• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
UAE had Formolo and Ulissi as captains for the Giro this year. If Almeida is OK with riding the Giro (and I have no reason to believe he's not) he's already the de facto captain for it.

All of the other good riders they have or they are bringing in are domestiques and will serve as such. The only exception could be Ayuso. But they won't have him ride the Giro 4 months into his rookie season.

Uae emirates at this moment even with the new riders don't have a unbelievable team, like ineos/sky have/did, it's a team perfectly beaten.
What they really have is a almost unbeatable leader.
It’s a big turnaround, though. They went into 2019 with their GC leaders being Dan Martin and Aru. They’ve since unearthed the biggest GT talent in a generation, but also set about acquiring a lot of other GC talent over the last 2 transfer periods, picking up several of them as domestiques. They’ve stepped up a level or 2 in performance, but also clearly stepped up in terms of budget and ambition.

From that 2019 squad, they probably haven’t replaced Kristoff’s ability/experience in cobbled classics, but otherwise their personnel looks a lot stronger in every department.

I would have thought that Mohoric would make an excellent candidate as a domestique considering that he is also Slovenian. . Surprisingly the Slovenian contingent appears to have little power.
Why the assumption that a team leader needs his countrymen around? The nearest thing to another Slovenian at JV is Kuss.

I know teams like to recruit Colombians in 2s and 3s, but that’s for different reasons; Pogacar lives a day’s drive from Slovenia, and could live closer if he felt like it, so homesickness really doesn’t come into it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why the assumption that a team leader needs his countrymen around? The nearest thing to another Slovenian at JV is Kuss.

I know teams like to recruit Colombians in 2s and 3s, but that’s for different reasons; Pogacar lives a day’s drive from Slovenia, and could live closer if he felt like it, so homesickness really doesn’t come into it.
Tadej apparently likes some slovenes around him. He always roomed with Polanc and they let Hauptman be DS at most of Tadejs races.

I dont think it is a must for Tadej, but I am sure he would enjoy a slovene teammate and he is very close with Mohoric.

Bennett is one those riders whose results don't really match up to general perceptions of his value and ability. Real good pickup in my view especially if he is there just to work on key stages.

The glaring weakness in the squad for 2022 is the cobbled classics with it not looking like Kristoff is going to be replaced with anyone of similar characteristics though now it feels like they have climbing/allrounder depth to challenge in 2 Grand Tours a year.

The glaring weakness in the squad for 2022 is the cobbled classics with it not looking like Kristoff is going to be replaced with anyone of similar characteristics though now it feels like they have climbing/allrounder depth to challenge in 2 Grand Tours a year.

I guess it is hard to cover all aspects, even for a team with one of the bigger budgets.

They still have Trentin though for the cobbles who is capable of a good result and they have Ackermann or Hodeg, who could end up winning a bunch sprint in some of the easier ones.

Maybe Bjerg could develop in the future. He has a big engine and is only 22.

No more new signings announced, is that it?
Lightweights, I thought they would keep their one a day up for at least a week.

Feeling a bit of sarcastic tone here... but they have 20 riders on their roster for next year (thats more than most have atm if you look at a lot of the other teams).

This year UAE had 32 riders.

Most likely they will have something similar with a few extensions, they probably have not been announced yet.

I mean it is also probably good to leave 1 or 2 spots open to see what everyone else does or if someone becomes available later.

Definitely good for Tadej that UAE is getting stronger and stronger. Much have been said about Almeida as a leader at a GT without Pog but it's still feasible that he will help Pog at the Tour (after gunning for Giro GC for example).
Looking at the UAE startlist for Giro and Vuelta, it’s clear that they have space for another gc leader. Almeida would have a lot to offer as a domestique, but it’s also very clear that he will get leadership chances.

Have no problems to put my words on paper, so you guys are free to quote me later next year:

no doubt that Pogacar is the undisputed leader in UAE or in any other WT team

UAE has the budget to target all the 3 GT

so they are on a process to do that

for that they spent a lot of Dollars in signing a 2nd leader to target Giro and Vuelta

despite that we may think, and for sure we can have different views on that, UAE decided to bet on Almeida as their 2nd leader for GT

Almeida will surely work at some point for Pogacar, but IMO won’t be at any of the GT, they won’t spare such expensive asset on a domestique role, that’s why they spent money on Soler and Bennet

Finally if Almeida develops his potential to next season as much as he developed from the last one he may have a shot for GC 1st place at the next Giro

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
UAE Team Emirates announce wave of renewals
Gaviria, Costa, Covi and Polanc all sign new deals

WhatsApp-Image-2021-08-22-at-21.46.12.jpeg

Reactions: SHAD0W93
He just needs to be in shape again. In my opinion Ackermann could become an allrounder at UAE. He is not really a pure sprinter. Perhaps Ackermann also rides to help the leaders in some races. They don't even have a leadout for their sprinters. Perhaps Felix Groß could do the job.