• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

" uciic " ? Gone ?

I don't know what the UCIIC was hoping to achieve. What were they thinking? Trying to be independent. That was just silly of them.

@richard_conway: Things heating up at UCIIC meeting. Panel demanding to UCI counsel to see documents. Say no documents provided by them to panel.

@richard_conway: UCI counsel responds by saying that "we're funding this process" as one reason why it won't release requested docs to independent panel.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Nick Howson ‏@NickHowson

UCIIC hearing will be adjourned until Thursday 31 January to allow Wada, USADA and UCI to agree amnesty process.

Jacquelin Magnay ‏@jacquelinmagnay

Uci ind comm suspended til 31st January. And will decide to "vacate" the hearing at that time.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_15877/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=sd9G2GXd

"It just amazes me that we have had absolutely no documents whatsoever," former British Paralympian Tanni Grey-Thompson said to the UCI's lawyer. "When are we going to get the .... files?"

British judge Philip Otton, who heads the panel, accused the UCI of trying to use the delay in the truth and reconciliation process as "an excuse to kick the USADA allegations into the long grass."

"We're not trying to kill this inquiry. We set you up," Mill responded later in a heated exchange that led to him being told by Otton: "Please do not raise your voice."

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
"We're not trying to kill this inquiry. We set you up," Mill responded later in a heated exchange that led to him being told by Otton: "Please do not raise your voice."

Perhaps the bolded bit is all the UCI meant to say

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Northern rider said:

Perhaps the bolded bit is all the UCI meant to say

Alan Baldwin ‏@alanbaldwinf1

The UCI counsel Ian Mill QC will be familiar to McLaren fans. He represented the team in Paris "Spygate" hearing in 2007.

McLaren ended with paying a 100 million fine :D

peterh said:
Alan Baldwin ‏@alanbaldwinf1

The UCI counsel Ian Mill QC will be familiar to McLaren fans. He represented the team in Paris "Spygate" hearing in 2007.

McLaren ended with paying a 100 million fine :D

The UCI have appointed a QC to defend their position against a commission they set up?

Bizarre. There's $1500 an hour right there.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
From @jacquelinmagnay
(Telegraph Sports)

Pat McQuad says truth and reonciliation commission best way to clear the air

Uci boss Pat McQuaid says cant afford 2 inquiries at once. Says the independent commission very expensive. Wants separate TandR

Uci says it will share costs with Wada for a truth and reonciliation commission. McQuaid says that route is his preferred option

Uci boss pat McQuaid says current riders would be covered by any amnesty to come clean

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why, but this scene from A Few Good Men keeps springing to mind.

Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to.
Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Col. Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Ian Mill, representing the UCI, said the "entire process has been derailed" because the panel is demanding a truth and reconciliation process and amnesty to encourage witnesses to come forward with doping information without fear of retribution.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_15877/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=sd9G2GXd

Of course the UCI doesn't want such a process, as they are relying on people being afraid of being sanctioned in order to keep them quiet about what they know of all the corrupt practices at the UCI. This much the same approach as they took in the USADA case against Armstrong, saying that they would look to sanction anyone who admitted to doping when riding for Armstrong.

Northern rider said:
Pat's trying to take his ball away and run off home, but those three bullies are being mean to him. Bet he's wishing he hadn't ended up asking them to play with him in the first place.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-independent-commission-rejects-uci-call-to-suspend-inquiries

I have to say you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

Last week McQuaid was crowing that Lance has confirmed no corruption on Oprah. He was also requesting Lance come and speak to the T&R commission.

Now we find out the blocking of document release and the UCI want no such thing as a T&R or amnesty.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Northern rider said:
Pat's trying to take his ball away and run off home, but those three bullies are being mean to him. Bet he's wishing he hadn't ended up asking them to play with him in the first place.
:D

86TDFWinner said:
Doesnt USADA have documents showing UCI corruption? pardon my ignorance in asking, but if they do, why doesn't this IC just check the documents? I have a feeling Travis ie about to get all up in Pats fat face........
I'm as curious as you are, but I'm not expecting much news to come from Tygart with regard to UCI corruption (hope I'm wrong of course).

But then there's still Kimmage's lawsuit. If he proceeds, I assume he could demand access to documents relating to Lance-UCI payments, Sysmex machines, etc. and open up a whole new can of worms.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
:D

I'm curious as you are, also wrt Kimmage's lawsuit. If he proceeds, I assume he could demand access to documents relating to Lance-UCI payments, Sysmex machines, etc.

Kimmage has no lawsuit. He passed on information to a Swiss lawyer who presented them to Swiss police to investigate.

Dont know what the Swiss police are like, but will the UCI get investigated by Swiss Police in a thorough manner? Will it not open the flood gates against FIFA, IOC, UEFA who all no doubt contribute to the Swiss economy in their own special little way

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I went to the hearing. Some comments:

The UCI were fully lawyered up. I counted six alongside Pat on the UCI benches.

Anyone who doubts the independence of the commissioners is flat wrong. They were openly sceptical of the UCI and turned down UCIs request to put the process on hold, for now at least.

The UCIIC will probably eventually put the process on hold, but not until there is evidence that a) some form of T&R / amnesty procedure has been agreed with WADA and 2) the process will continue to look at UCI behaviour in a reasonably short time period. They are pushing to evidence of these at next weeks hearing.

The commissioners did not understand why they had not received documents and were concerned that even you accept the UCIs reason about T&R replacign the currrent process, that excuse only really became valid a week ago when the amnesty discussion started.

UCIIC keen to have all three of USADA, WADA and CCN involved in the review, as they have both evidence and expertise.

At one point, Ian Mill regarding the T&R process said to the the commissioners something like "you have chosen to take the side of WADA and USADA".

UCI have only agreed to support T&R because UCIIC pushed them to do so. To be fair, they do have reasonable arguments abotu the length of time such a process will take, but they then seem to want to put everything else on hold while this was completed.

At least one current or former member of staff at UCI has volunteered to give evidence to UCIIC, but only on condition that UCI do not attempt to discipline him or her for e.g. breach of confidentiality. UCI gave verbal agreement to this.

UCI raised the cost of the process many times, and said that they would "partly fund" a T&R / amnestry process. This looks to me like the next defensive position for the UCI. They may refuse to go ahead with T&R until there is sufficient funding from other stakeholders.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Many Thanks to Morbius , for sharing his " take " on today's proceedings ! It is apparent that the Swiss Authorities are not showing much interest in Investigating the Evidence supplied by Paul Kimmage's Lawyer ?

Perhaps phat & heinous are hoping that their continual delay in complying with the requests of the " UCI IC " Panel , will work to their benefit ? Longer the inquiry takes , the better chance of getting into office for the next term of office ? Do they really think this will work ?

Wonder if people of the Status of " Cookson " can cause an " Extraordinary Meeting " to investigate and ACT against those causing UNNECESSARY EXPENSE for the UCI ? Perhaps the UCI Auditors could be tasked by the UCI Executive Board , regardless of any objections by phat mc splat ?

Morbius said:

Anyone who doubts the independence of the commissioners is flat wrong. They were openly sceptical of the UCI and turned down UCIs request to put the process on hold, for now at least.

The UCIIC will probably eventually put the process on hold, but not until there is evidence that a) some form of T&R / amnesty procedure has been agreed with WADA and 2) the process will continue to look at UCI behaviour in a reasonably short time period. They are pushing to evidence of these at next weeks hearing.

The commissioners did not understand why they had not received documents and were concerned that even you accept the UCIs reason about T&R replacign the currrent process, that excuse only really became valid a week ago when the amnesty discussion started.

UCIIC keen to have all three of USADA, WADA and CCN involved in the review, as they have both evidence and expertise.

At one point, Ian Mill regarding the T&R process said to the the commissioners something like "you have chosen to take the side of WADA and USADA".

UCI have only agreed to support T&R because UCIIC pushed them to do so. To be fair, they do have reasonable arguments abotu the length of time such a process will take, but they then seem to want to put everything else on hold while this was completed.

At least one current or former member of staff at UCI has volunteered to give evidence to UCIIC, but only on condition that UCI do not attempt to discipline him or her for e.g. breach of confidentiality. UCI gave verbal agreement to this.

UCI raised the cost of the process many times, and said that they would "partly fund" a T&R / amnestry process. This looks to me like the next defensive position for the UCI. They may refuse to go ahead with T&R until there is sufficient funding from other stakeholders.

Thank-you.

Excellent post. Who said the Clinic is the Asylum?

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Morbius said:

There should no longer be any doubt or uncertainty in the minds of ANY observers as to exactly where the UCI want to go with this.

We could only hope that IOC actually care.