• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI questioning a small number of riders on blood values

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601077&sid=aONxiQFukhnw

A few sacrificial lambs in an attempt to make it look like the UCI is doing something useful? I bet the ones selected have never won anything between them.

The fact that it only shows up on Bloomberg and not other media services suggests the mass market isn't interested or isn't buying it. This may just be more backdrop to keeping AFLD from Tour testing but don't know.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't quickly locate the story, but wasn't there something earlier this year, maybe with Anne Gripper, where the UCI said they were going to start contacting riders and give them an amount of time to submit reasons why their values might be off?

Anyway, I agree that if LA isn't one of them based on his Tour versus Giro values, then the whole thing is a sham.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
why cannot you just provide Anne Gripper with a printout of the Livestrong numbers on StrongArm. Race Radio has the links and the record.

All you need to do, is printout a copy of StrongArm's passport, and say, since he is "clean" I can knock myself up with pipe cleaner liquid to my hearts content.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Here is how the interrogation goes:

UCI: We were curious about this jump in your hematocrit in the middle of a three week Tour. Any explanation?

Rider: I was dehydrated.

UCI: Okay, good enough for us.

It looks like this will become a season tradition. Every year the UCI will trot out a handful of no-hopers who are on the verge of retirement, already embroiled in a doping scandal, still seeking a team, on the outs with their team, or general a-holes who no one likes to convince us that the bio passport is working fine.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
For some reason the most important quote was left out of this article. McQuaid actually said

"Cycling has a deeply entrenched culture of cheating,"

Of course when **** Pound said this a few years ago McQuaid and Verburggen cried like little kids.

Got this from the first article that was posted:

From Article said:
The number of cyclists with a high level of reticulocytes, or immature red blood cells, fell since 2008, a sign that monitoring is acting as a deterrent, McQuaid said.

Shouldn't the UCI be asking these riders "what going on" if all these guys had a huge level of recticycles and then all of a sudden Baam......crap all recticycles and the same with immature red blood cells. Come on thats not sus at all:rolleyes:. Or was there some sort of 'turn a blind eye till everyone has their levels in the zone' period??

"The sport is much cleaner today"

Chief_Wiggum.png

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:

Shouldn't the UCI be asking these riders "what going on" if all these guys had a huge level of recticycles and then all of a sudden Baam......crap all recticycles and the same with immature red blood cells. Come on thats not sus at all:rolleyes:. Or was there some sort of 'turn a blind eye till everyone has their levels in the zone' period??

blood transfusions decrease reticulocytes :D

Race Radio said:
For some reason the most important quote was left out of this article. McQuaid actually said

"Cycling has a deeply entrenched culture of cheating,"

Of course when **** Pound said this a few years ago McQuaid and Verburggen cried like little kids.

Maybe they are genuinely so stupid that it took them this long to figure it out?

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:

That's one interpretation, but another, more generous interpretation, is that the values weren't sufficiently anomalous to conclusively prove anything (at least according to the existing anti-doping rule set). You could tell that something was wrong because a lot of riders had anomalous blood values, but you couldn't prove that each individual was doping. Now I know it's not fashionable in the clinic to give UCI the benefit of the doubt, but it is a possible explanation.

Also IIRC reticulocytes=immature red blood cells.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
That's one interpretation, but another, more generous interpretation, is that the values weren't sufficiently anomalous to conclusively prove anything (at least according to the existing anti-doping rule set). You could tell that something was wrong because a lot of riders had anomalous blood values, but you couldn't prove that each individual was doping. Now I know it's not fashionable in the clinic to give UCI the benefit of the doubt, but it is a possible explanation.

Or that they are applying the time-honored tolerance for "topping off" like they did for hormones/steroids. As long as someone isn't doing anything the rest of them are; it is the standard of the peloton.

Cerberus said:

Possible = Less than 25% chance of happening.

The other reason for drops in Retics is just a shift from EPO use to blood transfusion use