• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI searching for New 2014 Worlds host

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Could see Denmark being appointed as a reserve, although i'd prefer another area than Geels in 2011 ... maybe up or down the West coast, or across one of the long brigdes (Oresund or Great Belt) ... that'll be interesting to see how'd they'd handle riding in those wind conditions

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

Given that everyone else comes with semirandom suggestions. That and WC 2011 was to my knowlegde a great succes in terms of audience attendence and the like

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Devilen said:
Given that everyone else comes with semirandom suggestions. That and WC 2011 was to my knowlegde a great succes in terms of audience attendence and the like
Hey...mine wasn't random. My suggestion was literally down the block from UCI headquarters!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
That was more a function of small teams than the course.

To make a UK based event tougher it just needs to be moved out of London to The Downs. A circuit based on Brighton would work well and still be easily accessible due to Gatwick's location. The course used in 1990 for the Wincanton Classic could be a possibility.

or to somewhere in the UK where cycling has always been popular with plenty of hills. Brinng on Sheffleid/ Leeds or Manchester.

ToreBear said:
I think the chrashes were due to the City of Oslo wanting to be nice, and provided newly paved roads. I don't think anyone organizing such an event in Norway would allow that mistake to happen again.;)

That and the chronic weather.

Have them going up and down Holmenkollen and Voksenkollen. That'll give us a properly difficult Worlds.

Going to Qatar or wherever would be depressing, and we'd have to sit through another year of the Cav fanboys going "sprinters deserve their chance to be World Champion too!" as if they don't already get more than enough opportunities.

the asian said:
is there a problem with Richmond 2015? 1st time I've heard it.

That's what I read earlier in Norwegian media. But they said nothing about what kind of problems. And if no one has heard of them, then the problems should be minor.

Libertine Seguros said:
That and the chronic weather.

Have them going up and down Holmenkollen and Voksenkollen. That'll give us a properly difficult Worlds.

Going to Qatar or wherever would be depressing, and we'd have to sit through another year of the Cav fanboys going "sprinters deserve their chance to be World Champion too!" as if they don't already get more than enough opportunities.

I think in 93, the race the day before where Ulich won had sunshine. Weather in september in the Oslo area is variable. Some years little rain, others a lot.

Bergen on the other hand tends to be rather rainy, but sunshine happens.:D

Races for the sprinters tend to only be interesting the last few km.:(

FignonLeGrand said:
or to somewhere in the UK where cycling has always been popular with plenty of hills. Brinng on Sheffleid/ Leeds or Manchester.

Yorkshire somewhere please. Plenty of tough hills, thousands of people to line the streets and a very good chance of some hideous weather. What more could you ask for :D

ToreBear said:
That's what I read earlier in Norwegian media. But they said nothing about what kind of problems. And if no one has heard of them, then the problems should be minor.

I think in 93, the race the day before where Ulich won had sunshine. Weather in september in the Oslo area is variable. Some years little rain, others a lot.

Bergen on the other hand tends to be rather rainy, but sunshine happens.:D

Races for the sprinters tend to only be interesting the last few km.:(

Ey, I love Oslo, it's a great city. The unpredictability of the weather would be part of the fun, too. Plenty of scope to make a good all-rounders' course as well as a real climber's course.

Libertine Seguros said:
Ey, I love Oslo, it's a great city. The unpredictability of the weather would be part of the fun, too. Plenty of scope to make a good all-rounders' course as well as a real climber's course.
It's already decided that if we get worlds it will be in Bergen, so kinda pointless to discuss Oslo :)

Bergen is a much more beautiful city anyway. The proposed parcours are decent enough, comparable to Geelong but a slightly harder. Either way it won't be in 2014 as the organizers doesn't want it that early.

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It would be great to see it return to Mount Royal again, but it probably won't happen with Richmond 2015.

images

images

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
FignonLeGrand said:

This, or north Wales.

Away from the UK, Norway would be a great choice.

I would love to go an see a World championship in G.B. Wouldn't like London to be involved though despite the huge crowds that would be there.

I would like a route through the hils of Devon, Not to different from the ToB route this year but obviously much longer. Some really decent punchy climbs could be used on that stage.

Pricey_sky said:
I would love to go an see a World championship in G.B. Wouldn't like London to be involved though despite the huge crowds that would be there.

I would like a route through the hils of Devon, Not to different from the ToB route this year but obviously much longer. Some really decent punchy climbs could be used on that stage.

Being Devonshire born and bred I would obviously love a World Champs down here. Yorkshire if simply better for it though in terms of having a very punchy loop near a large city.

Plymouth would be good though.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
To make a UK based event tougher it just needs to be moved out of London ...................

How about the Isle of Man - there used to be a cycling TT race there years ago (and maybe still is - I have not checked).

May 17, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
It's already decided that if we get worlds it will be in Bergen, so kinda pointless to discuss Oslo :)

Bergen is a much more beautiful city anyway. The proposed parcours are decent enough, comparable to Geelong but a slightly harder. Either way it won't be in 2014 as the organizers doesn't want it that early.

The Worlds in Bergen will be a disaster, for several reasons:

1. The weather - anything other than pouring rain would be a huge surprise...
2. Travel - Bergen is a ***** to travel to, how many Italians, Spaniards etc will make the trip?
3. Prices - this goes for Norway in general - reports after Copenhagen 2011 was that fans thought prices on food/drink/hotels etc was to high....in Norway you can double that...
4. Alcohol regulations - beer stands along the route? Drinking in public? forget it...

No - Give me Belgium in 2017!!

By the way - any news on the situation in Ponferrada?

TRENDING THREADS