• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI championships

May 12, 2021
Visit site
Help please.
In a text I am translating (from Dutch to English), they talk about the "WK", which is wereldbeker or World Cup. However, as this is a UCI event that would be World Championship. On their website they always talk about Championships (plural) rather than Championship (singular), so would I be correct in always saying so and so won the World Championship)s in every case?
My customer told me these UCI WKs are always one-day events but I don't think this is correct, is it?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Help please.
In a text I am translating (from Dutch to English), they talk about the "WK", which is wereldbeker or World Cup. However, as this is a UCI event that would be World Championship. On their website they always talk about Championships (plural) rather than Championship (singular), so would I be correct in always saying so and so won the World Championship)s in every case?
My customer told me these UCI WKs are always one-day events but I don't think this is correct, is it?
The "World Championships" are an event consisting of a number of races in which riders compete for the "World Championship" in their discipline (road - time trial and mass start road race; track - various types; cyclocross, mountainbike, and so on) or category (e.g. under-23, elite men, elite women, junior, and so on). From what you're describing I assume this is to do with the Road World Championships.

The "World Championships" usually last a week but each race is only a one-day event which is what your customer would have been referring to.

As a (simplified) example you would have:

Day 1: Junior men & Junior women time trials
Day 2: U23 men & U23 women time trials
Day 3: Elite men & Elite women time trials
Day 4: Junior men & Junior women road races
Day 5: U23 men & U23 women road races
Day 6: Elite women road race
Day 7: Elite men road race

All of these races combine in the same location and usually on the same courses (one for TTs, one for road races) or variations thereof. Therefore each race crowns a champion in a one-day event, but the event is a collection of championship races rather than an individual championship race, hence the event is the "World Championships" in the plural.

Think of it how the "World Cup Finals" refers to the whole tournament, but the "World Cup Final" refers to a single match.

Help please.
If they are talking about the event (e.g. Het WK in Qatar) you should always translate using "World Chamionships".
If they are talking about one race in particular (e.g. Tom Boonen won het WK in Madrid) you should/could use "World Championship" , however as you are a translator you probably know that you shouldn't always translate word after word. Which is why I often used to translate "WK" with "the road race at the XXXX world chamionships".

Reactions: Ktarie
May 12, 2021
Visit site
The "World Championships" are an event consisting of a number of races in which riders compete for the "World Championship" in their discipline (road - time trial and mass start road race; track - various types; cyclocross, mountainbike, and so on) or category (e.g. under-23, elite men, elite women, junior, and so on). From what you're describing I assume this is to do with the Road World Championships.

The "World Championships" usually last a week but each race is only a one-day event which is what your customer would have been referring to.

As a (simplified) example you would have:

Day 1: Junior men & Junior women time trials
Day 2: U23 men & U23 women time trials
Day 3: Elite men & Elite women time trials
Day 4: Junior men & Junior women road races
Day 5: U23 men & U23 women road races
Day 6: Elite women road race
Day 7: Elite men road race

All of these races combine in the same location and usually on the same courses (one for TTs, one for road races) or variations thereof. Therefore each race crowns a champion in a one-day event, but the event is a collection of championship races rather than an individual championship race, hence the event is the "World Championships" in the plural.

Think of it how the "World Cup Finals" refers to the whole tournament, but the "World Cup Final" refers to a single match.

Thanks a million that has really cleared that up for me. So when they say, for example "de WK in 1967" I can say "the 1967 World Championships ( (plural) but when they specify that so and so won the "WK bij de tijdrit" (World Championships in the time trial" I can say something like the World Championships in the time trial category/discipline/race/competition. or World Time Trial Championship (singula).

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS