• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Independent Commission on 'Lance-Gate'

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Grandillusion said:
Well, if the Dr's optimism is well founded maybe Pat will be gone sooner than we think.

As long as Pat keeps everyone well paid and expensed then no one is going to rock this boat.

6 lawyers and a QC at the last meeting and McQuaid is armed and dangerous for any sort of coup.

Katashua is already paying hefty price for their challenge of authority.

Pol Pot playbook is working overtime..

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Grandillusion said:
Well, if the Dr's optimism is well founded maybe Pat will be gone sooner than we think.
I will clarify - I dont expect him to be 'fired' soon.
But his position is becoming more untenable, so possible candidates will see Friday as an opportunity to put him under pressure as well as showing their ability in a crisis.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
As long as Pat keeps everyone well paid and expensed then no one is going to rock this boat.

6 lawyers and a QC at the last meeting and McQuaid is armed and dangerous for any sort of coup.

Katashua is already paying hefty price for their challenge of authority.

Pol Pot playbook is working overtime..

I've no idea, but he seems horribly confident. Maybe it's just the stock pictures of his head accompanying each story, but they give me the willies. Totally irrational rubbish obviously! See what happens on Friday.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I will clarify - I dont expect him to be 'fired' soon.
But his position is becoming more untenable, so possible candidates will see Friday as an opportunity to put him under pressure as well as showing their ability in a crisis.

Let's hope there's someone up to it Dr, yep. Bed now, g'night :)

Dr. Maserati said:
McQuaid is not winning - this is a desperate attempt to kill the investigation while blaming others.

As to your question - well he is not going to resign or go quietly, but the management Committe meet on Friday, should be interesting.

I disagree; I think Phat has just player a master stroke, stroke in the Irish context !

By rolling up the IC, which was getting a bit nosey, & pretending he wants a T&R project, he has blocked the IC from any access to the dirt we all believe is just waiting to be uncovered, & he has moved everything down pass the next election.

More than that; what exactly is the T&R going to offer anyone, which would encourage them to participate ???

Sure they get a pass on any ban from the UCI & other sports bodies like WADA; but in the overwhelming number of cases, this will matter SFA when weighed against the Criminal & Civil Action consequences of these actions, & I doubt the French Police will give a monkeys about a letter from Phat when there are riders & team managers admitting to massive wholesale breaches of French law. Who is going to avail of missing a 6 month ban, by putting themselves in the frame for maybe a couple of years inside ?

Phat of course knows this; so he sets up a T&R body, & then either no-one offers evidence, & he says this proves that LA was the only rotten apple; or better yet, the T&R gets legal advice pointing out how they can do nothing about providing immunity from Legal actions, so its a busted flush.

keeponrollin said:
I disagree; I think Phat has just player a master stroke, stroke in the Irish context !

By rolling up the IC, which was getting a bit nosey, & pretending he wants a T&R project, he has blocked the IC from any access to the dirt we all believe is just waiting to be uncovered, & he has moved everything down pass the next election.

More than that; what exactly is the T&R going to offer anyone, which would encourage them to participate ???

Sure they get a pass on any ban from the UCI & other sports bodies like WADA; but in the overwhelming number of cases, this will matter SFA when weighed against the Criminal & Civil Action consequences of these actions, & I doubt the French Police will give a monkeys about a letter from Phat when there are riders & team managers admitting to massive wholesale breaches of French law. Who is going to avail of missing a 6 month ban, by putting themselves in the frame for maybe a couple of years inside ?

Phat of course knows this; so he sets up a T&R body, & then either no-one offers evidence, & he says this proves that LA was the only rotten apple; or better yet, the T&R gets legal advice pointing out how they can do nothing about providing immunity from Legal actions, so its a busted flush.

I suspect that UCI governance right now is more complicated than a simple McDruggen dictatorship. McDruggen is hurting the UCI from any perspective--either the perspective of the profiteering pig or the perspective of the immaculate saint. The board is going to have to let go of McDruggen, either now, or later. McDruggen simply isn't showing any leadership.

On the other hand, I bet that Hein and Pat have made a lot of money for their UCI cronies over the years and those cronies are really reluctant to let them go.

Tough problem if you're a corrupt UCI official. . .

rata de sentina said:
Just stop right there. The words "master stroke" and "Phat" are incompatible.

When you're Phat, holding onto a job like his, for as long as he has, & with no obvious signs of moves from National Associations trying to oust you; then I think you have to give him credit for being the master conniver, & manipulator that he obviously is !

Not that matters a rats *** when he's presided over the descent of Cycling into a joke sport, completely toxic to sponsors & dropping it below Heavy Weight Boxing & WWE in credibility. :mad:

keeponrollin said:
When you're Phat, holding onto a job like his, for as long as he has, & with no obvious signs of moves from National Associations trying to oust you; then I think you have to give him credit for being the master conniver, & manipulator that he obviously is !

Not that matters a rats *** when he's presided over the descent of Cycling into a joke sport, completely toxic to sponsors & dropping it below Heavy Weight Boxing & WWE in credibility. :mad:

I disagree. Pat is the figurehead of a power structure. All he needs to do is keep the largess flowing to the right people. Then all manner of failures of leadership can be forgiven. However, I think that the ship has taken on too much water and the UCI must now find itself a new figurehead to "lead" it.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
keeponrollin said:
You've got this all wrong. Phat=puppet

DirtyWorks said:
It's a perfect Vrijman report!

The way the message has been spun is brilliant. It's as if WADA was the problem. You can't make that up! Sick and brilliant.

They are claiming WADA support. That's not going to last.

I'll post it again. I'm shocked the IC was so independent!

Yeah, I dont "get" the sudden WADA support, especially considering Fahey's supposed distaste for Pat.

Verbruggen does seem to be the biggest problem, if you read some of the Rabo stuff about 1996, they say they went to the UCI at the time complaining about teams using EPO and got nothing from the UCI. Until Verbruggen is gone then the UCI cannot be reformed.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
ACTION TODAY from @RaceRadio & JV please ?

This Comment , posted elsewhere .

" SINCE Cycling Fans have ignored the opportunity to express their support for " Amnesty For Athletes ", why are they surprised when the "phat tag team of Aigle " , cancel their creation , " the Independent Commission "?

Only by showing the UCI Management Committee , that they are in IMMINENT DANGER , of being " Ousted " from their place at the "trough " , will they , WHEN they meet on Friday 1st Feb 2013 , decide to remove phat & heinous , from the management of UCI ! Should they not do this , Members of the UCI Management Committee deserve to be individually held to account by their memberships !

VOTE TODAY :

http://www.change.org/petitions/wada-create-an-amnesty-in-all-sports
&
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...eans-for-a-sports-amnesty-in-australia#invite

Show some backbone OR create a better place where " Cycling Fans " can RALLY , and get a result !"

People like @Raceradio & JV , should be consulted and INITIATE an action that WE , ALL can support , TODAY ! time is passing !

tired of excuses ? THEN ACT !

TRENDING THREADS