• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Gravel World Championships 2022, October 8-9, Italy

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think live decent coverage can be easier to achieve in Enduro and even there it's nowhere closer to be achieved.

Enduro should be relatively straight forward to produce for TV, they manage it for DH afterall.

For gravel I think it would be interesting to have a structured series with 1 hour or 2 produced for TV with race footage achieved from moto, drones and helis on selected parts of the course, fixed cameras in some key sections if possible and then complemented by GoPro footage, decent graphics and behind the scenes content. With no obligation to be live it can be cheaper as it eliminates the necessity for relay infrastructure for the live signal.

Would many want to watch it after the race is over though? I'll watch baseball highlights, but not more than about 5-10 minutes. An hour TV show of cycling highlights contains, at a guess, about 30 mins of race footage and a lot of that can be pretty boring. Videos I see about gravel that do well tend to be focussed on one rider and their own race, and they do well because they''ve built a following. I'm not sure this kind of thing could support the investment needed to make it. Important to remember that any higlight shows about road, MTB, CX etc. are essentailly a second bite of the revenue stream, the only reason those pictures exist is because they were taken from the live broadcast. In this case the chopped highlights are the only revenue stream.

Reactions: jmdirt
A lot of this discussion reminds me of the late '80s-early '90s mountain bike scene in the USA. When I started racing 75% of the participants were still 'hippies' who liked getting out for a ride and a smoke. I had a ball sport, moto cross, running background, and many of the 25% were also from similar backgrounds. I'm sure that it messed it up for the guys and gals who just enjoyed riding through the woods and ripping down skid trails. I heard some stories about 'roadies' taking over the dirt world, but it was pretty few and far between, and most of us did a fair amount of road training and racing especially in the winter and spring.

Gravel racing in the USA still 'sells out', but I see it following other things that are the 'it' fun thing until people do it a few times and move on to something else.
Ironman still does TV numbers I believe, and the tri series has increased viewership because of the middle aged white-man obsession with it, but I think you may be right. Fixed crit racing has completly fallen off a cliff as many riders moved on to gravel riding, trail running, triathlon etc.

Can US gravel and UCI gravel co-exist peacefully? Lachlan Morton believes so.

Man whose whole career is based around keeping a pro contract while not actually riding pro races would like to see some of the events he does ride become pro races isn't really a surprising take.

Last edited:
Another Italian gravel race today with MVDP apparently.

"Robin Froidevaux pulled off a surprise but deserved solo victory at the Serenissima Gravel pro race in Italy, beating Emils Liepins (Trek-Segafredo) and new Gravel World Champion Gianni Vermeersch (Alpecin-Deceuninck).
Mathieu van der Poel (Alpecin-Deceuninck) crashed in the final 25km but fought back to rejoin the front group. "

And yet another totally flat gravel race:

SERENISSIMA-GRAVEL_-DISLIVELLOCAT-DEF.jpg

Nov 10, 2022
Visit site
Another Italian gravel race today with MVDP apparently.

"Robin Froidevaux pulled off a surprise but deserved solo victory at the Serenissima Gravel pro race in Italy, beating Emils Liepins (Trek-Segafredo) and new Gravel World Champion Gianni Vermeersch (Alpecin-Deceuninck).
Mathieu van der Poel (Alpecin-Deceuninck) crashed in the final 25km but fought back to rejoin the front group. "

And yet another totally flat gravel race:

SERENISSIMA-GRAVEL_-DISLIVELLOCAT-DEF.jpg

Thanks for sharing. The task of writing an essay on Martin Luther King Jr. I sincerely hope that every student will write about this topic with enthusiasm in their essays, but if anybody needs help with writing an essay on this subject, go to https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/martin-luther-king. Below are some examples of essays about Martin Luther King Jr. that may make it simpler for you to create your own.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: