• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U.S. Society is screwed

53 x 11 said:
Shut up and eat your burger!

Carl's Jr. Double Six Dollar Burger. With medium fires and drink: 2618 Calories, 144 grams of fat, 2892 mg of sodium

carls-jr-double-six-dollar-burger.mcfats.com.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Carl's Jr. Double Six Dollar Burger. With medium fires and drink: 2618 Calories, 144 grams of fat, 2892 mg of sodium

carls-jr-double-six-dollar-burger.mcfats.com.jpg

That's about 2,5 hours on the bike at 1000 calories an hour. Anyone know how much that is in wattage? :rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
You thought the adults were fat. The children are even fatter.

* 37.1% of the children were overweight
* 19.4% were obese
* 6.4% were extremely obese

http://children.webmd.com/news/20100318/kids-not-only-obese-but-extremely-obese

I am confused with the obesity definitions using percentiles of the population rather than body fat percentages.

The confusion comes from the CDC. It seems any time the government gets involved, they have to use some sort of secret complex formula. It makes sense to no one but the ones that made the formula. It's kind of like unemployment and economy figures listed by the gov.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Video games,cable T.V.,uninvolved parents,all the rest of the electronic wizmo gizmo's are contributing factors.
I believe parents buy their children video consoles so they dont have to parent,I.E.,an electronic babysitter so to speak.Kids hole up in their rooms for days on end playing video games.Keeps em quiet and lets mom and dad watch the big screen T.V.!
Fast food giants who could care less about fat and sugar content in their products.
Watch the documentary"Super Size Me",produced by Morgan Spurlock<-(may not be spelled correctly)
He eats nothing but McDonalds for 30 days,3 meals a day.It almost killed him.
I believe his sugar intake was something like 30 pounds for the month.
At one point in the documentary,he actually pulled over and vomited out the window.
The problems of obesity in children are well known as are the cures.Its just that so much money is being made in providing the symptoms that it will never change.DOLLARS,DOLLARS,DOLLARS.To hell with healthy solutions.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

* 19.4% were obese

I am confused with the obesity definitions using percentiles of the population rather than body fat percentages.

Not to alter the subject but have you ever seen a map of the highest obesity rates and compared it to traditional "red states" on a political map?

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Not to alter the subject but have you ever seen a map of the highest obesity rates and compared it to traditional "red states" on a political map?

Who gives a rats azz gezzer.

What about the use of Ritalin, Prozac, and other "BRAIN" drugs in the traditional "blue states"? Try that out?

BroDeal said:

* 19.4% were obese

for many years i have made my living in health education. i DO understand the formula used for this analysis. combining height/weight chart values with the statistical "norm" would not be my method but it is very quick and cheap and allows for a very large sample size. in short, the method has strengths and weakness. for me the these numbers are "reliable" enough and the message has been communicated clearly for quite awhile now, we're in deep trouble.

the type of commitment from individuals, families, the business community, local, state, and federal governments necessary to reverse a trend that has been set in motion decades earlier and allowed to worsen unchecked for almost half a century would make the war in iraq/afghanistan look like a very minor inexpensive effort. i estimate that any honest attempt to remedy this problem is a decades long commitment from individuals, governments, and corporations. ie a very expensive 20 to 30 years worth of effort not to "fix" this problem but to just reverse the current trend.

improper nutrition/physical inactivity is a function of biology/evolution, psychology/behavior change, a near toxic food supply itself, education (no child left behind has done much more to hurt health/physical education than to help it), culture, resources, climate, environment, economics, etc. just think about how expensive it would be to provide accessible safe recreational open space for those hit hardest - poor urban dwelling minorities. and that's just ONE small component of this problem. michelle obama is on the cover of newsweek only a few weeks ago saying we can fix this. as the first lady, a powerless figure-head with no expertise and zero authority, is going to help fix childhood obesity? i'm glad we're putting our best people on this;) it will probably be as successful as nancy reagan winning the war on drugs. EXTREMELY patronizing to people on the "front lines".

just say no to french fries? are you kidding me?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Oncearunner8 said:
Who gives a rats azz gezzer.

What about the use of Ritalin, Prozac, and other "BRAIN" drugs in the traditional "blue states"? Try that out?

No question. One is fat and stupid and the other is hyper-sensitive and deluded. Either way we are screwed if we eat too much and take mind-altering drugs on a regular basis.

lean said:
for many years i have made my living in health education. i DO understand the formula used for this analysis. combining height/weight chart values with the statistical "norm" would not be my method but it is very quick and cheap and allows for a very large sample size. in short, the method has strengths and weakness. for me the these numbers are "reliable" enough and the message has been communicated clearly for quite awhile now, we're in deep trouble.

I think it is a really bizarre method because the norm changes over time.

I am amazed by the fat kids I see these days. The junior high school students are heavier than I am. The scary thing is that you see chunky girls with bar midriffs and fat falling over the jeans they are stuffed into. It is is like the condition is so normal that no one feels bad about it.

American society is based upon unbridled consumption, where all sense of decorous measure has given way to ever greater quantities that go beyond the necessary and into the excessive and superfluous.

When such a culture is also applied to food consumption, all the the so called diet education and exercise fads become ineffective when not completely useless. And the results are plain to see.

We need to come back within that decent measure of things, to in effect downsize American lives, in all respects, for serious change to occur. Though to do this the entire economic model, which drives the culture, would need to take on the necessary responsibility to regulate itself. This, however, seems rather remote.

To be objective, the entire prosperous world has followed the US lead, so kids in Europe, for example, are become fatter than they used to be too.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
good thread, wrong title.

the us society is screwed due to geopolitical factors not food.

many, prolly most nations on earth, eat much worse than the us public, their median life span is sad. they are screwed.

it's the western obsession with looks and chemicals that drives the issue in the wrong direction. in the us in particular.

python said:
many, prolly most nations on earth, eat much worse than the us public, their median life span is sad. they are screwed.

Soaring obesity rates combined with a healthcare system that is fundamentally broken with out of control costs and no realistic chance of meaningful reform means the U.S. is screwed. A lot of these kids will have healthcare problems that should occur in their sixties before forty.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Soaring obesity rates combined with a healthcare system that is fundamentally broken with out of control costs and no realistic chance of meaningful reform means the U.S. is screwed. A lot of these kids will have healthcare problems that should occur in their sixties before forty.
i dont contribute or even read the political topics here. because it is very judgmental though im very much informed and opinionated as anyone can be.

for an american citizen your concern is understandable. what im saying food (in most cases) or even a horrible health care, historically speaking, is not what doomed empires or individual nations.

lack of resilience, moral/ethical confusion, economic weakness did them.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Hugh Januss said:
I looked again, still can't tell, will take your word. You guys probably know more about chocolate covered bacon than us California granola eaters do.
Now I just can't figure which is worse.:D

Just once a year I indulge at the MN State fair. Not as if it's my normal diet.;) Though walking around that place you'd think it was for most people. I guess the big difference between us/them is we ride bikes for entertainment, they play video games and watch 5 hours of tv a day.

TRENDING THREADS