• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Road World Championships 21st-29th September 2019 - Yorkshire - Race Thread.

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What? Some of the most memorable racing days in the history of cycling involved bad weather conditions (much worse than today, by the way; today was rather mild all things considered). Except for strong headwinds, most instances of bad weather make races better, not worse, because they make them both harder and more open. This is one hell of a bad take.

This was a poor race. As have the majority of the Worlds this year. I'll take (with the exception of Quatar) any of the other Worlds over the past decade over this one. Richmond was a heck of a lot better.

I dont think I've ever seen bodies shut down or underperform so suddenly as that with van der Poel and Trentin. It's not like it was even particularly cold in the UK today. Given that some of the most prestigious road racing events take place in the often searing heat of Spain and France I dont think anyone can have a legitimate complaint. We'll just have to get used to relatively unusual weather events impacting on the sport.

I dont think I've ever seen bodies shut down or underperform so suddenly as that with van der Poel and Trentin. It's not like it was even particularly cold in the UK today. Given that some of the most prestigious road racing events take place in the often searing heat of Spain and France I dont think anyone can have a legitimate complaint. We'll just have to get used to relatively unusual weather events impacting on the sport.

Valverde said he was frozen when he walked away from the race. So yes it was cold at least for a portion of the riders. What was the temperature, then you have to remember that rain will make things colder.

Reactions: Dekker_Tifosi
I prefer a race that allows riders who have a chance to do well to be able to do so. Throw in this type of weather and you ensure MOST riders who could do well on a course like this will never have an opportunity to do so. Better to walk away and start recovery earlier for the whatever is left of the season than to continue a pointless and useless race that is not worth the time or energy to continue.

Reactions: joe_papp
I prefer a race that allows riders who have a chance to do well to be able to do so. Throw in this type of weather and you ensure MOST riders who could do well on a course like this will never have an opportunity to do so. Better to walk away and start recovery earlier for the whatever is left of the season than to continue a pointless and useless race that is not worth the time or energy to continue.

Road cycling is an out door sport, you are going to get varied weather conditions, at any time of the year, in any country. All races should not and cannot be raced in ideal conditions. The weather levels the playing field somewhat and thats what makes it intersting and variable from the norm.

Two of the pre race favourites today (Trentin and MVDP) made the decisive selection, so it could be argues that some of those expected to win had their chance. What makes a good athlete is the ability to be able to perform in all conditions and react to all situations. Having it delivered on a plate everytime would not make it very watchable at all.

Road cycling is an out door sport, you are going to get varied weather conditions, at any time of the year, in any country. All races should not and cannot be raced in ideal conditions. The weather levels the playing field somewhat and thats what makes it intersting and variable from the norm.

Two of the pre race favourites today (Trentin and MVDP) made the decisive selection, so it could be argues that some of those expected to win had their chance. What makes a good athlete is the ability to be able to perform in all conditions and react to all situations. Having it delivered on a plate everytime would not make it very watchable at all.

Incorrect. Bad weather destroys the field and in no way levels anything it actually makes for huge disadvantages to most and actually does deliver to a very few things on a silver platter because bad weather favors a very few riders, while good weather levels the playing field for all. 2 of what, 15-20 pre race favorites had a real chance. That actually is proof of what I am saying to be accurate.
What makes a good athlete is very subjective.
Yes it's an outdoor sport, HOWEVER, rider health and safety is something that SHOULD be important and cared about. When a large portion of riders walk away over concerns about their health it's a problem. Better weather a lot of those who walked away would have finished and many would have been in the mix. This weather made for a poor at best race that isn't worth wasting time watching.

Reactions: joe_papp
Incorrect. Bad weather destroys the field and in no way levels anything it actually makes for huge disadvantages to most and actually does deliver to a very few things on a silver platter because bad weather favors a very few riders, while good weather levels the playing field for all. 2 of what, 15-20 pre race favorites had a real chance. That actually is proof of what I am saying to be accurate.
What makes a good athlete is very subjective.
Yes it's an outdoor sport, HOWEVER, rider health and safety is something that SHOULD be important and cared about. When a large portion of riders walk away over concerns about their health it's a problem. Better weather a lot of those who walked away would have finished and many would have been in the mix. This weather made for a poor at best race that isn't worth wasting time watching.

How do you know they pulled out of the race over concerns for their health? How do you know that? You are just summising, just as you have made the assumption earlier on another thread that it was general perception that it always rains like that in England. And how you made the assumption the race should not have been in England. They no doubt pulled out for a multititude of reason, just as riders do in a mjority of one day races. Look at results of all major one day races and there are always a number of DNF's. The weather made the race watchable, it made it interesting, it made it selctive, it made it suitable for those that like tough conditons, yes, but also it was same for everyone. Those who wanted it more got their rewards.

No one is saying that rider health or safety is not an important issue and that no one does not care about it. we have seen over the years countless occasions where the riders have made clear their displeasure with conditons and refused to race or get a race neutralised. if the riders were so disgusted as you suggest surely they would have said something to race commissaires?

You are the lone voice on this and frankly and not wishing to be offensive some of your statements are embarrassing.

Reactions: yaco and 42x16ss
When one rider says something, you can be sure he isn't the only one and that there is a good sized group doing the same thing. I'd say riders walked away from this one in a form of protest over the conditions.

The weather made the race unwatchable.

The type of weather they had today is the type that WILL end up with people getting sick.

Apparently, because other than the very stupid race in Quatar (or however that's spelled) the last several Worlds have been about 100% BETTER than this week has been. This week has been HORRIBLE. 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018 ALL MUCH, MUCH better than this week has been.
If you seriously rate Copenhagen higher than this then your credibility is hanging by a thread.

Even most of the Empire Crew admitted that race was boring AF

When one rider says something, you can be sure he isn't the only one and that there is a good sized group doing the same thing. I'd say riders walked away from this one in a form of protest over the conditions.

The weather made the race unwatchable.

The type of weather they had today is the type that WILL end up with people getting sick.
Yet some riders love those conditions while hating suffering in the heat of the TDF and Vuelta.

Conditions are what they are.

Reactions: RedheadDane
I'm often critical of Hodeg, but today was probably the best race he has ever done, despite DNF'ing. Maybe there is more in him than being just a poor man's Kittel.

He was rock steady in the group of favorites until 2 laps to go or something, holding out longer than Bennett and Ackermann. Very impressive stuff.

They shouldn't be that way for the Worlds. The Worlds is supposed to be showcase, which this year it was definitely not.

So you want every Worlds to be raced in warm climates, with next to zero chance of rain or wind or any kind of natural weather condtions. On a course that is suitable for all?

Tell you what lets just make it like school sports day and everyone who takes part gets a medal for trying?

Next 10 years of WC will alternate between Southern Spain, Australia, South Africa and California......ok everyone happy?? Good.

No more racing on those nasty northern or central european roads.

So you want every Worlds to be raced in warm climates, with next to zero chance of rain or wind or any kind of natural weather condtions. On a course that is suitable for all?

Tell you what lets just make it like school sports day and everyone who takes part gets a medal for trying?

Next 10 years of WC will alternate between Southern Spain, Australia, South Africa and California......ok everyone happy?? Good.

No more racing on those nasty northern or central european roads.

Some rain is ok, but not like this. When you have flooding it's too much rain. Cold rain is bad for your health and usually will make you sick. Again not good.

TBF the rain and wind brought a chill factor. Alaphillipe, Roglic and Chaves were just a few of the riders shown shivering after stopping, while LL Sanchez had to be helped off his bike.

The only rider who looked truly prepared for the conditions was Fuglsang, showed by his freshness at the end.

TRENDING THREADS