• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE-Team Emirates thread

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So in the last 8 weeks or so the team had at least following positive tests in competition, Almeida in the Giro, Ayuso in the Dauphiné, Hirschi in Switzerland, Bjerg in Slovenia, Længen, Bennett and Majka in the Tour.

I know that avoiding getting infected by covid is difficult as this is one of the most infectious viruses ever but I wonder if their bubble isn't as tight as others like Ineos or Jumbo and if they won't regret this.

They've been very unlucky with COVID in this Tour.
Trentin couldn't even start and was Pog's main man for the flat stages. Bennet and Laengen out a few days later. Hirschi was probably not ready for the Tour and looks miserable.
On the other hand Majka is getting better and better, could be a weapon in the final week.

Reactions: Lui98
They did strengthen the team but they have to also take those people to the Tour.

Covi could def have been a help and even an Ayuso, although young, could have been a good help. And ayuso could learn a lot.

And then there is Almeida….I understand he was taken to UAE with the promises of leadership but I dont know how he could not have combined the giro with working for Tadej in the Tour? He surely will have to work for Pogacar in the next few years so UAE can get a few other strong men (not many on the market this year).

Bennett, Majka and Mcnulty looked fairly good, but the team also had a lot of bad luck.

in overall, UAE needs to sit people down and tell them what the job is. 80% of even the first stages Tadej was sitting all alone in the peloton trying to hang his wheel to another teams train. It looked ridiculous.

They did strengthen the team but they have to also take those people to the Tour.

Covi could def have been a help and even an Ayuso, although young, could have been a good help. And ayuso could learn a lot.

And then there is Almeida….I understand he was taken to UAE with the promises of leadership but I dont know how he could not have combined the giro with working for Tadej in the Tour? He surely will have to work for Pogacar in the next few years so UAE can get a few other strong men (not many on the market this year).

Bennett, Majka and Mcnulty looked fairly good, but the team also had a lot of bad luck.

in overall, UAE needs to sit people down and tell them what the job is. 80% of even the first stages Tadej was sitting all alone in the peloton trying to hang his wheel to another teams train. It looked ridiculous.

UAE surely needs to get their act together regarding team composition for GT. They also need to rework their race tactics because they made several tactical mistakes through out this season.
Comes to my mind Catalunya tour where they only lost the final GC because of bad tactics when it seemed obvious that they had the stronger rider at that race.
Giro and Tour where kind off the same in terms of the lack of strengh of their domestiques, not being able to be with Almeida and Pogacar at those crucial stages, forcing both to react to attacks that otherwise would be made by domestiques.
Next year with the lack of available domestiques for signing they need to attach Almeida to Pogacar´s preparation regarding the tour because Almeida is atm the only UAE rider that has the ability to consistently be with the best in those long high mountain climbs! Lets see if Almeida will be open to the idea of forget for next season his individual goals and ambitions!

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
Next year is easy. Put Almeida and Ayuso in the Tour to help Pogi. If we join Majka and Mcnulty to the team, they will be very powerful for the mountains. I have a trange feeling that next year we will have a TTT and that isn't good for UAE.
I have a feeling they indeed will put a TTT in next year def with the comments of Prudhomme that he would not mind Van Aert winning the tour.

Now if UAE then takes Bjerg, Almeida and Mcnulty they could maybe still safe some damage.

Do you need the 5th rider time in TTT or 4th?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Actually their team for the mountains was very good Majka was there until late in the stages, Bjerg/McNulty did a vintage sky... If everyone of them is able to do the same plus Bennett and Soler not abandon and Hirschi actually useful, they'd be a good support.
What they really miss is a proper road captain to organize the team early in the stages. Wasn't Trentin that guy?

Reactions: Sandisfan