• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In the topic of U23 racing, Romain Gregoire of FDJ U23 swept the last three races of LBL U23, Giro del Belvedere, and GP Palio del Recioto-Trofeo.
As a first year u23 rider, the guy's a monster.
In the u23 LBL he attacked as one of 4 riders with 95kms to go, got caught (after his group went the wrong way for around 250m) and went with a group of overall 7 riders near the end and outsprinted all of them. He looks like the next supertalent.

Not a surprise after his junior results and knowing that most older talents (apart from guys like Van Eetvelt) are already pro by now. Looks like the whole 2003 year is kind of dominating the u23 ranks immediately cause of it. That and FDJ is just incredibly strong. Basically their whole roster can be a succesful pro in the future.

Reactions: postmanhat
Not a surprise after his junior results and knowing that most older talents (apart from guys like Van Eetvelt) are already pro by now. Looks like the whole 2003 year is kind of dominating the u23 ranks immediately cause of it. That and FDJ is just incredibly strong. Basically their whole roster can be a succesful pro in the future.
Yeah, that explains the first year u23 riders already being so good.
FDJ's strength is kinda crazy, they have him, Reuben Thompson, Samuel Watson, Lenny Martinez, Enzo Paleni, Lorenzo Germani...

Man Romain Gregoire is an absolute freak of nature. He's in the lead with Gloag and Van Eetvelt right now in the final of the Fleche Ardennaise and I don't see how he can lose this if they end up sprinting for the win. The guy is insane. If he starts he wins.

Must be annoying for a guy like Van Eetvelt. Choses to do another u23 year because he wants to win, then proves he's incredibly good uphill but gets some toddler who can literally do anything in his wheel every time.

EDIT: Surprise surprise, Gregoire won the sprint. Van Eetvelt with another 2nd place behind Gregoire, same as in LBL. Gloag 3rd.

Last edited:
Man Romain Gregoire is an absolute freak of nature. He's in the lead with Gloag and Van Eetvelt right now in the final of the Fleche Ardennaise and I don't see how he can lose this if they end up sprinting for the win. The guy is insane. If he starts he wins.

Must be annoying for a guy like Van Eetvelt. Choses to do another u23 year because he wants to win, then proves he's incredibly good uphill but gets some toddler who can literally do anything in his wheel every time.

EDIT: Surprise surprise, Gregoire won the sprint. Van Eetvelt with another 2nd place behind Gregoire, same as in LBL. Gloag 3rd.

Nice to see Gloag getting a result again after his promising 2020.

Also, Paris-Roubaix Espoirs has apparently been cancelled next weekend due to last-minute roadworks, and not enough volunteers to redirect around the new route :(

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
So apparently Van Eetvelt attacked on the descent, was clear but then went the wrong way. Turned around, was a few seconds behind Gregoire/Gloag, closed that gap again and was then beaten in the sprint (by a landslide).

He also said Gregoire was the strongest tho. The only way to drop him was in the descent. He almost succeeded.

Gloag was happy with his 3rd place. He said both Gregoire and Van Eetvelt were a bit stronger than him uphill, he was happy he was the only one to follow them.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Davide Piganzoli from the Eolo Komenta developmental team won the Vuelta a Bidasoa in Spain. Last year he finished 10th in the Baby Giro as a first year u23 rider, besides Ayuso (who was already coached by Dr. Millan) he was the only first year u23 rider in the top 10. This year he alreaddy had a few 2nd places in Spanish races and finished 5th in the Palio del Recinto

Na; he is from a generation that did witness the rise of Evenpoel. Already happy there is no Evenepoel in the toddler group... ;-).

Actually last year it was (maybe only visible from Italy).

I gave some feedback on this topic last year; from what I posted, there was a daily evening recap of the race last kms.
So indeed there was no live stream last year.

My question was after finding this:https://www.oasport.it/2022/06/giro-ditalia-under23-2022-date-programma-orari-tv-streaming/
stating...
"...The U23 Youth Tour of Italy will be broadcast on TV on RaiSport and Rai SportHD and in streaming on RaiPlay. .."

But when I checked the schedules, I could only find the evenings recap.

• Sad

TRENDING THREADS