• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
yes I remember that. I really don't know why riders, with 5 degrees and rain, don't put a cap under their helmets. you lose a lot of warmth from the head
No more per sq. in. than any other part of your body. That being said, I used to wear a skull cap and arm warmers in races below 55 F because cool air going over my arms and head/ears just felt cold (my legs were generating enough heat to feel OK, plus warming sprays help too).

EDIT: I don't know where/how that 'wives tale' started, but notes from a USA military test in the 1950 (?) noted that 'due to the high blood flow to the brain...'. It has to be pretty cold for the heat from conduction escapes your brain, then through your skull, skin, and out (convection, right?).

Last edited:
what's that? :innocent: ;)
I have no hair and my ears are sensitive to cool air (tubes as a child), but cool skin isn't the same as losing heat (though you certainly lose heat through your skin, including through perspiration).

Another way to think about the old "80% of your body heat escapes through your head" Most of your vital organs are in your core, does the heat from you core and all of your organs run up through your head like a chimney?

Reactions: pastronef
I have no hair and my ears are sensitive to cool air (tubes as a child), but cool skin isn't the same as losing heat (though you certainly lose heat through your skin, including through perspiration).

Another way to think about the old "80% of your body heat escapes through your head" Most of your vital organs are in your core, does the heat from you core and all of your organs run up through your head like a chimney?

I was joking about the Fahrenheit degrees. I had to google that. 12 degrees celsius

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt

So, no need to wear gloves either, since heat doesn't run all the way down your arms?

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
So, no need to wear gloves either, since heat doesn't run all the way down your arms?
I always wear long finger gloves (different depending on temps). In cold temps gloves keep your fingers more dexterous. I'm always surprised by CXers with bare hands on cold days.

My original point was that the old myth about most of your body heat escaping through your head is not scientifically accurate. I'm not aware of any such myth about phalanges/phalanx heat loss.

Especially if you've already missed 2 times... then you can be certain you're now being targeted and should make it 200% sure you have everything in order...
I wonder what this will do to his career now - Trek and Red Bull will not touch him anymore I'm certain.

The Trek XC team's instagram account has already removed his name from the list of riders.......And they (Trek the manufacturer) are rather 'touchy' about doping issues after the days of Lance.......
Toon Aerts was let go pretty quick by Baloise-Trek after his misdemeanour........