• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2020, February 23- February 29

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

Clipboard.jpg

A minute between the top 2 and another half or so to the next three is an unexpected outcome for me.
Thought Yates took off just to break the rhythm in the bunch, but he destroyed them completely.
Pogačar underperformed and will have a hard time making this up the day after tomorrow.
There's that stage close to the coast too, so the race is still on, although...

I think this stage race is over. Quintana-esque (2020) performance by Yatesy. Pogacar not bad--probably stronger at this point in the season than he was last year. Valverde not in form. Well, it's very early in the season.
He's a year older and this year he's going to the Tour in july so it would only make sense that he's in beter shape compared to last year at this point.

Reactions: JosephK
Pogacar had a couple of peaks last year, including a late-ish one at the Vuelta, so he may have been looking for a slower build up this year.

He's targeting the Tour so I'd wouldn't read much into this result -- although I'm sure he would have gone for the win if he could have.

Yates might be the best mountain stage hunter out there right now; he could win another GT under the right circumstances. Outstanding rider. I'm a fan.

Reactions: claude cat
Pogacar had a couple of peaks last year, including a late-ish one at the Vuelta, so he may have been looking for a slower build up this year.

He's targeting the Tour so I'd wouldn't read much into this result -- although I'm sure he would have gone for the win if he could have.

Yates might be the best mountain stage hunter out there right now; he could win another GT under the right circumstances. Outstanding rider. I'm a fan.

Problem is usually the ITT. Although the Yates bros have had some great TT performances every once in a while. Like Simon Yates winning a more or less flat 25k TT in Paris Nice last year: