• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Pro Tour Selection Rules

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
Please, share those pitfalls with us. This system is not perfect, but no system is. The UCI focuses on certain aspects on purpose, which means if it is a pitfall, it is one by choice.

For one money buys teams which is not new but the importance of renewed contracts will be very important

and poaching will become the norm -

teams will stack world tour races to get points - smaller races will have problems with sponsorship.

ie It may be more beneficial to send packed team to China people can only race so much so some of the Wednesday races in Belgium with 80 years of history may find it hard to keep sponsors with reduced quality of riders.

Team sponsorship will be harder to create long term partnership - Ie we are world tour this year next not sure we can talk then.

starter for 10.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
Please, share those pitfalls with us. This system is not perfect, but no system is. The UCI focuses on certain aspects on purpose, which means if it is a pitfall, it is one by choice.

A few are pointed out under the "is it fair" section.

For me, the big flaw is that teams only learned of the system last week. Did they make copies and send them to each of their riders, so that they have a bit of control over their own futures?

Last year teams worked hard to finish the year in the top seventeen of the UCI rankings so they could get automatic invitations to the Tour de France. No one knew that there would be a super secret method of evaluation and that teams who thought they were sure things at the top level would be turned away and left begging for races.

This is a time of year when teams are looking for riders to recruit for next year. I imagine a lot of them set up spreadsheets last week so they could see just how valuable certain riders will be not to the team, but to their license chances.

I could imagine riders looking at the point possibilities and arguing with teammates over which events they're in. Would a top sprinter ride ATOC if he knew he could do better riding part of the Giro d'Italia and going for stage wins?

Three months of the season were gone before teams got the presentation. Some might have planned their early schedules differently. The big thing is, if this is the important ranking, get rid of the meaningless one on the UCI website and put this one up for the world to see. If CQ & Virtual Director Sportif type games can do it, and keep it up to date, the governing body of the sport should be able to do it.

If anyone from the UCI happens by, it's time for another round of Biological Passport names, please.

just some guy said:
For one money buys teams which is not new but the importance of renewed contracts will be very important
Not entirely true, teams are rewarded team points for team results of the previous years. New teams do not have those team points.
just some guy said:
teams will stack world tour races to get points - smaller races will have problems with sponsorship.

ie It may be more beneficial to send packed team to China people can only race so much so some of the Wednesday races in Belgium with 80 years of history may find it hard to keep sponsors with reduced quality of riders.
The UCI does that on purpose. They want quality pelotons in their top-tier races, e.g. Tour of Beijing as well. Euskaltel does not need to ride E3 Harelbeke to get points.
just some guy said:
Team sponsorship will be harder to create long term partnership - Ie we are world tour this year next not sure we can talk then.
I have heard tons of people say that promotion+relegation rules should be applied to the World Tour. Here they are and people are still complaining.

theswordsman said:
For me, the big flaw is that teams only learned of the system last week. Did they make copies and send them to each of their riders, so that they have a bit of control over their own futures?

Last year teams worked hard to finish the year in the top seventeen of the UCI rankings so they could get automatic invitations to the Tour de France. No one knew that there would be a super secret method of evaluation and that teams who thought they were sure things at the top level would be turned away and left begging for races.

This is a time of year when teams are looking for riders to recruit for next year. I imagine a lot of them set up spreadsheets last week so they could see just how valuable certain riders will be not to the team, but to their license chances.

I could imagine riders looking at the point possibilities and arguing with teammates over which events they're in. Would a top sprinter ride ATOC if he knew he could do better riding part of the Giro d'Italia and going for stage wins?

Three months of the season were gone before teams got the presentation. Some might have planned their early schedules differently. The big thing is, if this is the important ranking, get rid of the meaningless one on the UCI website and put this one up for the world to see. If CQ & Virtual Director Sportif type games can do it, and keep it up to date, the governing body of the sport should be able to do it.
It is not a flaw in the system, but in the implementation of the system. It is also a huge flaw of the DS of the teams. CQ Ranking published this exact same structure including the points scale last June. If a team is still surprised they have been hiding under a rock.

theswordsman said:
A few are pointed out under the "is it fair" section.

If anyone from the UCI happens by, it's time for another round of Biological Passport names, please.

excellent post

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
worst thing (not previously mentioned) national championships are equal. Belgian/French/Spanish/Italian championships are harder for pros to win than (for example) the Dutch Antilles.

best thing. tour of cali is disrespected

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
lancaster said:
worst thing (not previously mentioned) national championships are equal. Belgian/French/Spanish/Italian championships are harder for pros to win than (for example) the Dutch Antilles.

best thing. tour of cali is disrespected

I think the Dutch Antilles championship is a lot harder to win than those 4 combined :p

just some guy said:

and poaching will become the norm -

starter for 10.

Which explains why Vino is doing all he can to tap up Gilbert.

It explains why Cack, HGH, Sky and Garmin are producing some of the most boring racing ever seen. Sprint for third boys (get those points in the bag)

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
What do riders points have to do with anything? It's like ranking a football team on goals for but not against. People will be looking for defender with "goals" and indeed the defenders would be somewhat obliged not to do their job, but seek points.

Now if you said the top rider from each team in each race and ranked them accordingly, plus included some points for intermediate classifications you might have something that seemed fair.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
@Archibald when i put this thread up i was in the Rebellin thread and asked where it should go . At that time i saw no other anywhere so surprised it is getting shunted around a bit !
Question was :
How will this item impact a team employing Rebellin and others and should it be a new thread in Clinic:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ystem-revealed

So far not seen an answer but then i am a newbie with a poor batting average that is overwhelmed by the seasoned long time experts .

skippy said:
@Archibald when i put this thread up i was in the Rebellin thread and asked where it should go . At that time i saw no other anywhere so surprised it is getting shunted around a bit !
Question was :
How will this item impact a team employing Rebellin and others and should it be a new thread in Clinic:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ystem-revealed

So far not seen an answer but then i am a newbie with a poor batting average that is overwhelmed by the seasoned long time experts .

I don't see what this has to do with Rebellin. What it means is that teams will want to make sure to have at least 15 riders with decent results so that they can get a good score. Rebellin will possibly have no results at all going into next year and or he might have a few results from this year if some team does pick him up. In general though most teams will have riders that aren't contributing to their overall score.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
With Bennati going home how will this effect the Leopard Giro d'Italia lineup and thus their credibility with their sponsors ?

Where or which thread would this become a part ? That is if there is a thread already in existance !

skippy said:
With Bennati going home how will this effect the Leopard Giro d'Italia lineup and thus their credibility with their sponsors ?

Where or which thread would this become a part ? That is if there is a thread already in existance !

A thing like that would probably go in a Giro thread or a Leopardtrek thread. I think both exist.

TRENDING THREADS