• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI screws Astana

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
UCI and Astana, what's the deal?

What's the deal here?
When it comes to Astana, UCI seem capable of pulling positives out of a friggin hat.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-continental-rider-okishev-tests-positive-for-steroids

This doesn't seem smart from UCI.
Are people really gonna believe that only Astana dope?
You need half a brain to suspect the worse, namely that in this era still everybody dopes and the difference between getting caught or not depends on the ties you have with UCI.

Anyway, what's the deal with Astana particularly? Are there issues playing behind the scenes on the sponsor-level? Deeper financial disagreements with UCI?
Conflicts of interest that we don't know of?
Or is it really just Cookson trying to get rid of Alexander 'old school' Vinokourov by target testing Astana?

Or is it less complicated? Are Astana really doping more than other teams? Or simply less cleverly?

sniper said:
What's the deal here?
When it comes to Astana, UCI seem capable of pulling positives out of a friggin hat.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-continental-rider-okishev-tests-positive-for-steroids

You need half a brain to suspect the worse, namely that in this era still everybody dopes and the difference between getting caught or not depends on the ties you have with UCI.

Anyway, what's the deal with Astana particularly? Are there issues playing behind the scenes on the sponsor-level? Deeper financial disagreements with UCI?
Or is it really just Cookson trying to get rid of Alexander 'old school' Vinokourov?

Or is it less complicated? Are Astana really the only ones failing the doping tests?

I'm attaching a pole to see what people think.

The bolded part is your answer

sniper said:
What's the deal here?

Or is it really just Cookson trying to get rid of Alexander 'old school' Vinokourov?

Or is it less complicated? Are Astana really the only ones failing the doping tests?

I'm attaching a pole to see what people think.

Be careful of that rabbit! The Dawg will kill it! Feed it to the snakes!

The UCI are awesome. Horse steriods at ProTour level are fine. Erroneous steriods in a non-descript Asian race are very bad.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
The UCI are awesome. Horse steriods at ProTour level are fine. Erroneous steriods in a non-descript Asian race are very bad.
good point.

DirtyWorks said:
I say they are causing problems we don't see. A lack of Money very likely involved.
but how you think UCI are pulling those positivies out of their hat?
Target testing?
Haven't Astana read the 'How to properly mask doping and fly below the radar' manual?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cookson not happy with just hookers and blow in Kazakhstan....;)

He wants his nephews, nieces, and other family members on pro teams:D

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
IF this is the countdown to pulling the rug under Vino they need a certain discourse to settle within the general public.

So far, so good I'd say..

It is hard to think that recent development is purely of coincidental nature..

I don't know if the fact that it is only class C-D riders that gets caught should be comforting or worrying.. I know what my gut tells me..

sniper said:
but how you think UCI are pulling those positivies out of their hat?
Target testing?
Haven't Astana read the 'How to properly mask doping and fly below the radar' manual?

-Apparently rampant doping is a problem even though there is only IOC English speaking media hangers-on reporting this widely.

-Kazhakstan is in the running to host an Olympics event. Maybe this is "Cleaning up" like what happened in Russia pre-Sochi.

-Old fashion steroids are tough to hide unless the sports federation is protecting the athlete. Apparently the TUE's are not so free-flowing in Kazhakstan.

-IMO, the UCI has a drawer full of positive recommendations. They send inquiry letters discussed in other threads and then just wait.

Like Kreuziger, for some reason we'll probably never know, the UCI wants them out of the WT. It will be very interesting to see if there's another sponsor there to sweep up the organization.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
-IMO, the UCI has a drawer full of positive recommendations. They send inquiry letters discussed in other threads and then just wait.

Like Kreuziger, for some reason we'll probably never know, the UCI wants them out of the WT. It will be very interesting to see if there's another sponsor there to sweep up the organization.
My thoughts exactly.
But then aren't UCI making it way too obvious this time?

sniper said:
My thoughts exactly.
But then aren't UCI making it way too obvious this time?

I've checked the UCI policy document and it appears you're not allowed to have a long surname and it can't be euro sounding.

Kreuziger, he has to go down, surname too long.
Vinokourov, too long, ban him.
Iglingsky x 2, way too long, ban them.
Rogers? Short, he gets a pass.
Impey? Short name, non-Euro, pass.
Froome? Short he can take prednisone.
JTL? Short name but hang on, Tiernan-Locke, that's Euro sounding and long, 2 year ban.

Move along.....nothing to see here.....just a bit of erroniousnous

funny_looking_bodybuilders_8.jpg

Meanwhile, beware Evil Horse Steroid user....

ChildCoughMedicine_042313-617x416.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Doping Score Card for Teams we pretty much all assume are dirty:

Astana = 4
Tinkoff = 1 (Although Kreuziger should almost count for Astana)
Sky = 1
Movistar = 0

Apparently only teams that are entirely in Europe are relatively safe from Crookston

gustienordic said:
Doping Score Card for Teams we pretty much all assume are dirty:

Astana = 4
Tinkoff = 1 (Although Kreuziger should almost count for Astana)
Sky = 1
Movistar = 0

Apparently only teams that are entirely in Europe are relatively safe from Crookston
Kreuziger was cleared (and yes, just like Contador, he should count for Astana). Otherwise you should count Rogers as well.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Kreuziger was cleared (and yes, just like Contador, he should count for Astana). Otherwise you should count Rogers as well.

Ahh, I included Kreuziger because the UCI is appealing to CAS and as we've seen before, that often results in a ban :(

But if I don't include Kreuziger and count JTL for Endura:

then Astana =4

all other doping powerhouses =0 :)

thehog said:
I've checked the UCI policy document and it appears you're not allowed to have a long surname and it can't be euro sounding.

Kreuziger, he has to go down, surname too long.
Vinokourov, too long, ban him.
Iglingsky x 2, way too long, ban them.
Rogers? Short, he gets a pass.
Impey? Short name, non-Euro, pass.
Froome? Short he can take prednisone.
JTL? Short name but hang on, Tiernan-Locke, that's Euro sounding and long, 2 year ban.

Henao? Short name, rides for Anglo team. Pass.

sniper said:
What's the deal here?

Or is it really just Cookson trying to get rid of Alexander 'old school' Vinokourov by target testing Astana?

Or is it less complicated? Are Astana really doping more than other teams? Or simply less cleverly?

Are you sure Astana is being targeted? This sounds like a wrist-slap is on the way:

And, not looking to be too cynical, but 'improving anti-doping activities' under the Nein and Phat regimes could suggest contributing a few dollars under the table.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Are you sure Astana is being targeted? This sounds like a wrist-slap is on the way:

And, not looking to be too cynical, but 'improving anti-doping activities' under the Nein and Phat regimes could suggest contributing a few dollars under the table.

Dave.

Improve their "anti-doping activities"?

Does that mean they need to suppress positives and make up research like "non-native altitude" studies?

TRENDING THREADS