, Harris or Dawkins). For example, he had to be very selective in his facts to make the claim that all religions tend to lead to violence, and outright blind to facts to imply that no non-religious nations are or were. Given that one of the major scientific criticisms of religion is that it tends to bend the facts to fit a preconceived conclusion, it’s rather ironic that God is not Great is full of arguments like these. You might say it was written with a fervor that bordered on the religious.

As for his dying young, of course it was unfortunate, but anyone who smokes and drinks in excess is asking for trouble. He was too intelligent and informed not to understand the enormous abuse he was subjecting his body to.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Admittedly, I am the one that spilled the beans to the govt approximately 1 week after my solicitiation to become a moderator was turned down. I did some soul searching that week while I was wishing I had a check book to balance. I concluded I could both cleanse my soul and eventually increase my income from whistleblowing and a book about the inner workings of the clinic all at the same time. I never thought soul cleansing could be so easy and profitable.

The reason for me not becoming a mod is because I have past infractions and have been found guilty of violating the forum rules. I admit that I have violated many forum rules, but not the one that ultimately disqualified me from moderator consideration. The moderating staff has always protected me and other forum members before from violating rules.....why slag me now with the 1 violation I have never committed when there are so many others to choose from?

This is a travesty, and I am sure the ambivalent forum members will forgive me with all their heart. I also have some ocean front property in Montana I wish to sell if any forum members are interested. I already have great offers from digger and the hog. Thanks.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Admittedly, I am the one that spilled the beans to the govt approximately 1 week after my solicitiation to become a moderator was turned down. I did some soul searching that week while I was wishing I had a check book to balance. I concluded I could both cleanse my soul and eventually increase my income from whistleblowing and a book about the inner workings of the clinic all at the same time. I never thought soul cleansing could be so easy and profitable.

The reason for me not becoming a mod is because I have past infractions and have been found guilty of violating the forum rules. I admit that I have violated many forum rules, but not the one that ultimately disqualified me from moderator consideration. The moderating staff has always protected me and other forum members before from violating rules.....why slag me now with the 1 violation I have never committed when there are so many others to choose from?

This is a travesty, and I am sure the ambivalent forum members will forgive me with all their heart. I also have some ocean front property in Montana I wish to sell if any forum members are interested. I already have great offers from digger and the hog. Thanks.
You and floyd are my heroes. Persecution sucks

Merckx index said:
If you think Hitchens was a great thinker, you haven’t delved very deeply into philosophy. I’ll give you he was a powerful, galvanizing writer, and could be a joy to read, but that is very different from saying he had anything original or profound to say.

He had many controversial opinions besides his views on religion, e.g., his support of the Iraq war, and neo-conservativism in general. And though I personally supported his criticism of religion, even there his arguments were somewhat flimsy (I would recommend over him any of the other so-called four horsemen of the Apocalypse, Dennett, Harris or Dawkins). For example, he had to be very selective in his facts to make the claim that all religions tend to lead to violence, and outright blind to facts to imply that no non-religious nations are or were. Given that one of the major scientific criticisms of religion is that it tends to bend the facts to fit a preconceived conclusion, it’s rather ironic that God is not Great is full of arguments like these. You might say it was written with a fervor that bordered on the religious.

As for his dying young, of course it was unfortunate, but anyone who smokes and drinks in excess is asking for trouble. He was too intelligent and informed not to understand the enormous abuse he was subjecting his body to.

Over Dennett? Dawkins sure, even Sam but i never really liked Dennett, mybe becasue he is not that funny :p

TRENDING THREADS