• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI: Italian Giro top favourite will be Bio-pass exposed in hours

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Biological passport: an Italian threatens the Giro d'Italy
Domenica 2 Maggio | 19:03
Biological passport, we have. Exactly two months ago - was on March 1 - UCI president Pat McQuaid had annnunciato the presence of some suspected cases according to data from the biological passport. In a few hours - tomorrow or Tuesday at the most - the names of the runners stopped by this procedure. Among these names, according to indiscretions gathered by tuttobiciweb in circles close to UCI - there would be an Italian high-level athlete, destined for a starring role in the Tour of Italy.
Why it took two months? Soon said the riders were notified of the discrepancies found (only the riders, not teams) and were given a month's time to present a "justification" for legal and medical outliers. These reports were subject to review by an independent commission and the results are now held that the UCI is preparing to make them known.
A few hours still and know ... (Google/translate)

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=28907&tp=n

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
cotterpin said:
Any guesses? Is this real? I'm in 4 Wigans if it is.

It is an Italian. And my guess is Cunego, mainly due to the combination with the Lampre-situation in Italy

But please let it not be Basso, Pelizotti or Simoni (I'm a big fan of Liquigas and I have a soft spot for Simoni, I really want him to finish the Giro on a high note)

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I'm not bothered who it is as long as they get banned tbh.

Don't know if I'd call Cunego a 'favourite'. I reckon it'll be either Basso or Pellizotti.

but it never said a favourite:

destined for a starring role in the Tour of Italy

and Cunego often plays starring roles in certain stages thus always playing a starring role in any Grand Tour he takes part in.
The rider in this case could even be a sprinter actually

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In the last 2 months the rider was notified and has had time, 1 month, to prepare a justification.

Scarponi? I remember people were surprised with how strong he was in the Tirreno I believe. He won the stage on March 13th

I'd put my money on it being Cunego too... Not because I don't believe it couldn't be Pellizotti or Basso, but only because Lampre has been an awful mess.

Outside chance that it's Garzelli or Scarponi I guess, but not really likely. If either had been on the bad stuff in anticipation of the Tirreno I guess March 1 would be around the time abnormal values might appear.

Bala Verde said:
In the last 2 months the rider was notified and has had time, 1 month, to prepare a justification.

Scarponi? I remember people were surprised with how strong he was in the Tirreno I believe.

While I don't totally dismiss the possibility it's Scarponi, his Tirreno performance is probably not the best evidence. He went crazy the first couple of days, but the last two hilly stages he couldn't even stick with the best... Very un-doped if you ask me. If it's gonna be anyone from the Tirreno I'd guess Garzelli. His performance in last year's Giro was surprisingly strong...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
While I don't totally dismiss the possibility it's Scarponi, his Tirreno performance is probably not the best evidence. He went crazy the first couple of days, but the last two hilly stages he couldn't even stick with the best... Very un-doped if you ask me. If it's gonna be anyone from the Tirreno I'd guess Garzelli. His performance in last year's Giro was surprisingly strong...

Yeah, but didn't he fall on the next day?

Current Tirreno-Adriatico race leader and defending champion Michele Scarponi went to the hospital in Macerata following today's fifth stage. The Italian crashed on the descent of the Sassotetto on the way to Colmurano and injured his wrist. He was able to continue, and finished the stage 8 seconds behind winner Enrico Gasparotto (Astana) source

Bala Verde said:
I Don't think it necessarily 'takes 1 month', but they are afforded 1 month to prepare a legal defense. Fair trial provisions?

Ah, 1 month to prepare defense for the hearing. I thought the 1 month was to think up a reason to explain why the numbers were off, and after that they sorted out legal stuff.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Ah, 1 month to prepare defense for the hearing. I thought the 1 month was to think up a reason to explain why the numbers were off, and after that they sorted out legal stuff.

resto detto: i corridori sono stati avvisati delle anomalie riscontrate (solo i corridori, non le squadre) e hanno avuto un mese di tempo a disposizione per presentare una "giustificazione" giuridica e medica ai dati anomali.

I think that's it.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Scarponi, Pellizotti and Simoni were out reconning the stage to Plan de Corones along with Evans recently. Would they be doing that if they were getting busted in a few days? Ivan Basso wasn't there AFAIK, and his Twitter account has been silent for the last week or so... :p

I'm thinking either Basso or Garzelli. Or maybe Cunego.

Then again, "starring role" could mean anything.

This is so exciting! :D :rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:
Scarponi, Pellizotti and Simoni were out reconning the stage to Plan de Corones along with Evans recently. Would they be doing that if they were getting busted in a few days? Ivan Basso wasn't there AFAIK, and his Twitter account has been silent for the last week or so... :p

I'm thinking either Basso or Garzelli. Or maybe Cunego.

Then again, "starring role" could mean anything.

This is so exciting! :D :rolleyes:

good call on the recon session!

Basso's latest SRM files on his website including self-published values stopped around March 14th while he went to El Teide (tenerife) on March 29th to train at altitude.

Arrivato a Tenerife per 18 giorni ritiro al Monte Teide..
6:16 AM Mar 29th via web

But then again, if he had been notified about discrepancies, why would he put in an altitude training?

speculation speculation....

goggalor said:

Basso wasn't there because he was racing a ProTour event in Switzerland at the time though, AFAIK.

Why is it, Pat only seems able to catch dodgy Eyetalians, with his wonderful passport?
You would have thought that the strongest cycling base in the world could produce the odd rider who didn't have to cheat to compete against the "clean", new world wonders.:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS