• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I gave some feedback on this topic last year; from what I posted, there was a daily evening recap of the race last kms.
So indeed there was no live stream last year.

My question was after finding this:https://www.oasport.it/2022/06/giro-ditalia-under23-2022-date-programma-orari-tv-streaming/
stating...
"...The U23 Youth Tour of Italy will be broadcast on TV on RaiSport and Rai SportHD and in streaming on RaiPlay. .."

But when I checked the schedules, I could only find the evenings recap.
Yes, but I remember than those recaps where not geoblocked.

Reactions: Walter1234
Hayter just won stage 2 of the Giro.
Despite already seeing he'd won, I still had to do a double take after forgetting Ethan's younger brother is Leo. He's getting good at this solo victory thing, and although both are good TT riders (the family has both the elite and u23 national champs jersey) they seem to have developed completely differently. I wonder if that has anything to do with Leo going to a conti devo team as opposed to Ethan riding in the gb academy.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Despite already seeing he'd won, I still had to do a double take after forgetting Ethan's younger brother is Leo. He's getting good at this solo victory thing, and although both are good TT riders (the family has both the elite and u23 national champs jersey) they seem to have developed completely differently. I wonder if that has anything to do with Leo going to a conti devo team as opposed to Ethan riding in the gb academy.

Even if he wasn't named Leo, he'd still be Hayter.
I might have purposely worded my post the way I did in an attempt to throw people off slightly. However, the fact that I posted in the U23 races and talents thread really should have provided you with a clue.

• Haha
Even if he wasn't named Leo, he'd still be Hayter.
I might have purposely worded my post the way I did in an attempt to throw people off slightly. However, the fact that I posted in the U23 races and talents thread really should have provided you with a clue.
Oh yes! It definitely should! But there again some times my brain isn't in gear and that was one of those times!

Today's giro u23 has about 5.000m elevation gain.
But checking the roadboad, there is a 15km neutralized start up hill of another 1.000m climbing. So they will hit 6.000m today.... Who's idea was that?
They are starting down in Pinzolo village at about 780 m.asl, then kilometer 0 is at 1633 m.asl. Then they do 1,1 kilometer climbing up to 1681 before the long downhill.
Honestly I think it's really stupid to start the race so close to the hill top.
It would be better to start further down so a breakaway could form before the top and that the peloton could do the first downhill controlled. Now there might be attacks and stuff in the long downhill down to Dimaro.

Looking at the stage profile I see around 4000 meters of elevation in the 5 climbs, so I think the number of 5000 is with that neutral start included.

FDJ should have this race in the bag, right? Van Eetvelt probably the only one who could challenge.
Hard to look past them. Maybe the Colombians like Pinzon and Harold Lopez can give them a run for their money. Raccani was able to put over 1min into Mathias Vacek on a long, hard climb back in the junior ranks, so I'm also curious to see how he'll do on the longer climbs.
That said, today's stage with the super hard Passo di Guspessa (11.3kms at 11%) and the Fauniera MTF are much harder than the short climbs that we've seen most of the u23 races this year so far, so maybe it will be a chance for the pure climbers to shine.

They are starting down in Pinzolo village at about 780 m.asl, then kilometer 0 is at 1633 m.asl. Then they do 1,1 kilometer climbing up to 1681 before the long downhill.
Honestly I think it's really stupid to start the race so close to the hill top.
It would be better to start further down so a breakaway could form before the top and that the peloton could do the first downhill controlled. Now there might be attacks and stuff in the long downhill down to Dimaro.

Looking at the stage profile I see around 4000 meters of elevation in the 5 climbs, so I think the number of 5000 is with that neutral start included.
Procyclingstats labels the race 5.000m, not counting the neutralized start.
The GPX I had loaded on routeyou.com gave 5.300m. We will see ;-).

Hard to look past them. Maybe the Colombians like Pinzon and Harold Lopez can give them a run for their money. Raccani was able to put over 1min into Mathias Vacek on a long, hard climb back in the junior ranks, so I'm also curious to see how he'll do on the longer climbs.
That said, today's stage with the super hard Passo di Guspessa (11.3kms at 11%) and the Fauniera MTF are much harder than the short climbs that we've seen most of the u23 races this year so far, so maybe it will be a chance for the pure climbers to shine.
It will also depend on where the race really starts. Will we have a peleton until the last climb or will the race start early?
But I guess all sub 60kg riders will see their chances by launching the race early and wait for the last climb...

It will also depend on where the race really starts. Will we have a peleton until the last climb or will the race start early?
But I guess all sub 60kg riders will see their chances by launching the race early and wait for the last climb...
Yeah and in the u23 ranks we usually don't see conservative racing if you put in such a hard climb earlier.

Baby Giro literally having a better queen stage than the supoosed adult race
The Baby Giro and the Giro della Valle d'Aosta often have better queenstages than modern GTs. I've already made the joke that this is probably the reason why riders are now having an impact in the pro ranks right from the start, they are used to harder mountain stages.
Just look at the queenstage of the Giro della Valle d'Aosta, Arlaz-Tzecore-Joux is such an awesome combination of climbs:
20224_altimetria.png

Not to mention the really awesome first stage they had last year:
giro-ciclistico-della-valle-d-aosta-mont-blanc-2021-stage-1-profile-54ace61d4b.jpg

FVIYePXX0AIsyE1

A little star. He has 40". No idea what's going on in the group behind, but I assume FDJ has everything under control there with Gregoire and Thompson.

EDIT: Even Germani is still there apparently. I don't really like when certain u23 teams are that strong. Not that it matters probably as Lenny is just superior.

Also in the group behind: Leo Hayter (Axeon), Lennert Van Eetvelt and Lecerf (Lotto Soudal), Oscar Onley, Max Poole and Hannes Wilksch (Team DSM), Mason Hollyman (Israel Cycling Academy), Toon Clynhens (Elevate), Davide Piganzoli (Eolo-Kometa), Riccardo Ciuccarelli (Biesse-Carrera), ... (15 riders)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS