• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2020, February 23- February 29

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Movistar has some sponsorship responsibilities in Colombia and therefore the Colombian signings. That Quintana ended up being a great rider was a plus. Movistar did not pay very high their domestiques that's the true reason why some of their best domestiques leave. Amador, Castroviejo, Carapaz (at that point when he signed). Riders leaving because of Quintana's personality is the biggest BS I have heard in a long time. Where do you think they are? in High School?

I believe that Quintana and Movistar relationship was already broken. Especially when they brought Landa to put pressure on him. That was a very poor move. Very poor. Anyway you want o see it. If Quintana flourishes in Arkea you must have to question Movistar a little bit. You have to. Even if Quintana has a hard personality you cannot let that go without a critical eye.

I dunno… appears to me that the fact that the remaining Movistar riders - including the newcomers - seem to get along pretty well, and Quintana seems to get along pretty well with the riders on Arkea, indicates that the issue is not Movistar or Quintana, but just that - in the end - Quintana didn't fit with Movistar. Some times that doesn't mean right or wrong…

Reactions: Koronin
Movistar has some sponsorship responsibilities in Colombia and therefore the Colombian signings. That Quintana ended up being a great rider was a plus. Movistar did not pay very high their domestiques that's the true reason why some of their best domestiques leave. Amador, Castroviejo, Carapaz (at that point when he signed). Riders leaving because of Quintana's personality is the biggest BS I have heard in a long time. Where do you think they are? in High School?

I believe that Quintana and Movistar relationship was already broken. Especially when they brought Landa to put pressure on him. That was a very poor move. Very poor. Anyway you want o see it. If Quintana flourishes in Arkea you must have to question Movistar a little bit. You have to. Even if Quintana has a hard personality you cannot let that go without a critical eye.

Herrarda brothers left for Cofidis, the Izagirre brothers left for Barhain and now Astana where they are leaders.

Quintana and Movistar management relationship was broken before Landa was brought in. I suspect 2016 is when things started going downhill. During that off season was when Quintana was insisting on racing the Giro/Tour double Movistar let him do it and then after Quintana blames Movistar for forcing him to do that when he wanted to do it in the first place. That's when they signed Landa. From what I've heard Quintana has a difficult personality for other riders to deal with. I still think Quintana never should have re-signed or been re-signed for the final 2 years of the contract and should have gone elsewhere at that point. I think that would have been best for both him and the team.

Carapaz' value must have skyrocketed after the Giro anyway. From what I understand he was on peanuts at Movistar before and with Movi having Valverde, Quitnana and Landa he might have simply been very eager to move away.

I doubt Ineos now pays Carapaz more than he could make elsewhere.

Except he has already signed a contract with Ineos BEFORE the Giro, so what he did at the Giro didn't do anything for his contract.

Herrarda brothers left for Cofidis, the Izagirre brothers left for Barhain and now Astana where they are leaders.

Quintana and Movistar management relationship was broken before Landa was brought in. I suspect 2016 is when things started going downhill. During that off season was when Quintana was insisting on racing the Giro/Tour double Movistar let him do it and then after Quintana blames Movistar for forcing him to do that when he wanted to do it in the first place. That's when they signed Landa. From what I've heard Quintana has a difficult personality for other riders to deal with. I still think Quintana never should have re-signed or been re-signed for the final 2 years of the contract and should have gone elsewhere at that point. I think that would have been best for both him and the team.
Yep, problems started after the Tour 2017. Quintana's father criticized Movistar and Unzue publicly, they apparently forced Nairo to do back to back Giro and Tour, although Quintana himself stated multiple times earlier that year that he's keen to do that.
Then next year Landa came aboard. Mistake was either his coming, or Quintana's staying. With both of them in the team, there was a lot of "bad blood". Although I must say Landa's behavior was a little better than Nairo's.

Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS