• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI targeted riders (bio passport)

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Just read on CN that UCI has targeted 50 riders & doesn't want them at the Tour.

Seems like a lot of riders.:eek: Could really affect the Tour outcome.

Is the UCI swinging the axe now--OR not?

Also rules vs. discretion?

Discuss +/-'s ....;)

NB: guess we don't know the answer yet, but might need the thread for this week, etc.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Doesn't look like the UCI is going to do much more than inform the riders and thier teams.

"We [have] targeted research on a fifty riders," said McQuaid, according to L'Equipe. "Federations, teams and riders will gradually be informed in the coming days. I can not imagine that teams [will] bring riders covered on the list to the Tour de France."

krebs303 said:
Doesn't like the UCI is going to do much more than inform the riders and thier teams.

"We [have] targeted research on a fifty riders," said McQuaid, according to L'Equipe. "Federations, teams and riders will gradually be informed in the coming days. I can not imagine that teams [will] bring riders covered on the list to the Tour de France."

That is the sad thing about the way the UCI operates. They may be using back channels to effectively sanction riders. Who knows how many people will be put on a secret black list.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Let me guess. Armstrong is not on the list even though we know he has a history of doping.

75%+ of the active peloton has a history of doping. I hope they're all not on the list, otherwise the Tour could be quite boring.

I heard that the UCI added power testing to the passport, and the first rider that was targeted due to their numbers was...none other than LeMond. His claim of having the same wattage now as he did back in the early 90s got them suspicious. ;)

A

Anonymous

If there are no really big names, we will know one thing. Kohl is right, those with the money to fake it, do. 50 riders is a lot. If all of them are midlings we will also know that midling doping will only get you on the squad, it won't win you races.

Now that I am thinking about it, if there are not to be some big names on the list, cycling will look EXTREMELY dirty. This should be interesting.....if we ever hear the names. Funny, they haven't informed anyone, and yet The Hog just suspended Bazayev.....hmmm...................PR SCORE FOR AMERICA'S TEAM!!!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
ndpuck said:
I heard that the UCI added power testing to the passport, and the first rider that was targeted due to their numbers was...none other than LeMond. His claim of having the same wattage now as he did back in the early 90s got them suspicious.

BWAAaaaahahaa!! Gold.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
If there are no really big names, we will know one thing. Kohl is right, those with the money to fake it, do. 50 riders is a lot. If all of them are midlings we will also know that midling doping will only get you on the squad, it won't win you races.

Now that I am thinking about it, if there are not to be some big names on the list, cycling will look EXTREMELY dirty. This should be interesting.....if we ever hear the names. Funny, they haven't informed anyone, and yet The Hog just suspended Bazayev.....hmmm...................PR SCORE FOR AMERICA'S TEAM!!!!

too bad for him eh?
Bazayev fired for out of paramater values?
where can i read about it?

that's the second astana rider fired for bad blood values.
they did blood passport style testing before there was passport. all last year.

still thing astana's a doped team?

this next week will be big for cycling the rest of the season.

A

Anonymous

ElChingon said:
I'm sure info will be leaked out, considering who's involved :D, they can't keep anything secret for long. L'Equipe will get to it.

fine tabloid paper that they are.
didn't you read that bernard kohl is suing them for saying he said things that he didn't say.

he did not say all ten top riders should have been caught. he did not those things so he'll now be like lance and sue L'Equipe

really, it's true, i posted the article in the Kohl retires forum.

jackhammer111 said:
fine tabloid paper that they are.
didn't you read that bernard kohl is suing them for saying he said things that he didn't say.

he did not say all ten top riders should have been caught. he did not those things so he'll now be like lance and sue L'Equipe

really, it's true, i posted the article in the Kohl retires forum.

Jeebus, do you believe everything people tell you without thinking about it at all? Try to figure out what motivations might be present when the following chain of events occurs:

1) Kohl says he expected the top ten finishers and a lot of other riders to test positive for CERA.

2) Riders association announces they will sue Kohl.

3) Kohl desperately backpedals.

Just calling l'Equipe a tabloid shows that you are utterly clueless.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Can't find anything in English. They've just suspended Bazayev for pulling a Rasmussen.

(aka lying about his whereabouts)

http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5082

Me no reada Frenchie so I'll take you for your word/link.

I think that's one of the lamest infractions on the UCI list. I hope the rider can sue his team like Ras and get his dough.

I just don't like that rule much, I guess I like not telling people where I am. :D

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
ElChingon said:
Me no reada Frenchie so I'll take you for your word/link.I just don't like that rule much, I guess I like not telling people where I am. :D
I don't read Francais either google translator is my friend.

Assan Bazayeva suspended by Astana

. Depending on the site Cycling Quotient, Assan Bazayeva was suspended by his team, Astana, due to deficiencies in the program ADAMS.
. The suspension of a duration set at 15 days, led the team to Astana from its Kazakh rider for the Tour of Switzerland.

Where ever I go,There I am

ElChingon said:
Me no reada Frenchie so I'll take you for your word/link.

I think that's one of the lamest infractions on the UCI list. I hope the rider can sue his team like Ras and get his dough.

I just don't like that rule much, I guess I like not telling people where I am. :D

If riders cannot be randomly tested because they do not tell the testers where they will be then random testing is--well--not very random. It is worthless since the riders will simply not tell the testers where they will be when they might test positive.

Of course, the UCI has now declared that hiding from the testers in a bathroom for thirty minutes is okay, so maybe we should abandon the OOC testing. Apparently it already does not apply to some riders.

krebs303 said:
Where ever I go,There I am

Oh, no. Not Buckaroo Banzai quotes.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If riders cannot be randomly tested because they do not tell the testers where they will be then random testing is--well--not very random. It is worthless since the riders will simply not tell the testers where they will be when they might test positive.

Of course, the UCI has now declared that hiding from the testers in a bathroom for thirty minutes is okay, so maybe we should abandon the OOC testing. Apparently it already does not apply to some riders.

I see your point, but being tracked like that is almost well is infriging on their human rights to be free? I'm no human rights activist so I don't know the full rules but its rather dicey? I guess if they sign their UCI license they have to comply but still I wonder what the range is? If you go to a training phase taking you to remote areas and you decide to stop overnight at a place due to bad weather do they still get you for not being where you're supposed to be? I know its not likely to happen but could, what then you have to call it in? If you're in the mountains somewhere maybe cell coverage isn't good? I know grasping at straws.

Anyone know the "where you are" rules?

krebs303 said:
Doesn't look like the UCI is going to do much more than inform the riders and thier teams.

Yes and broadcasting out to everyone else that they are doing it. I have said this before but I'll say it again...

Other sports just don't do it like this. It just doesn't help the sport to make a song and dance of all this an the eve of the biggest cycling race in the world. They should just notify the athletes that have irregular blood values and follow the correct protocol. The cyclists that are cheating will suffer the consequences - it doesn't need to be played out in public - and it doesn't need to be fifty riders at one go. It just feels too much like a UCI publicity stunt.

Don't talk about it - just get on with it and do it. It doesn't have to be a circus!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
jackhammer111 said:
too bad for him eh?
Bazayev fired for out of paramater values?
where can i read about it?

that's the second astana rider fired for bad blood values.
they did blood passport style testing before there was passport. all last year.

still thing astana's a doped team?

this next week will be big for cycling the rest of the season.

Everybody knows Bazayev and Kolom were doped. Yet Lance and others destroy these "lesser" team riders that gain a huge percentage advantage from blood doping. What a joke! What next? The last place riders tests positive oh but Conta-doper was clean? LOL; Yet Patrick Mcquaid said Contador is clean!

Cycling is under horse$hit times, and the corruption is very much still there. The poor guys that dont have the technique where you can store/ freeze your own blood with minimal cell death are screwed with the bio passport due to the epo test being effective. Now if they started taking down Lances team and him, along with Cervelo and Liquigas that would be some entertainment. Lances a$$ deserves to be busted and embarassed, especially after still making some tools believe he's "now clean" but might have doped before. What a joke again! Be clean Lance and be dropped from the Tour of California pack.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Who would bet that Bezayev is on UCI list?

What better to push one of yours under the bus to protect the most important.

Why to chose a kazakh rider in the current fight between the Hog and Kazakh?

TRENDING THREADS