• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI, McQuaid & Verbruggen in lawsuit against Landis

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Plus they were freaking morons for running it at the same time as the Giro. Too bad the best riders want to ride the best races in the world instead of a gift race from the UCI meant to appease a few Americans who believe we need to have a race here where American riders can still compete for the overall. It is a nod to the end of Armstrong's reign of fraud, and is the equivalent of a post Tour criterium in terms of race intensity, outcome, and importance. The truth is hard, I know...

But hey, enjoy that car ride up Sierra Street or whatever.

I liked it much better in February too.
California kids had the week off from school - winter break.
Many more kids on the course in those editions.
And no Lance!

This is me and little polish powering up Sierra Road on our tandem grrr.

photo-60-1.jpg

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Plus they were freaking morons for running it at the same time as the Giro. Too bad the best riders want to ride the best races in the world instead of a gift race from the UCI meant to appease a few Americans who believe we need to have a race here where American riders can still compete for the overall. It is a nod to the end of Armstrong's reign of fraud, and is the equivalent of a post Tour criterium in terms of race intensity, outcome, and importance. The truth is hard, I know...

But hey, enjoy that car ride up Sierra Street or whatever.

Wow, I thought the hate ended when my Prince retired. Evidently it is still carrying on strong, keep the wind at your back!
The road is always rising before me, I will be riding up sierra rd. too!

Thoughtforfood said:
Too bad the best riders want to ride the best races in the world instead of a gift race from the UCI meant to appease a few Americans who believe we need to have a race here where American riders can still compete for the overall. It is a nod to the end of Armstrong's reign of fraud, and is the equivalent of a post Tour criterium in terms of race intensity, outcome, and importance.

This is about as accurate and succinct an assessment of the ToC as I've ever read.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
The reason why Cali and Giro are the same time is because Cali partnered with the ASo. They knew it would not only split the teams/riders but the media, too. And since this thread is about Floyd. Just think back to last years ToC. Remember Landislide ( not to be confused with Hi 1 landslide of this year)?
I was talking to an Aussie last year and he said his tv was not even going to cover the Giro. The ASO is not dumb.

A

Anonymous

D-Queued said:
Honey Badger don't care.

Dave.

Oh the Honey is just CRAZY. Honey badger don't give a ****, it just take what it wants.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
velocycling said:
The reason why Cali and Giro are the same time is because Cali partnered with the ASo. They knew it would not only split the teams/riders but the media, too. And since this thread is about Floyd. Just think back to last years ToC. Remember Landislide ( not to be confused with Hi 1 landslide of this year)?
I was talking to an Aussie last year and he said his tv was not even going to cover the Giro. The ASO is not dumb.

We are talking floyd here, he won the toc in o6.
all i can say is usa rides the bikes and buys them.
i don't think the usa really cares what europe thinks about the toc.
i know a lot of cyclingfans and racers think the toc is a nice race, both eurps and merikans.
don't worry, it is not going to take enthusiasm from european races.
floyd be mad because radioshack wouldn't hire him, and the promoters did not let floyds other team bahati ouch in the race.
they probably would have been non competitive anyway.
floyds other team rock racing imploded, no way with the rumors swirling about them they would be invited. to much baggage from the other merikan hamilton.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
My point is clear. The UCI shot themselves in the foot. They have messed with the wrong guy.

yeah I guess verhbruegn and McQuaid are similar to Gaddahfffi taunting Reagan with the invisible line of death.

Has Floyd pulled an F-111 bomber out of mothballs and fueled it up to make a strike on the ToC camp? I know he is brave enough to cross the line of death.

My mother in law was talking to me about the ToC the other day, she is 80 and an american.

Get on the flight suit floyd.....

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Badger of Badgers

Race Radio said:
My point is clear. The UCI shot themselves in the foot. They have messed with the wrong guy.

"messed with the wrong guy" lol.
Is that so.

Who cares.

Or as Il Badgernissimo would say:

"SSDD"

Polish said:
"messed with the wrong guy" lol.
Is that so.

Who cares.

Or as Il Badgernissimo would say:

"SSDD"

Polish, everyone says you cannot change someone's mind on these forums.

I am the highest ranked poster on three different forums, with the majority of my posts critiquing the Floyd Follies.

But, his actions gained my respect. Now, you are turning me into an outright fanboy.

Congratulations.

Dave.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
This is about as accurate and succinct an assessment of the ToC as I've ever read.

Funny, the comments seem completely ridiculous to me. They certainly aren't based in any sort of reality, that's for sure. I realize some people love to fellate everything euro and denigrate everything American, but it's just not that simple.

The ToC is an incredibly important race...for some people. That makes it no difference that the Tour de Suisse, Tour of Germany, the Tour of Austria, etc. I've only done the ToC, but I've talked to enough riders who've done all of those races, and they've described all of those races in similar terms.

It's not a Grand Tour, and it's not pretending to be. And let's face it, only the Tour is really gets the absolute best riders a team has to offer. Looking at the start list of the Giro, that race is obviously not every team's priority race. Having the race overlap the Giro is really of little consequence, at least as far as the quality of the field. Not every big euro team is going to send its best riders to the Giro, with the Tour being a priority (I realize it's cool to say the Tour is lame and all, but the reality is that it's by far the most important race). The ToC is a lot more low-key event.

I also don't get the constant "Lance" comments with respect to the ToC? What the hell does he have to do with it? The race started when he retired. It certainly wasn't made for him, with him in mind, or with any input from him. Sure, it attempted to capitalize on the increased awareness Lance brought to cycling, but so what? The ToC will be just fine with Lance retiring, and long-term will be a lot better off, even if there's a short-term drop from Versus. The fact that even happened has had a lot to do with Versus' Lance-centric bent of everything cycling, and very little to do with the actual race. It's a much bigger event than one rider, despite what some may think. Maybe Versus will do a better job of packaging the race.

A

Anonymous

131313 said:
Funny, the comments seem completely ridiculous to me. They certainly aren't based in any sort of reality, that's for sure. I realize some people love to fellate everything euro and denigrate everything American, but it's just not that simple.

It has nothing to do with fellatio. It has to do with watching a boring race created to showcase European based American pros on home soil.

131313 said:
The ToC is an incredibly important race...for some people. That makes it no difference that the Tour de Suisse, Tour of Germany, the Tour of Austria, etc. I've only done the ToC, but I've talked to enough riders who've done all of those races, and they've described all of those races in similar terms.

Levi seems to love it...

But the comparison to the T de Suisse is spot on if you look at what they did last year. They made a race in Switzerland flat enough for Canc to win...sucked badly was the general consensus.

131313 said:
It's not a Grand Tour, and it's not pretending to be. And let's face it, only the Tour is really gets the absolute best riders a team has to offer. Looking at the start list of the Giro, that race is obviously not every team's priority race. Having the race overlap the Giro is really of little consequence, at least as far as the quality of the field. Not every big euro team is going to send its best riders to the Giro, with the Tour being a priority (I realize it's cool to say the Tour is lame and all, but the reality is that it's by far the most important race). The ToC is a lot more low-key event.

I'd think you'd want to actually look at the team rosters for the Giro before making stupid statements like that. Also note that in the past few years, based on the actual racing, it was the best GT of the year by far. Not even close.

131313 said:
I also don't get the constant "Lance" comments with respect to the ToC? What the hell does he have to do with it? The race started when he retired. It certainly wasn't made for him, with him in mind, or with any input from him. Sure, it attempted to capitalize on the increased awareness Lance brought to cycling, but so what? The ToC will be just fine with Lance retiring, and long-term will be a lot better off, even if there's a short-term drop from Versus. The fact that even happened has had a lot to do with Versus' Lance-centric bent of everything cycling, and very little to do with the actual race. It's a much bigger event than one rider, despite what some may think. Maybe Versus will do a better job of packaging the race.

You ask a question you then answer yourself. You didn't even need any help. You are such a big boy, mommy is really proud! Remember to send her flowers today! And I hate to break this to you, but that race's days are numbered.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
131313 said:
Looking at the start list of the Gir0, that race is obviously not every team's priority race. Having the race overlap the Gir0 is really of little consequence, at least as far as the quality of the field.
But would you say the that the overlap has had at least some effect on the quality of the Gir0 field?

The ToC originally had a unique spot on the race calendar which, to me, made it more interesting. How do you, or any other riders you've spoken with, feel about the notion that moving the dates of the ToC was a deliberate effort to diminish the Gir0—be it in terms of media coverage, rider participation, etc.?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
But would you say the that the overlap has had at least some effect on the quality of the Gir0 field?

The ToC originally had a unique spot on the race calendar which, to me, made it more interesting. How do you, or any other riders you've spoken with, feel about the notion that moving the dates of the ToC was a deliberate effort to diminish the Gir0—be it in terms of media coverage, rider participation, etc.?

I don't think it's affected the Giro participation at all, at least with the folks that I know, and at least with riders known by anyone besides their immediate family... I seriously doubt there are more than a very, very small number of riders (if any) who are skipping the Giro to do the the ToC. If a rider isn't doing the Giro, it's simply because it doesn't fit into the overall scheme of the team, or the rider.

The Giro is really hard, so unless your name is Contador you just can't have big objectives at the Giro and the Tour. Add to that the guys who did big spring campaigns and just couldn't do the Giro. In terms of priorities, the Giro is simply a much bigger deal, so I think this is an easy call. Funny thing is, I know a couple guys who were on the bubble for the Giro (one made it, one didn't). The ToC is a bitter consolation prize, simply put. So I don't think very many people believe the ToC will have any impact on the Giro.

As far as the press coverage being split, I honestly don't know, but that's a good question.

As far as the timing? My fear is that it's going to be harder, and more people will actually be 'racing' compared to years past. Good for people watching, not great if you're in the race... In years past the early spot on the calendar made for bigger discrepancies in fitness, with some big names like Schleck really not that fit. Since it's closer to the Tour, I imagine these guys will be more fit. For the Americans, it's obviously a big deal, for them and their sponsors, so they'll be fit regardless.

And to TFF's comments about the Giro being a far superior race from a spectator's standpoint, I don't disagree. It's almost always a much more exciting race. But 'exciting' and 'importance' aren't the same thing. For all except (maybe) Italian teams, the Tour is simply a higher-profile event. Its importance is probably what makes the racing more lame.

And I'll stand by my comment that not every team is sending it's A squad to that race, by a long-shot. RadioShack, Leopard-Trek, Garmin...none of those teams really have stacked rosters at the Giro. Not because they hate the Giro, but just because they have other objectives.

velocycling said:
The reason why Cali and Giro are the same time is because Cali partnered with the ASo.

It just shows there is little or no market for pro road racing in Qz, either.
The ASO have a greater interest in the tours of Qatar and Oman.
Don't look to the ASO to bail out Cali, if a sponsor isn't forthcoming.

131313 said:

By disclosing the system that the UCI uses to issue PT licences, the governing body has shot it's US showpony in the hoof.
Ride the Giro = Lots and lots of rider/team points = $$$$.
Ride the ToC = Few rider team points = $.

So, the ToC has few options.
1) Revert to an early "training" slot in the calander and expect a decent, but less quality field.
2) Stay in May, hold onto the US based teams and accept a poor turnout from the PT teams.
3) Dump the majority of US squads and take the step up to the World Calander. Get all the PT teams at the race and hope that some star riders turn up in the mix.

This assumes that a replacement sponsor for Amgen is found.

Already, we are seeing the post Lance effect.
Radio Shack at Cali:
Matthew Busche, Chris Horner, Markel Irizar, Ben King, Levi Leipheimer, Jason McCartney, Dmitriy Muravyev & Haimar Zubeldia

Not exactly stellar.

Meanwhile, the "weak" Giro field has 2 of last year's GT winners and 5 of the 9 podium spots.
Next year, expect the scales to tip further in the high scoring Giro's direction, as those PT teams have a change of objective.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
It has nothing to do with fellatio. It has to do with watching a boring race created to showcase European based American pros on home soil.

Levi seems to love it...

But the comparison to the T de Suisse is spot on if you look at what they did last year. They made a race in Switzerland flat enough for Canc to win...sucked badly was the general consensus.

I'd think you'd want to actually look at the team rosters for the Giro before making stupid statements like that. Also note that in the past few years, based on the actual racing, it was the best GT of the year by far. Not even close.

You ask a question you then answer yourself. You didn't even need any help. You are such a big boy, mommy is really proud! Remember to send her flowers today! And I hate to break this to you, but that race's days are numbered.

I think that YOU should watch the teamroster again.
Take out Alberto, Menchov, Petacchi and Cav - what you have left then is just a joke.
You really mean that serious, man ?
Same goes for your whole and ridiculous love for ToC.
This Giro starting field is joke, but I'm not a whiner-guy. I life with it, because Giro comes back to reality again, after 2 good years (when it comes to competition and startingfield).
Not that I wouldnt enjoy Giro anyway, but your argument makes no sense, man.

If you want to argue, then bring arguments instead of your typical blind hate and nonsense.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
131313 said:
I don't think it's affected the Giro participation at all, at least with the folks that I know, and at least with riders known by anyone besides their immediate family... I seriously doubt there are more than a very, very small number of riders (if any) who are skipping the Giro to do the the ToC. If a rider isn't doing the Giro, it's simply because it doesn't fit into the overall scheme of the team, or the rider.

The Giro is really hard, so unless your name is Contador you just can't have big objectives at the Giro and the Tour. Add to that the guys who did big spring campaigns and just couldn't do the Giro. In terms of priorities, the Giro is simply a much bigger deal, so I think this is an easy call. Funny thing is, I know a couple guys who were on the bubble for the Giro (one made it, one didn't). The ToC is a bitter consolation prize, simply put. So I don't think very many people believe the ToC will have any impact on the Giro.

As far as the press coverage being split, I honestly don't know, but that's a good question.

As far as the timing? My fear is that it's going to be harder, and more people will actually be 'racing' compared to years past. Good for people watching, not great if you're in the race... In years past the early spot on the calendar made for bigger discrepancies in fitness, with some big names like Schleck really not that fit. Since it's closer to the Tour, I imagine these guys will be more fit. For the Americans, it's obviously a big deal, for them and their sponsors, so they'll be fit regardless.

And to TFF's comments about the Giro being a far superior race from a spectator's standpoint, I don't disagree. It's almost always a much more exciting race. But 'exciting' and 'importance' aren't the same thing. For all except (maybe) Italian teams, the Tour is simply a higher-profile event. Its importance is probably what makes the racing more lame.

And I'll stand by my comment that not every team is sending it's A squad to that race, by a long-shot. RadioShack, Leopard-Trek, Garmin...none of those teams really have stacked rosters at the Giro. Not because they hate the Giro, but just because they have other objectives.

+1000
I mostly agree with you, but I guess its a waste of time and energy to make some sense here. They'll always find a reason to hate and whine.

They will call you "paid troll" soon and the group will surround you in full strength. lol

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
+10000000
Yeah yeah, fully agree here too.
It makes so much sense and is so accurate - still can't believe it.
To follow your "discussion" was really interesting and gave me a lot.

It fully shows how discussions should work and that opinions vary from topic to topic. In no way you just always agree each other, and it shows that your mind is open for different opinions that you can add to your thoughts.

btw, your post is the best post I ever read.

They should really quit that ToC. I hate it too now.
TFF, MV, rrrrrradio, granny, d-cute, berzin.......they all opened my eyes now.
You are so right, and again, I fully agree.

flicker, polish and 13131313 - please stop trolling now.
I agree.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
No, the pandemic of doping is what is hurting the reputation of sports. Telling about it helps.

Thank goodness we have Floyd Conseco, Mr. Ivory Snow to fix things up in cycling. 21 May ToC, Tic Toc, Tic Toc.
Somebody her must have a couch and a kegger so Floyt can be at start of each stage.
All good Floyt.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Thank goodness we have Floyd Conseco, Mr. Ivory Snow to fix things up in cycling. 21 May ToC, Tic Toc, Tic Toc.
Somebody her must have a couch and a kegger so Floyt can be at start of each stage.
All good Floyt.

I type like this when I take ambien.

Yes, FL should be quiet. Nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

Cobblestoned said:
+1000
I mostly agree with you, but I guess its a waste of time and energy to make some sense here. They'll always find a reason to hate and whine.

They will call you "paid troll" soon and the group will surround you in full strength. lol

Wow, talk about whining...you need some cheese to go with that?

And yea, that Giro field...full of donkeys. Um, it may be missing Cuddles and Schlecklet, but who cares about guys who only get second in GT's anyway?

As for the ToC. Good to see that you realize the joke that it is.:rolleyes: The sad thing is that Cali has the terrain to make a fantastic race...but they don't use it. It is a weak, boring race to watch.

And dude, I know that you are sad that the fraud that you wrapped you life in for the past 20 years is being exposed, but know that you are not alone in your brilliant reliance on the words of a sociopath. Like PT said, there is a sucker born every minute. You obviously took that spot for the minute in which you were born...so you got that goin' for ya'!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I think within a year or so the UCI will have a couple of judgments against Landis. His invites to trade shows will be dried up. He will be the anti-champion that he is shooting for, the foot shot injury will be healed and Landis will be a stain on an old yellow jersey

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Wow, talk about whining...you need some cheese to go with that?

And yea, that Giro field...full of donkeys. Um, it may be missing Cuddles and Schlecklet, but who cares about guys who only get second in GT's anyway?

As for the ToC. Good to see that you realize the joke that it is.:rolleyes: The sad thing is that Cali has the terrain to make a fantastic race...but they don't use it. It is a weak, boring race to watch.

And dude, I know that you are sad that the fraud that you wrapped you life in for the past 20 years is being exposed, but know that you are not alone in your brilliant reliance on the words of a sociopath. Like PT said, there is a sucker born every minute. You obviously took that spot for the minute in which you were born...so you got that goin' for ya'!

Ok, before you go on and call me names, we just do it step by step, slowly so that it fits you.

Should I make a list of all the high profile riders I would like to see in the Giro ?
You just list cuddles and the Schleck - that can't be serious.
You should also notice, that most superstar sprinters won't even finish the Giro, because this edition is an insult and no motivation to finish for all the fast sprinters.

I saw a nice ToC edition last year, nice mountainstage, especially because they changed date and can now avoid the snow and ride some MTF or other areas etc.
Earlier you called them names for choosing May and "competing" with Giro. Now you complain they don't use all the terrain or better, not the terrain you want them to ride. Actually, in May there is at least better and more terrain avaible, and we saw/see something of that for sure.

How do your logics work, dude ?
You want it back in February AND some MTF or more mountains then ?

I can still see no sense in hating ToC and in any of your arguments.
It's just another platform for your Lancelove.

I really enjoy this race since 2007, more or less (because of the bad weather), while I because know where this race actually stands, and what it means for riders. It's a new, small, but fine stagerace, still improving and growing. America deserves it and I think most cyclingfans follow this race.
We can follow both races, enjoy GIro anyway, and its alternative option for many riders.
No team prevents riders from competing in the Girobattle - if they really want and plan to compete.

And it was great to just watch Sagan win on Big Bear, while even GC battle was more exciting last edition. No LL-show.
We know - Floyd gave everything to ruin the race, anyway, he failed....again.
Looking forward to next edition and they should just celebrate Floyd, just call him the winner 2011, quit that race, and make it Floyds-fairness-fund-fairy-tale-week. Shouldn't they ? :rolleyes:

I think YOU would even choose this over Giro queenstage, if there actually were not these different time zones.

A

Anonymous

Cobblestoned said:
Ok, before you go on and call me names, we just do it step by step, slowly so that it fits you.

Should I make a list of all the high profile riders I would like to see in the Giro ?
You just list cuddles and the Schleck - that can't be serious.
You should also notice, that most superstar sprinters won't even finish the Giro, because this edition is an insult and no motivation to finish for all the fast sprinters.

I saw a nice ToC edition last year, nice mountainstage, especially because they changed date and can now avoid the snow and ride some MTF or other areas etc.
Earlier you called them names for choosing May and "competing" with Giro. Now you complain they don't use all the terrain or better, not the terrain you want them to ride. Actually, in May there is at least better and more terrain avaible, and we saw/see something of that for sure.

How do your logics work, dude ?
You want it back in February AND some MTF or more mountains then ?

I can still see no sense in hating ToC and in any of your arguments.
It's just another platform for your Lancelove.

I really enjoy this race since 2007, more or less (because of the bad weather), while I because know where this race actually stands, and what it means for riders. It's a new, small, but fine stagerace, still improving and growing. America deserves it and I think most cyclingfans follow this race.
We can follow both races, enjoy GIro anyway, and its alternative option for many riders.
No team prevents riders from competing in the Girobattle - if they really want and plan to compete.

And it was great to just watch Sagan win on Big Bear, while even GC battle was more exciting last edition. No LL-show.
We know - Floyd gave everything to ruin the race, anyway, he failed....again.
Looking forward to next edition and they should just celebrate Floyd, just call him the winner 2011, quit that race, and make it Floyds-fairness-fund-fairy-tale-week. Shouldn't they ? :rolleyes:

I think YOU would even choose this over Giro queenstage, if there actually were not these different time zones.

Look man, I know you are embarrassed, but stop taking it out on me. I knew back before his cancer that he was a fraud, I can't be blamed for being more perceptive than are you. Some people just have better genes. (maybe you have better jeans though, so you might also have that going for you too.)

TRENDING THREADS