• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI refuses to let USADA test at USPCC

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
McQuaid once again shows his true colors by not allowing credible testing. Coincidently, I am sure, Froome will be racing.

Already a predictable outcome. Jens Voight on daily inhumane escapades, Matt Busche charging up the slopes, Tommy D., and company finally finding their racing legs this year, and Mancebo showing that he still belongs. Should be a sh*t show of epic proportions. Pretty sad really.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Yet again it raises the question about the argument that the sport is cleanER!

yap.
in this regard, i hope to have noticed a slight change in vaughters' attitude towards sky / froome. At last, a tad more skepticism/realism coming from him, at least in this interview (and in some of his tweets):
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...me-will-tell-if-performances-are-clean_295608
and no more "cleaner"-messages from vaughters these days.

still begs the question whether (and if so why) he didn't recognize the farce before. It really was written on the wall well before this year's tdf.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
yap.
in this regard, i hope to have noticed a slight change in vaughters' attitude towards sky / froome. At last, a tad more skepticism/realism coming from him, at least in this interview (and in some of his tweets):
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...me-will-tell-if-performances-are-clean_295608
and no more "cleaner"-messages from vaughters these days.

still begs the question whether (and if so why) he didn't recognize the farce before. It really was written on the wall well before this year's tdf.

Vaughter's smart enough not to try and sell the impossible to those who didn't buy it in 1999 and after Armstrong getting popped the general fan population.

Too many questions to be answered and a 'it's cleanER now' line with no proofs as Froome beats dopers times on mountains would make Vaughters out to be a liar and that doesn't match his argyle.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
The initial publicity of this race comes from none other than "a certain rider from Austin, Texas"....

Phil & Paul will still will be commentators for this race (even after Phil promised to quit if Armstrong got busted)

Jens goes on solo attack for 90% of race, the fans love it- they don't want to believe Jens is dirty.

Prior winner Levi busted, but the victory in his name is not voided

Tommy D goes on attack, solos down Indy pass into Aspen, wins stage, doping suspension announced conveniently a few weeks later. But he quit in 2006, right? so victory not voided

Christian VDV wins the overall last year, doping suspension announced conveniently a few weeks later, But he quit in 2006, right? so victory not voided

No one feels the affects of altitude (thanks to ??)

Now we have Chris Froome racing here.

UCI (Pat's private empire, it seems) won't allow USADA to test (and they are based in Colorado)

Call me cynical.....

One of the most damning things about this is not just disallowing USADA from testing during the event but disallowing it from testing 72 hours before and after the event. I don't see how that can be explained other than a policy specifically designed to prevent riders from testing positive.

With the UCI not testing for synthetic testosterone, HGH, or EPO, what are they supposedly testing for? Whatever tests the UCI does do are worthless.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pat had nothing to do with the decision and Brian Cookson should do exactly;y the same thing. Do you all really believe there is only 1 person at the UCI and he does everything? USPCC is on the UCI list for testing and Utah is not so the Federation does it. Simple. USADA knows this but is playing politics. Frankly I find the whole USADA UCI argument spurious and more about discrediting cycling than administering international regulations. So much of this is defined in the WADA and UCI rule books but hey who reads rules?
The tests however will probably be done in the same lab.

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
One of the most damning things about this is not just disallowing USADA from testing during the event but disallowing it from testing 72 hours before and after the event. I don't see how that can be explained other than a policy specifically designed to prevent riders from testing positive.

With the UCI not testing for synthetic testosterone, HGH, or EPO, what are they supposedly testing for? Whatever tests the UCI does do are worthless.

do you have a source for that?

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Quote from Tygart:

"We are confident, just like in seasons past, there won't be CIR testing, there won't be human growth hormone testing, there won't be EPO testing.

"It is a charade."

not so reliable, because enough riders have been tested positive on EPO

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Would you name the races in the U.S. that the UCI tested for EPO?

i can't
but regarding to USADA:

While the WADA code has been accepted by numerous sport organizations, leagues, and federations around the world, the overwhelming majority of U.S. professional sport leagues (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS); state athletic federations (boxing, UFC); as well as the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) are not signatories of the WADA Code and are often criticized for having less-effective anti-doping programs in comparison to the Olympic, Paralympic and Pan-American movements, as well as those professional sport programs in other countries that have become signatories of the WADA Code.

the first need the claim their grounds in their own borders!
before attacking the UCI!

timbo25 said:
i can't
but regarding to USADA:

While the WADA code has been accepted by numerous sport organizations, leagues, and federations around the world, the overwhelming majority of U.S. professional sport leagues (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS); state athletic federations (boxing, UFC); as well as the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) are not signatories of the WADA Code and are often criticized for having less-effective anti-doping programs in comparison to the Olympic, Paralympic and Pan-American movements, as well as those professional sport programs in other countries that have become signatories of the WADA Code.

the first need the claim their grounds in their own borders!
before attacking the UCI!

Stop trying to divert attention from the issue. Basketball, football, and tiddlywinks are irrelevant. If you want to start a thread about drug testing for non-cycling sports then you are free to do so. Other than that stick to the thread's topic and stop trying to derail the thread.

You cannot name U.S. races that the UCI tests for EPO because it has been well reported that the UCI does not test for EPO. Not at California. Not at Colorado. The testing is, as Tygart says, a charade.

We can assume that much of the testing the UCI does in other countries is the same. The UCI get to target specific riders and decide whether samples are even tested. It explains why most of those who do test positive for EPO are low-level nobodies and riders who have caused some sort of embarrassment for the sport or drawn attention to themselves by overdoing it.

Master50 said:
Pat had nothing to do with the decision and Brian Cookson should do exactly;y the same thing. Do you all really believe there is only 1 person at the UCI and he does everything? USPCC is on the UCI list for testing and Utah is not so the Federation does it. Simple. USADA knows this but is playing politics. Frankly I find the whole USADA UCI argument spurious and more about discrediting cycling than administering international regulations. So much of this is defined in the WADA and UCI rule books but hey who reads rules?

IMO, Pat had some sayso in it. I could be wrong, but the head of the UCI not having anything to do with this? sounds fishy. You may be right, just saying IMO, I think Pat knew or had a hand in it somehow.

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to add some numbers to the discussion of UCI’s testing record.

According to the 2012 CADF Business Report, UCI managed the testing operations at 285 races last year. According to the 2012 WADA Anti-Doping Testing Figures Report, UCI collected 5514 urine samples in competition and from that 1137 were tested for EPO. UCI also conducted a total of 65 tests for HGH and 222 tests for CIR (includes testosterone) in comp. So in 2012, UCI averaged 4 EPO tests per race, 1 HGH test in every 4 races, and 1 CIR test every 1.2 races.

Extrapolating these figures for a 7 day stage race like the US Pro Cycling Challenge, it works out to a total of 1 EPO test every second day and zero HGH and CIR tests. This is a pathetic testing rate. Of course, this is an estimate only and the test numbers could vary somewhat. For example, more tests at certain races and less at others. Of the EPO tests they actually do, I would not be surprised if the UCI specifically target low level or ‘problem’ riders.

2012 CADF Business Report

WADA 2012 Anti-Doping Testing Figures Report

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:

Nonsense, Pat has been doing this for several years. There even was an agreement for USADA to do testing at the ToC a couple years ago and the UCI changed their mind at the last second.

More games by Pat. The old man loves his petty arguments

northstar said:
Just wanted to add some numbers to the discussion of UCI’s testing record.

According to the 2012 CADF Business Report, UCI managed the testing operations at 285 races last year. According to the 2012 WADA Anti-Doping Testing Figures Report, UCI collected 5514 urine samples in competition and from that 1137 were tested for EPO. UCI also conducted a total of 65 tests for HGH and 222 tests for CIR (includes testosterone) in comp. So in 2012, UCI averaged 4 EPO tests per race, 1 HGH test in every 4 races, and 1 CIR test every 1.2 races.

Extrapolating these figures for a 7 day stage race like the US Pro Cycling Challenge, it works out to a total of 1 EPO test every second day and zero HGH and CIR tests. This is a pathetic testing rate. Of the EPO tests they actually do, I would not be surprised if the UCI specifically target low level or ‘problem’ riders.

2012 CADF Business Report

WADA 2012 Anti-Doping Testing Figures Report

Wow, great information, thank you for that.

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Stop trying to divert attention from the issue. Basketball, football, and tiddlywinks are irrelevant. If you want to start a thread about drug testing for non-cycling sports then you are free to do so. Other than that stick to the thread's topic and stop trying to derail the thread.

You cannot name U.S. races that the UCI tests for EPO because it has been well reported that the UCI does not test for EPO. Not at California. Not at Colorado. The testing is, as Tygart says, a charade.

We can assume that much of the testing the UCI does in other countries is the same. The UCI get to target specific riders and decide whether samples are even tested. It explains why most of those who do test positive for EPO are low-level nobodies and riders who have caused some sort of embarrassment for the sport or drawn attention to themselves by overdoing it.

Don't let Tygart fool you, he is not the white night you think of.

TRENDING THREADS