• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2021, February 21 - February 27

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yates is an amazing climber in those stage races early in the season. Some were saying yesterday that he would've to go thermonuclear to beat Pogi today. Well, he did. Again. Ok Tadej won the stage but Yates looked a little bit stronger. He was doing the pace on the climb for the whole time. And yes it's Adam, not Simon. Honestly I believe Adam has been the better climber of the two in the last couple years, not by much though. When they are on their peak form, they are both scary strong.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yates is an amazing climber in those stage races early in the season. Some were saying yesterday that he would've to go thermonuclear to beat Pogi today. Well, he did. Again. Ok Tadej won the stage but Yates looked a little bit stronger. He was doing the pace on the climb for the whole time. And yes it's Adam, not Simon. Honestly I believe Adam has been the better climber of the two in the last couple years, not by much though. When they are on their peak form, they are both scary strong.
But (in a different way) difficult for both of them to deliver at their highest level throughout a GT. Only once for both of them.

Also, classic Kuss. You hear people talking how he'd contend for victory in a GT if he had freedom. But when he has the opportunity, he never delivers and ends up being a domestic even in smaller races when he is the designated leader. He is the classic pure climber, "best climber in the World" on his day, but very inconsistent and performs only in low pressure situations. On the other end it's true that he is most suited to hard mountain stages you often find only in GTs. We'll se in the Vuelta. Hopefully he succeeds.

I disagree, pogi was the strong rider, yates tried everything but still wasn't enough.

Also, classic Kuss. You hear people talking how he'd contend for victory in a GT if he had freedom. But when he has the opportunity, he never delivers and ends up being a domestic even in smaller races when he is the designated leader. He is the classic pure climber, "best climber in the World" on his day, but very inconsistent and performs only in low pressure situations. On the other end it's true that he is most suited to hard mountain stages you often find only in GTs. We'll se in the Vuelta. Hopefully he succeeds.
I think I agree with this. He is more fitted to long multiple mountain stages.

Yes I was looking at the climbing records site just now

IRtUO5u.png

Jebel Hafeet
2021:10,9 km@6,8%---25:57---average speed 25.20 km/h(Pogacar-A.Yates)-RECORD
2020:10,9 km@6,8%---26:15---average speed 24.91 km/h(Pogacar-Lutsenko-A.Yates)
2020:10,9 km@6,8%---26:10---average speed 24.99 km/h(Adam Yates)
2019:10,9 km@6,8%---26:40---average speed 24.53 km/h(Valverde-Roglic-Gaudu)
2018:10,9 km@6,8%---26:25---average speed 24.76 km/h(Valverde-M.A. Lopez)
2017:10,9 km@6,8%---26:33---average speed 24.63 km/h(Rui Costa-Zakarin)
2016:10,9 km@6,8%---28:57---average speed 22.59 km/h(Tanel Kangert)
2015:10,9 km@6,8%---27:02---average speed 24.19 km/h(Esteban Chaves)

Source:
OK. This is Contador territory in 2009 Verbier. Very similar. Contador was around the 6.7 W/Kg if I am not mistaken. This climb was 10.8 Km while Verbier was 8.2 Km.
I don't understand Adam Yates. Seriously, this guy looks like the best rider of the world at the beginning of the season and then he fades like crazy as the season continues on. I am not sure is that is normal on he could have other issues.

I think this is a bit harsh here.
In the beginning he followed the best climbers Pogacar and Yates. When he realised that he couldn´t follow them and so he couldn´t fight for the stage win, he decided to help his teammate, who is in a better position in the GC. I agree that he never deliverd as a leader until now, but he also didn´t get much changes until now. And it´s also very early in the season..

I think this is a bit harsh here.
In the beginning he followed the best climbers Pogacar and Yates. When he realised that he couldn´t follow them and so he couldn´t fight for the stage win, he decided to help his teammate, who is in a better position in the GC. I agree that he never deliverd as a leader until now, but he also didn´t get much changes until now. And it´s also very early in the season..
I didn't want to criticise him. It was more of an observation. I wasn't talking only about this stage, but also about yesterday when he got caught behind (he is not the only one I know) and last year when he was the leader or co-leader in Provence and Burgos. Or even in the Vuelta, where after Dumoulin quit, he was the co-leader on paper and looking good. Then the next day loses 10 minutes. But generally I agree with your post.

Powless and Vanhoucke are good enough to be top 10 here . Who else do you expect to be there?
It's worth noting that it's going to be Powless' first top10 (excluding single stages) in WT, even though he's already had a few opportunities to lead the team at some lesser WT races like Tour Down Under or Tour de Pologne. I would also say he was quite disappointing overall last year so it's a nice turnaround for him to do better here.

Is this a pure climber day? One 25 minute climb?
So far he is clearly better (relatively) on multi-mountain stages.

Also if riding for himself he finishes 3rd today. Once the stage win was off the table he rightly waited for Harper. He wasn't that far off considering how fast Pogacar and Yates went.

Is this a pure climber day? One 25 minute climb?
So far he is clearly better (relatively) on multi-mountain stages.

Also if riding for himself he finishes 3rd today. Once the stage win was off the table he rightly waited for Harper. He wasn't that far off considering how fast Pogacar and Yates went.
No. But that's what I'm saying. That's why he wasn't able to follow the two strongest riders. But I agree with you. If he rides 100% till the end, he probably finishes 3rd, which is still a great result.

OK. This is Contador territory in 2009 Verbier. Very similar. Contador was around the 6.7 W/Kg if I am not mistaken. This climb was 10.8 Km while Verbier was 8.2 Km.
I don't understand Adam Yates. Seriously, this guy looks like the best rider of the world at the beginning of the season and then he fades like crazy as the season continues on. I am not sure is that is normal on he could have other issues.

Since the beginning of his career, Yates has tended to fade after July, though he has improved this aspect in the last 2 or 3 years - My suspicion is that he doesn't handle heat well which causes his performances to taper off.

Here we go again...

I wonder if desert peoples have as many names for the sand as Eskimos have for the snow.
Asa far as I know, in Arabic Ramal is sand and it can have the usual adjectives. From what I remember Inuit languages essentially modify a base word rather than use adjectives, when describing snow. So while English may call it deep snow, inuit languages would essentially compound them, to deepsnow (although I don't think it's that simple). Doesn't German do this kind of thing too?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS