• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2021, February 21 - February 27

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Strong performance by Yates and Pogacar (Adam worked harder due to air resistance so his ride is more impressive). Glad that Poga made an important step towards victory today. Does anyone know what's their climbing time (compared to last year)?

Here:

I think we can all appreciate Sepp Kuss doing a five second attack to drop his own team's GC threat, getting caught in a hopeless chasse-patate, then sitting in the group gawking backwards just long enough to guarantee that Harper wouldn't be able to make it back onto the group before dropping back to help him. I can only surmise that he saw the yellow shoulders and blue centre of Higuita's jersey, mistook it for Rogla's, and out of habit dropped into line in the middle of the group, sat in front of the guy in yellow and blue, and started doing no work.

I think we can all appreciate Sepp Kuss doing a five second attack to drop his own team's GC threat, getting caught in a hopeless chasse-patate, then sitting in the group gawking backwards just long enough to guarantee that Harper wouldn't be able to make it back onto the group before dropping back to help him. I can only surmise that he saw the yellow shoulders and blue centre of Higuita's jersey, mistook it for Rogla's, and out of habit dropped into line in the middle of the group, sat in front of the guy in yellow and blue, and started doing no work.

There could be more truth in that than you think. I watched with one eye, my mind on work, and at one point when I saw Higuita was like "what's Roglic doing in that race..."

Absolutely not. It was just a bit of a joke. His riding style does look ugly though (to me).
Riding "styles" don't mean much to me. I remember pretty much everyone loved Alberto Contador's riding style but when AC had a rare bad day he looked the same climbing but just went slower. Like Galibier 2011.

What is important is courage, tactical daring and willingness to suffer. Pogi showed the latter today and he will win this race because of it.

Asa far as I know, in Arabic Ramal is sand and it can have the usual adjectives. From what I remember Inuit languages essentially modify a base word rather than use adjectives, when describing snow. So while English may call it deep snow, inuit languages would essentially compound them, to deepsnow (although I don't think it's that simple). Doesn't German do this kind of thing too?
Yupik is not Inuit, but both are Eskimo. And both have many different words for snow with completely different roots.

I worry for Koronin's well being this year if Valverde or Movistar don't start performing better. Soon the only one that can bring them joy is Lopez, a rider that She does not like either. Oh well, it is going to be a long year.

It's very easy to not watch cycling in the US. It's actually very difficult to actually watch it. Plenty of other sports here to watch, and we're definitely getting the NCAA basketball Tournament this year. So instead of not bothering with watching or paying much attention to cycling after this year, may as well just start now.

By the way, Pogacar winning today was expected and can we now just give him the trophy as it should be fully apparent no one else can beat him in this race.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Movistar's boss has flat out said if they weren't required to go to cobbled races they wouldn't. It's far from the first time they have gone to races they have no interest in doing anything at all on. The direct quote is "We're just here to gain racing pace". That really doesn't sound like any motivation to be there other than to get a payday from the organizers who pay teams and star riders appearance fees to show up.
Yeah, he maybe said that couple of years ago, when they had a *** team for those races. Now is a little bit different, they got decent team, I doubt he would say that now. Also, with Valverde in the team all these years, Movistar didn't enter one single race as a pure training with that guy on the start line.

Yeah, he maybe said that couple of years ago, when they had a *** team for those races. Now is a little bit different, they got decent team, I doubt he would say that now. Also, with Valverde in the team all these years, Movistar didn't enter one single race as a pure training with that guy on the start line.

Well they said it about UAE this year and truthfully, I'm not entirely sure they are even good enough for it to be a training race.

Since the beginning of his career, Yates has tended to fade after July, though he has improved this aspect in the last 2 or 3 years - My suspicion is that he doesn't handle heat well which causes his performances to taper off.
He came second in l'Avenir, won Industria & Artigiano, won San Sebastian, 2nd in Montreal, 2nd in Tour of Alberta, twice podiumed Milano-Torino, won CRO race: not too drastic a post-July fade.

Reactions: Orbit501
It's very easy to not watch cycling in the US. It's actually very difficult to actually watch it. Plenty of other sports here to watch, and we're definitely getting the NCAA basketball Tournament this year. So instead of not bothering with watching or paying much attention to cycling after this year, may as well just start now.

By the way, Pogacar winning today was expected and can we now just give him the trophy as it should be fully apparent no one else can beat him in this race.
Or find other riders to enjoy watching. Imagine when I was pushing for the Colombians in the 80's and soon came the 90's to discover that they were wiped out completely from the Peloton. Almost like extinction. I still managed to watch the races when I could. Cycling go to phases just like riders. Such is life.

Last edited:
Or finds other riders to enjoy watching. Imagine when I was pushing for the Colombians in the 80's and soon came the 90's to discover that they were wiped out completely from the Peloton. Almost like extinction. I still managed to watch the races when I could. Cycling go to phases just like riders. Such is life.

See that's the problem. There isn't anyone else in the peloton that I care enough about to search for races and after this year races will be even more difficult to watch in the US. It's not like college football or basketball in which has 8 national cable/satellite stations plus network stations that carry those games. NFL has Redzone that's part of any sports package (cable/satellite and streaming) that station allows you to easily follow your team when you don't live in the right market. NBA, NHL, and MLB are easy to watch. Even with NBC shutting down NBCsports, the NHL has their own station that shows a lot of games all through the season. Granted NBC is trying to make auto racing harder to watch. Cycling in the US has less than 10 races even broadcast, you have to have a VPN or pay for watching anything else or hope a site like Tiz has what you're looking for. Streaming in and of it's self is hard because it's harder to time shift races with streaming instead of cable/satellite and just DVRing what you want to watch and then watch it later.

• Sad
Tomorrows stage. Wind should be from the west, about 20kmh, so if some teams are up to it they can again force some crosswind action. But I think it should be less windy than stage 1.

Stage 4 » Al Marjan Island › Al Marjan Island (204k)

Esu27nBXIAEMofa

19QzpZ9.png

TRENDING THREADS