• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A new XC season which will go a long way to deciding Olympic places - and with only 2 places up for grabs, we'll no longer see a Swiss podium clean sweep as in Tokyo. Switzerland, France are going to have a hard job trying to pick just 2 per race - some big names won't make it.
And in the men, the Netherlands have no points at the moment, none of their two top riders have ridden World Cups since 2021 - and with both being on road teams, who knows what happens.

Reactions: jmdirt
And in the men, the Netherlands have no points at the moment, none of their two top riders have ridden World Cups since 2021 - and with both being on road teams, who knows what happens.
MvdP has been poorly managed (either by himself or his advisors) and has had too many goals which has led to his demise as a top XCO racer. If he wants to race the XCO Olympics, he should do the Spring classics through Paris Roubaix, take a little break, then start on the MTB for the summer and get some points and forget about the Tour de France. We've seen before that he can't do it all.

MvdP has been poorly managed (either by himself or his advisors) and has had too many goals which has led to his demise as a top XCO racer. If he wants to race the XCO Olympics, he should do the Spring classics through Paris Roubaix, take a little break, then start on the MTB for the summer and get some points and forget about the Tour de France. We've seen before that he can't do it all.

Yes, he should follow the 2019 season example; however they'll want him at the Tour - he won't miss any MTB World Cups, but the prep training/ races will mean he'll likely miss MTB World Cups in June. He currently has no MTB ranking, so I don't think he can do the Friday XCC races, but can start on the 5th row of XCO races due to his Road/CX ranking. Vader is in a similar position.
And as we saw in the Worlds, your ranking defines your gridding position; he'll be miles back - unless he races plenty of MTB.

Looks like Discovery will have a test run at the Banyoles XCO weekend, at the end of February.....

Still wants to ride the MTB Olympic race in 2024; he's going to need to rack up points before then, and his Road programme for this year doesn't allow much racing pre MTB Worlds.

Though the mention of Cape Epic excites me.....imagine him and Gaze, now that could be interesting.

Still wants to ride the MTB Olympic race in 2024; he's going to need to rack up points before then, and his Road programme for this year doesn't allow much racing pre MTB Worlds.

Though the mention of Cape Epic excites me.....imagine him and Gaze, now that could be interesting.
What his mind wants and what his back can handle are not compatible. His road calendar is way too ambitious for someone wanting to race the Olympic XCO race and do well.

MTB may be one of the few sports where fans try to get ahead of the transfer news by checking instagram followers lists. I see the Esmtb team has done the same as I usually do. :tearsofjoy:

That's why I said yesterday that random thing about Avancini to Cervélo, although I don't find it very likely tbh, it's true that he recently followed Cervélo and Team Jumbo-Visma on Instagram in a row. And checking his pattern, he doesn't follow any other road focused team in the same vein as TJV (he follows Alpecin-Deceuninck, but the team is well established as also an off-road team by now).

MTB may be one of the few sports where fans try to get ahead of the transfer news by checking instagram followers lists. I see the Esmtb team has done the same as I usually do. :tearsofjoy:

That's why I said yesterday that random thing about Avancini to Cervélo, although I don't find it very likely tbh, it's true that he recently followed Cervélo and Team Jumbo-Visma on Instagram in a row. And checking his pattern, he doesn't follow any other road focused team in the same vein as TJV (he follows Alpecin-Deceuninck, but the team is well established as also an off-road team by now).

Ha ha, yes. Sadly, MTB racing has terrible English language media coverage, and trying to get news/ rumours, means going to Esmtb and Brujulabike, who both do a fabulous job.

Never rule anything out; Avancini has a massive following in South America, particularly his home of Brazil....sign him and you're getting a brand new audience.

TRENDING THREADS