• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI WorldTour 2017

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Something doesn't quite sit right with me with so many here suggesting that WorldTour status should only be awarded to races held in 5-6 particular countries, all from the same area of one continent.

Re:

wwabbit said:
Something doesn't quite sit right with me with so many here suggesting that WorldTour status should only be awarded to races held in 5-6 particular countries, all from the same area of one continent.
Which is why it should be dropped all together. Or at the very least go back to the name "ProTour".

Cycling just isn't a world sport.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
wwabbit said:
Which is why it should be dropped all together. Or at the very least go back to the name "ProTour".

Cycling just isn't a world sport.
But it does have significant following in many parts of the world: Europe, N. America, Colombia, Australia and Sub-Saharan Africa. Unsure on Asia but I think that countries like Iran must have good following, and countries further east as well.

But I agree that almost all of its followers are from Europe, namely France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Denmark and Netherlands, as well as the UK nowadays. There are few other counties around the world with an interest in cycling. However, I feel it should be important to recognise them some way or another.

Maybe the problem is the whole World Tour concept as if it was Formula 1. The Pro Tour was created as a way of grouping the best races in one calendar.

This races happen to be in the traditional countries, France, Italy, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Switzerland etc.

TBH, the only other countries with enough weight in the sport to have race days in the top tier may were Germany and the USA, with maybe the recent inclusions of some race days in Australia and the UK.

No need of top tier races in Asia, the Middle East, or Canada.

It's a shame if they have to cancel it completely, has actually had some pretty good racing. Why not simply bring it back down a level?

I suppose the WT could be something like this.

1. No teams required to start any races. Bit like in the Women's World Tour, a team having WT status would simply mean automatically being invited to the WT races, not being required to ride.

2. WT teams would have to make clear whether or not they intend to participate in a race at least three months before the race is to start, giving organisers time to fill in extra Wild Card spots. If a team fails to clearly state it's intentions, and doesn't start in a race, it'll face a fine.
I suppose a dispensation could be make for special circumstances.

3. If a WT race doesn't attract enough (10) WT teams it'll have to go through a three-year "probation period", if after those three years the level of interest hasn't increased. Well... it ain't a WT race anymore.

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
For a more equitable race classification system, i suggest :

- Cat 1 : the 3 grand tours

- Cat 2 : the 5 monuments

- Cat 3 : the one-week stage races like Paris-Nice, Tour of Catalogna, and Tour de Suisse...

- Cat 4 : the on day races like Gand-Wevelgem, Amstel Gold Race and Grand Prix de Montréal...

- Cat 5 : the new races which will be promoted to Cat 3 or 4 if they remain successful.

TRENDING THREADS