• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He has his own topic. There are some videos there, though i seem to recall seeing more extreme examples.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3lnXxVmVNo&t=35m

Reactions: Offline
At the UAE Tour

EvKkL_YXYAEVLlY

EvKkL_YXAAQ6woU

EvKkL_XXAAMocki

UAE in talk to get George Bennet (Jumbo Visma) and Marc Soler (Movistar).

La Gazzetta: 'UAE-Team Emirates targets George Bennett as helper for Pogacar'

Not only within the race, but also outside it, there is a little battle going on between UAE-Team Emirates and Jumbo-Visma. Last week it was announced that Finn Fisher-Black seems to make the move to the team of Tadej Pogacar.

Source: View: https://twitter.com/cirogazzetta/status/1410845121990512640

Marc Soler rumoured to be transferring to UAE-Team Emirates for 2022

Decidedly training UAE-Emirates Team really wants to strengthen the collective around Tadej Pogacar next year. After a rumor indicating the arrival of George Bennett (Jumbo-Visma) in the Emirati team for 2022, another important rider could follow the same path. Indeed, Marc Soler (Movistar) - former winner of Paris-Nice in 2018 - should join the formation of the World Tour according to information from Carlos de Andrés (commentator of RTVE )

Source: https://www.cyclismactu.net/news-tr...emirates-pour-espagnol-marc-soler-103327.html

Jumbo-Visma loses top talent Finn Fischer-Black to UAE Emirates

Finn Fisher-Black will no longer race in the Jumbo-Visma jersey next season, Het Nieuwsblad reports. The 19-year-old New Zealander, who now rides for the development team of the Jumbo-Visma, leaves for UAE Emirates.
According to our sources Jumbo-Visma also made him a good offer, but the Dutch team could not and did not want to compete against an exorbitant financial proposal from UAE Emirates. For Jumbo-Visma the departure of Fisher-Black is a sensitive loss, for UAE Emirates it's yet another hit on the transfer market.

Source: https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/jumbo-visma-raakt-toptalent-finn-fisher-black-kwijt-aan-uae-emirates/

Reactions: Offline
Fisher-Black, is the current New Zealand Under-23 Time Trial Champion and despite his young age, has already made waves in the professional ranks this year, recently claiming 4th place overall in the Baloise Belgium Tour (2.Pro) . He joins UAE Team Emirates immediately and is set to make his debut at the Ordizia Klasika (1.1) in Spain.
Mauro Gianetti (CEO & Team Principal) : “Finn is a very young rider with enormous talent. It’s no secret that our goal is to nurture young talents as we are doing with Pogačar, Bjerg, McNulty, Hirschi, Ayuso and so many others. We are building a team for the present but also for the future.

View: https://twitter.com/TeamEmiratesUAE/status/1417774368868999170

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think there is an assumption that because UAE had a half-sprint team last year, and didn’t have an Ineos-style galactico mountain train this year, they will continue to have a weak team going forward. It’s far more likely that their success is going to increase their budget, while at the same time making their bargaining position stronger; they will be able to recruit better riders for less money. When there is inevitably a TTT in next year’s Tour, they won’t cough up over a minute in less than 30km like the 2019 version.

I think there is an assumption that because UAE had a half-sprint team last year, and didn’t have an Ineos-style galactico mountain train this year, they will continue to have a weak team going forward. It’s far more likely that their success is going to increase their budget, while at the same time making their bargaining position stronger; they will be able to recruit better riders for less money. When there is inevitably a TTT in next year’s Tour, they won’t cough up over a minute in less than 30km like the 2019 version.
Looking at who will likely be on JV's team in the Tour next year, I'm not sure UAE would come that much closer to them tbh.

They finished 16th in that TTT. I'm fairly sure they'll finish higher next time out. I'm pretty confident they would've done a lot better this year.
I agree with that, but JV should be faster as well than in 2019, even though they won back then. Roglic, Vingegaard, van Aert and Dennis sounds ridiculous and then they still have some other guys who could join their Tour team as well who aren't slow TTers either.

I don't know about that.. why would a rider go to a team for less money and less opportunity? For the privilege of riding in Teddy's train?

There's 2 different cases they can make to 2 different types of rider;
For a young up-and-coming rider; we turned Tadej into a TdF winner*, we're going to give McNulty chances at GTs, we can put you on the same track.
For an experienced campaigner; Costa/Formolo gets to ride into Paris supporting the Maillot Jaune, but still gets his chances in the Giro/1-week races/classics. You can be the next Costa/Formolo for us.

Or, you know, you could take that big pay packet that Arkea/Lotto/Astana are offering you. You still won't be guaranteed leadership, or if you get leadership you won't get a full team's support, but you might see a guy in one of our jerseys winning the race. And good luck negotiating your next contract in 2 years time.

*I'm not saying they did make him into one, but it's a not-unreasonable claim they can make when negotiating with young riders.

Achermannn to join UAE. Their sprint success seems pretty limited with Gaviria and Kristoff so far, not sure had adding Ackermann to the mix will help that.

From a sporting perspective this doesn´t make sense at all.

He wanted to ride the tour this year and had been really disappointed, that they left him out. And now he thinks at UAE he has better chances to ride the tour?? For the next 10 years they will build their squad around Pogacar without a space for a sprinter...

Looks like money plays the major role here..

he was riding for minimum salary for the last years at bora so i can understand that he wants to get some money out of it but still kinda weird that recently ackermann said that if he would change teams he would chose opportunities & support over money .. but ok words show who someone wants to be and actions show who someone is i guess

The cyclingnews link does not work:(

Not sure Ackermann would be a good addition for the team. Maybe focussing on lesser big classics?

Almeida could be a good helper for Pogacar but that would mean putting his own ambitions aside, because UAE is already full of people wanting chances when Pogacar is not riding.

the following riders are end of contract:
Kristoff: def leaving
Costa: extending I think
Marcato: leaving?
Gaviria: leaving
Richeze: leaving
Formolo: extending?
De La Cruz
Polanc: leaving I think
Dombrowski
Valerio Conti
Bystrom: probably leaving
Riabushenko
Youssef Mirza: probably extending as he is from UAE
Alessandro Covi
Rui Oliveira
Ivo Oliveira
Christian Munoz

• Wow
Is this a good move by Almeida? I mean, he has the potential to win a GT without Pogacar, would he get his chances whitin UAE? Maybe he fancies becoming a Roberto Heras of Pogacar (no doping innuendo intended, pls).
I guess he'll get to ride at least one of the Giro or the Vuelta as the team leader, since nobody else who is on the team besides Pogacar has ridden that well in the gts over the last 2 years. Having Dombrowski and Ulissi with you in the mountains is already an upgrade compared to the support that he got at DQ.
Anyone knows what's gonna happen with Gaviria, will he stay? I doubt that they are happy with his performance.

The cyclingnews link does not work:(

Not sure Ackermann would be a good addition for the team. Maybe focussing on lesser big classics?

Almeida could be a good helper for Pogacar but that would mean putting his own ambitions aside, because UAE is already full of people wanting chances when Pogacar is not riding.

the following riders are end of contract:
Kristoff: def leaving
Costa: extending I think
Marcato: leaving?
Gaviria: leaving
Richeze: leaving
Formolo: extending?
De La Cruz
Polanc: leaving I think
Dombrowski
Valerio Conti
Bystrom: probably leaving
Riabushenko
Youssef Mirza: probably extending as he is from UAE
Alessandro Covi
Rui Oliveira
Ivo Oliveira
Christian Munoz

Who apart from Pogacar is a better GC prospect than Almeida?
I'm also not sure why he would go to a team where he won't be going to the Tour as a leader in the next years, but maybe he thought he's not ging to win it anyway and at UAE he at least gets money and can do Giro/ Vuelta as a leader?!

Who apart from Pogacar is a better GC prospect than Almeida?
I'm also not sure why he would go to a team where he won't be going to the Tour as a leader in the next years, but maybe he thought he's not ging to win it anyway and at UAE he at least gets money and can do Giro/ Vuelta as a leader?!

Why wouldn't he go to Tour? He could be protected rider at the start and there is always possibility Pogacar will have some problems (crash, ilness...). I see it as good transfer for him. Nice paycheck, team keeps upgrading roster and they have one of the biggest budget. He will for sure have decent support in GTs where he will be leader.

TRENDING THREADS