• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, but what will they do with Hodeg and Ackermann? At the moment I think Gaviria is ranked on position third in the sprinter hierarchy ... Ackermann and Hodeg still have to show that they are faster at the beginning of next season.

I have also been wondering about their plans. Maybe they will just wait and see if one of them, Gaviria, Ackermann or Hodeg, reaches a really high level again. More chances that one of them pays off. All of them are capable, but none of them has had a good year.

I don't really understand why you said Ackermann is not a pure sprinter? I don't know that much about him, but to me he's exactly that, a pure and strong sprinter who at Bora profited when he had a good train.
Gaviria, in my eyes, might be the "weakest" of the three in terms of top-speed in best form, but the best of the three when it comes to positioning and finding his way - not that he's extremely good at that, but he seems better than Ackermann and Hodeg who need things to be prepared perfectly for them, to then launch a really watts-strong sprint. Gaviria, I think, is also the best climber of the three and would probably get a GT spot if they have one available, for the Vuelta maybe.
Hodeg, at least that's the way I see him now, has a really fast acceleration and can do a strong long sprint as well when he's in form, but he struggles with positioning and doesn't like to get involved in a messy sprint where he has to use his elbows or find his way. So he will probably not be a good lead-out, instead you need to put him at the end of a functioning train that delivers him at the front, then he can be really strong. Or maybe they can find a way to help with that problem.
Ackermann is similar in that he likes to be delivered perfectly, but for him timing seems extremely important; so he actually likes to have the same train, people who know each other really well, each time.
I think Hodeg is pretty good if the final is on cobbles, in general he's probably best suited for some flatter classics with cobbles, and he also says himself he really likes the classics. This year it was probably Ballerini at DQS who took most of the races that Hodeg would have been suited best for, the problem with classics is that they tend to be messy and positioning is important which, unfortunately... Still, I think the classics that are a bit too flat for Trentin should be good for Hodeg.
And Ackermann - correct me if I'm wrong, I think he's best when the race is as flat and straight forward as possible.

So, unless one of them shows he's really superior and should simply be taken to all the big races that's how I would distribute the sprints between them.

For the lead-out they have Molano, Groß, Troia? What about Gibbons? For himself or lead-out?

Reactions: Faserr
I have also been wondering about their plans. Maybe they will just wait and see if one of them, Gaviria, Ackermann or Hodeg, reaches a really high level again. More chances that one of them pays off. All of them are capable, but none of them has had a good year.

I don't really understand why you said Ackermann is not a pure sprinter? I don't know that much about him, but to me he's exactly that, a pure and strong sprinter who at Bora profited when he had a good train.
Gaviria, in my eyes, might be the "weakest" of the three in terms of top-speed in best form, but the best of the three when it comes to positioning and finding his way - not that he's extremely good at that, but he seems better than Ackermann and Hodeg who need things to be prepared perfectly for them, to then launch a really watts-strong sprint. Gaviria, I think, is also the best climber of the three and would probably get a GT spot if they have one available, for the Vuelta maybe.
Hodeg, at least that's the way I see him now, has a really fast acceleration and can do a strong long sprint as well when he's in form, but he struggles with positioning and doesn't like to get involved in a messy sprint where he has to use his elbows or find his way. So he will probably not be a good lead-out, instead you need to put him at the end of a functioning train that delivers him at the front, then he can be really strong. Or maybe they can find a way to help with that problem.
Ackermann is similar in that he likes to be delivered perfectly, but for him timing seems extremely important; so he actually likes to have the same train, people who know each other really well, each time.
I think Hodeg is pretty good if the final is on cobbles, in general he's probably best suited for some flatter classics with cobbles, and he also says himself he really likes the classics. This year it was probably Ballerini at DQS who took most of the races that Hodeg would have been suited best for, the problem with classics is that they tend to be messy and positioning is important which, unfortunately... Still, I think the classics that are a bit too flat for Trentin should be good for Hodeg.
And Ackermann - correct me if I'm wrong, I think he's best when the race is as flat and straight forward as possible.

So, unless one of them shows he's really superior and should simply be taken to all the big races that's how I would distribute the sprints between them.

For the lead-out they have Molano, Groß, Troia? What about Gibbons? For himself or lead-out?

Lead out:

Troia, Ivo and Rui Oliveira, Grosh, Gibbons, Bjerg

Reactions: BlueRoads
Ackermann doesn't only win with a good train. He is also good when he is coming from behind. He has showed that in the past at the Tour de Pologne and at the Giro. He needs to be self-confident for that. He doesn't have a big kick but a good 15 to 30 seconds power. If he has to, he is climbing really well.
His trainer at Bora (Dan Lorang), Ackermann himself and teammates said in interviews said he has a big engine. Ackermanns climbing is underrated, perhaps his pure sprinting ability is a bit overrated. I remember some results where he climbed really well. Compared to other sprints he needs to be in really good shape to win because he can't rely on his kick.

A new video with him at gcn germany.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAHJKtbNFtA

Just read Joxean Matxin interview to portuguese sports newspaper “ojogo” about the role of Almeida in UAE. To resume it in a few words:
Almeida was signed to be number 1 alternative to Pogacar.
They won’t ride together a lot next year because they will have separate goals and calendars
the idea is to have one team around Pogacar and another around Almeida.
Almeida will be the leader at the Giro
Almeida won’t ride TDF next year because according Matxin it’s to early for João.

So It’s confirmed what I said when was public that Almeida signed a 5 year contract with team UAE. He was obviously signed to be a leader with a team built around him and not to be Pogacar super Domestique.
So glad the he will have a serious shot to prove his worth.

Last edited:
Just read Joxean Matxin interview to portuguese sports newspaper “ojogo” about the role of Almeida in UAE resume it in few words:
Almeida was signed to be number 1 alternative to Pogacar.
They won’t ride together a lot next year because they will have separate goals and calendars
the idea is to have one team around Pogacar and another around Almeida.
Almeida will be the leader at the Giro
Almeida won’t ride TDF next year because according Matxin it’s to early for João.

So It’s confirmed what I said when was public that Almeida signed a 5 year contract with team UAE. He was obviously signed to be a leader with a team built around him and not to be Pogacar super Domestique.
So glad the he will have a serious shot to prove his worth.
Interesting, that also means that Pogacar will not ride the giro next year, in contrast to some statements at the beginning of the year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

That might mean a lot more money for the team I guess. Both teams actually have Italian roots, as UAE team grew from then Lampre, so not that unusual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
So next year are going to have a new GT winner. I am no UAE fan but the prospect of a GT without Pog, Rog and Bernal should be really fun.

But I fear Almeida will get teamed up with Soler?! :O I still have no idea how Soler as a domestique is ever going to be a good idea :tearsofjoy:

Now there's no Olympics next year Pogacar will just add another Tour and first Vuelta to his palmares before going for the harder challenge of a Giro-Tour double.

Can't see Almeida getting a chance at the Tour unless Pogacar is injured/crashes out/not in shape after Giro win.