• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI denies reports of motorised doping

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Since the title of the article uses 'doping' I thought I'd better stick it in the clinic, but since when are all forms of cheating all the sudden doping?

Will we have 'hanging on to the team car doping' and 'being pushed by a teammate doping' and perhaps 'illegal handlebar doping'?

I dunno, I just couldn't not comment...
:confused:

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Coach Hawk said:
Since the title of the article uses 'doping' I thought I'd better stick it in the clinic, but since when are all forms of cheating all the sudden doping?

Will we have 'hanging on to the team car doping' and 'being pushed by a teammate doping' and perhaps 'illegal handlebar doping'?

Since you've got to be a dope to use them?

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Coach Hawk said:

It raises the issue of whether a bicycle can "dope".

The article seems like something I'd read on April 1st.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
They could just make a motorized hub look like a big power tap hub, and then hide the batteries inside the frame itself... will be exciting when battery technology improves and you could just ride the TdF on battery power alone, lol. I'll get suspicious when Energizer starts sponsoring a team..

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I tracked down the at the time humorous piece in Cyclismag. It was from April 11, the day of Paris -Roubaix.

Rumor Cancellara

The secret of Fabian Cancellara? A dynamo hidden in his pedal, allowing it to move faster. The fantasy is all the funnier it became in an uproar within the platoon. A French rider has reported to http://www.cyclismag.com this "noise" surprising. Those who really believe the arguments brandished as many changes as Cycling Cancellara operates at full speed. It is already more original than a suspicion of doping!

Sorry, it's in their archive, and a link only goes to the current main page.
http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5814#ancre1

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
It raises the issue of whether a bicycle can "dope".

The article seems like something I'd read on April 1st.

"Fork Doping" is already common practice: ;)

picture.php

May 26, 2009
Visit site
This is ridiculous, I would be highly surprised (and amused) if this is true. But that said: There are indeed silent hub based pedal assist hubs.. me and my wife own two.

Having day to day experience with this, we already have been joking about this, as the difference it makes is eye popping.

But once again, I sincerely doubt this is true, it's just too much Benny Hill.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
@lancearmstrong is this the particular engine you used in the Tuesday nighter in Austin back in 2007? http://yfrog.com/0pt9isj
9:29 PM May 19th via Twitterrific

@mickrogers Motorized doping clearly. Spartacus, care to comment?
9:33 PM May 19th via UberTwitter in reply to mickrogers

Another reference in this story to Cancellara, albeit by Armstrong.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Seems the "Power-Assist" bike could have some training benefits.

Safer than motor-pacing....

Is it UCI Legal to use in training?

TRENDING THREADS