• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Juniors World Championships (Offida, Italy)

Both Time Trials are on Friday, with the Road Races on Sunday.

Here is a start list for the men:

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/g...bjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NjIyNTU&LangId=1

Mens Time Trial:

cronometrouomini.jpg

Road Race Circuit:

inlinea.jpg

It seems like quite a tough one for the young fellows, I think I worked it out to be ~2200m of climbing over just 128km.

So, are there any names we should be looking out for?

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Dundee said:
Time Trial

My top 3

Dale Parker
Lawson Craddock
Jay McCarthy

Road Race

Jay McCarthy

That would be my top 3 as well. I raced with Dale and Jay at Road nationals earlier this year and Dale is bloody quick on the hills as well and my bet is that he will be unstoppable in the TT and IP. He has shown some good form in some of the recent National series races back in Australia and i am sure he will be even better come friday. It would have been great to see him in the road race as well if he wasn't so quick on the track. Lachlan Morton would have been my number 1 for both the roady and tt if he was racing. However he is currently racing for the Garmin U23 team in the US and winning which is great to see. However he didnt come back to Australia to qualify for the aussie team earlier this year.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Josh Edmondson or Tom Moses for the road race. Tom was 6th in the junior Paris Roubaix this year.

Surprised Dan McClay isn't riding. He came 2nd in Junior Paris Roubaix this year and looks a great prospect.

gogo419 said:
That would be my top 3 as well. I raced with Dale and Jay at Road nationals earlier this year and Dale is bloody quick on the hills as well and my bet is that he will be unstoppable in the TT and IP. He has shown some good form in some of the recent National series races back in Australia and i am sure he will be even better come friday. It would have been great to see him in the road race as well if he wasn't so quick on the track. Lachlan Morton would have been my number 1 for both the roady and tt if he was racing. However he is currently racing for the Garmin U23 team in the US and winning which is great to see. However he didnt come back to Australia to qualify for the aussie team earlier this year.

Thanks for that.

The Track Worlds are on just next week, so I assume that's why Dale isn't doing the RR also?

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Thanks for that.

The Track Worlds are on just next week, so I assume that's why Dale isn't doing the RR also?

Yes thats exactly why. Not sure about other countries but it has been like this in Australia for many years. It would just be crazy to do such a hard road race and then be able to recover to peak performance for the track racing. I guess the training side of it as well wouldnt be too easy as you would have to make compromises on both the track and road training you do and it just wouldnt work out. The Aussie track team is also given priority on rider selection and so on over the road team. So Dale has not been in Italy the last few weeks with the road team. Instead doing final preparations on the track with the other boys for TP etc. This was the case for Luke Durbridge last year. Who won the TT and then went onto the track to win the madison and 2nd in the TP. So it can be done and i am sure Dale will be in some of the form of his life.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Dundee said:
Time Trial

My top 3

Dale Parker
Lawson Craddock
Jay McCarthy

Road Race

Jay McCarthy

So the favourites for some guys here are 2 australian and one other cyclist from the US. Maybe they will win, I don't know. I just find curious that other traditional cycling nations (Italy, Spain,Belgium, France) and specially other very strong teams at the junior level (Norway, Denmark, Slovenia, Russia, Germany) have no favourites for you.

Probably one cannot evite this in a an English forum, but let me point how useless that is. The wishful thinking I mean. :D

So anyone can tell me who are objectively the favourites in case my assumption is correct??

I know some of the guys and I even have trained sometimes with one of them, but I have no idea if they are favourites or not because it would be hard to follow up also the junior races in the whole world.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
khardung la said:
So the favourites for some guys here are 2 australian and one other cyclist from the US. Maybe they will win, I don't know. I just find curious that other traditional cycling nations (Italy, Spain,Belgium, France) and specially other very strong teams at the junior level (Norway, Denmark, Slovenia, Russia, Germany) have no favourites.

Nah, only anglophone rides allowed on here. The fact that the current junior world champ isn't from the US, UK or Australia is mere coincidence!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The fact that the current junior world champ isn't from the US, UK or Australia is mere coincidence!

No not coincience, the question was asked who should you look for.

Dale is the current Australian Individual Time Trial Champion (U19), the Current World Record holder in the Individual Pursuit (U19) and if in good form is more than capable of taking the win.

Jay was number 2 in the Australian ITT and has won ITT's and Tours (Jnr) in Europe these past few weeks and at Nation Cup Events has been the one to watch for not only the ITT but the RR. Jay also came 7th in last years World Championship RR.

Lawson Craddock has something like 5 National Championships to his name this year including the ITT, came 2nd at last years World Jnr Individual Championships for which I was lucky enough to watch and has shown excellent form.

Anyone on the day can win Junior Worlds, right place, right break, great team, favorites can loose just as quick, mechanicals, illness, injury.

Still the above guys are ones to keep an eye on.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about the juniors.

But Lasse Norman Hansen (Denmark) was third in the ITT last year, has 11 national titles to this name including the ITT and was eighth in the elite track pursuit world championships this year. We shouldn't keep an eye out for him?

Perhaps your top three prediction is right on the money, I honestly don't know. But the very anglophone nature of it is just indicative of this place at times.

I think anglophone contributors are mentioning anglophone riders just becasue they're the ones they know about. An Australian contributor is much more likely to be interested in Australian junior riders than French ones.
It then requires a french contributor to come on and mention the French ones - but as they're much more likely to be on a francaphone forum they will be under-represented here.

I think it's a bias based on sphere of knowledge rather than one based on thinking Aussie riders are better.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Im very happy to hear about other junior riders in European countries as it is hard to follow on the junior level from Australia. It sounds like there will be some very good competition come Friday!

tgsgirl said:
Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about the juniors.

But Lasse Norman Hansen (Denmark) was third in the ITT last year, has 11 national titles to this name including the ITT and was eighth in the elite track pursuit world championships this year. We shouldn't keep an eye out for him?

Perhaps your top three prediction is right on the money, I honestly don't know. But the very anglophone nature of it is just indicative of this place at times.

Of course we should.

But at this age no one really knows who is who.

From my perspective I only knew to look out for Parker, so welcome any names from whatever country they are from.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Let me sing the praise of the current world champion then.

Jasper Stuyven (Belgium) is not only the owner of the rainbow jersey at the moment, he's also the 2010 junior Paris-Roubaix winner. He says he likes harsh conditions, because that brings the better riders foreward. He's on twitter, too. Posted a picture of his last time in the rainbows -
138776264.jpg

http://twitter.com/Jasperstuyven

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I give you my personal bet for the road race:

Bogataj (Slovenian)
Grigoriev (Russian)
Wackermann (Italian)
Khviyuzau (Bielorussian)
Lawson Craddock (USA)

What Do you think then?

Sneekes said:
I think anglophone contributors are mentioning anglophone riders just becasue they're the ones they know about. An Australian contributor is much more likely to be interested in Australian junior riders than French ones.
It then requires a french contributor to come on and mention the French ones - but as they're much more likely to be on a francaphone forum they will be under-represented here.

I think it's a bias based on sphere of knowledge rather than one based on thinking Aussie riders are better.

Exactly. It's rather hard to keep up with junior riders from all over the world. If you know any at all, they're likely to come from your general area. A Spanish poster is likely to name someone from Spain, a Dutch poster someone from the Netherlands or maybe Belgium. It's really no big deal.

That said, certain countries tend to produce certain types of riders. Many of the Anglophone countries produce TTers so it wouldn't be too big a stretch to predict a couple of them on the podium.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
junior worlds live streaming?

does anyone know if the championships will be streamed online at all?
Are there any countries which are broadcasting it live on TV?

cheers

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Girls TT, thanks to USA coach Manel Lacambra

1 Solovei
2 Ferrand
3 Cure
4 Trott
5 Zorzi
6 Muffat
7 Visser
8 Kroger
9 Thorsen
10 Rivera

x2_2369e4f

Well, actually I've heard more about some of the US/Australian riders than the Danes, perhaps it's because I visit CN too much:)

Anyway, the names I think you should look out for, be it ITT and/or RR:

Dale Parker, Australia
Lawson Craddock, USA
Jasper Stuyven, Belgium
Lass Norman Hansen, Denmark
Michael Valgren Andersen, Denmark
Jasha Sötterlin, Germany
Kevin Predatsch, Germany
Luca Chirico, Italy
Dylan Van Baarle, Netherlands
Kiril Yatsevich, Russia

Mar 18, 2009