• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UAE Tour 2021, February 21 - February 27

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
and I just rewatched the footage and it looked more like Polanc was just patting him on the back to,say he was safe. 10 seconds penalty is a bit harsh

If they applied that rule as strictly then we would have a lot of people losing minutes in a stage.

UAE boys

EvKkL_YXYAEVLlY

Last edited:
Nice sprint. Dekker not as good when he hit the front. But impressive positioning. Viviani with his best sprint for Cofidis.
think that is understandable. If you watched closely Dekker had to come from 40/50th position to the wheel of Bennett in just 2km. I think he was pretty much out of energy when the sprint started. He even stated as much. Easier when you have the best train working for you ;)

Although even without that train it's clear for some time now Bennett I think currently just that bit better than all other sprinters.

It will be interesting to see if there’s another all in wrestling match for Bennett’s wheel tomorrow, with everyone hoping to be the guy in position to benefit if DQS get their timing wrong. Or if other teams try something else. I suspect that another sprinter is more likely to get Bennett if the sprint gets messy.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It will be interesting to see if there’s another all in wrestling match for Bennett’s wheel tomorrow, with everyone hoping to be the guy in position to benefit if DQS get their timing wrong. Or if other teams try something else. I suspect that another sprinter is more likely to get Bennett if the sprint gets messy.

I often hear about these other strategies in sprint, but in the end it always ends in Quickstep winning , with whatever rider they happen to have on hand.

I often hear about these other strategies in sprint, but in the end it always ends in Quickstep winning , with whatever rider they happen to have on hand.

Sure, DQS are DQS. But you can let them lead it out, fight for their wheel and hope they screw up the timing so that you can beat Bennett coming off his wheel. Or you can try to disrupt their plan. Bennett won on stage 4 and he won on stage 6, like your point suggests. But he’s a lot easier to beat in a stage 4 situation than he is coming off Morkov’s wheel at over 70km/h with 150m to go already in the lead as in stage 6.

Yeah, I agree. It’s a serious respiratory illness with potential long term effects of unknown duration. He deserves credit for being back at a reasonably high level already after that year.

He did make the first echelon on day one which tells me he is back at full fitness. There is no cheap tickets to such a party. But he does have a tendency to not sprint for secondary placings which I am not too impressed by.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
No penalty for Ewan and no one screaming for it either.

Sorry if there was and I missed it

That doesn't mean that he didn't deviate from his line, use his shoulders to barge his way out of a hole and impede another rider. He tried the same yesterday and, rightly, was shoved back into the hole he'd made for himself. The fact is that Gaviria gave up on the contest far too easily ... perhaps with his own crashes and that of Jokobsen/Sarreau at the forefront of his mind. It's immaterial that no penalty was handed out.

TRENDING THREADS