Ulissi pulled

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 5, 2014
883
0
0
thehog said:
The Giro that year was absurdly cold. The guy was probably just trying breathe a little better and get his heart rate up.

Meanwhile Froome is wolfing down the horse steroids pumping the gas in the last 30km and all is good.
Yeah I forgot he had the permission. He just went over the limit similar to Petacchi in 2007. Cold doesn't help. I think there wouldn't be that discussion if Froome had pulled out the inhaler AFTER the stage. Nothing against a bit of asthma cure after a hard effort.
However it gets ridiculous when you widen your lungs just before an all-out effort on a mountain stage.

Froome's action was clearly with the intention to enhance his performance (like using PED's for that matter) for a crucial moment of the race.
His self confidence was probably a bit down after seing Contador in the early season. He was unsure if he could beat him just with EPO and Aicar. Worked wonders.
 
Dr. Juice said:
Yeah I forgot he had the permission. He just went over the limit similar to Petacchi in 2007. Cold doesn't help. I think there wouldn't be that discussion if Froome had pulled out the inhaler AFTER the stage. Nothing against a bit of asthma cure after a hard effort.
However it gets ridiculous when you widen your lungs just before an all-out effort on a mountain stage.

Froome's action was clearly with the intention to enhance his performance (like using PED's for that matter) for a crucial moment of the race.
His self confidence was probably a bit down after seing Contador in the early season. He was unsure if he could beat him just with EPO and Aicar. Worked wonders.
6 shots or only 5?

An asthmatic over a 5 hour stage doesn't actually remember how many puffs they've taken and the time sequence between each for the substance to dissipate.

For Froome it was obviously part of his PED plan & excuted when most needed.

Contador used to have his sinus issues which from memory he swapped out the drugs for a nose operation. 2009 was it not?
 
Jun 5, 2014
883
0
0
thehog said:
6 shots or only 5?

An asthmatic over a 5 hour stage doesn't actually remember how many puffs they've taken and the time sequence between each for the substance to dissipate.

For Froome it was obviously part of his PED plan & excuted when most needed.

Contador used to have his sinus issues which from memory he swapped out the drugs for a nose operation. 2009 was it not?
Surely 5 or 6 puffs over a handful of hours are nothing uncommon. I don't know how many puffs lead to overdoing it concerning anti-doping control. Petacchi's case was quite ridiculous as he was 1 or 2 puffs over the limit ( 1300 vs 1000 allowed...ng or mg), Ulissi exceeded that value a bit further.

Don't worry about Froome. Hmm maybe I should go to the Tour to the Plateau de Beille in July and offer him some Salbutamol from my medicine bag when he comes by struggling to hold the wheel of his competitors. :D
 
Jun 5, 2014
883
0
0
roundabout said:
I think Petacchi had a TUE for 6 puffs so he tested at twice the concentration that he had a TUE for.

But do go on.
His value was 1352 while 1000 are allowed ( equal to 6 puffs). I'll post a source tomorrow if you demand one. That means he might have done 8 puffs and he had the argument that it was cold and he didn't recall exactly and that maybe he did 1 or 2 puffs too much.

It's easy to test positive for and I'm sure that those cyclists do not use it more than allowed to improve performance. The effect negligible in contrast to other drugs and it is perfectly possible to take 1-2 puffs too much on a cold day.

I think these penalties are a joke. If you are allowed to use it...have more flexible rules...or allow a bit more of it. Just control the criteria for the TUE better (if all requirements are fullfilled).

I'm all for longer bans for stronger PED's...in the 80's there were race time penalties for Testosterone usage...now cyclists get a year if they have Asthma and use the inhaler a couple of times too often.
 
Dr. Juice said:
Surely 5 or 6 puffs over a handful of hours are nothing uncommon. I don't know how many puffs lead to overdoing it concerning anti-doping control. Petacchi's case was quite ridiculous as he was 1 or 2 puffs over the limit ( 1300 vs 1000 allowed...ng or mg), Ulissi exceeded that value a bit further.

Don't worry about Froome. Hmm maybe I should go to the Tour to the Plateau de Beille in July and offer him some Salbutamol from my medicine bag when he comes by struggling to hold the wheel of his competitors. :D
I was referring to the scene in Dirty Harry... "6 shots or only 5..."

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
It's hilarious that the UCI have held up Ulissi for so long. Perhaps they could drop into Sky HQ and find out why all those guys are asthmatics. Could be a break through study in sports science.
 
thehog said:
It's hilarious that the UCI have held up Ulissi for so long.
Err, it's Ulissi himself who has held the decision up by Swiss Cycling because he opted to go on WADA's CES program to try and explain the positive. Of course he had no chance of changing the ban, but it does mean the the ban started and will end more favourably for his and Lampre's 2015 season.
 
On Petacchi
To combat his exercise-induced asthma, the Italian had an Abbreviated Therapeutic Use Exemption (ATUE) from the UCI, which allowed him to take three doses of 200 mcg of Salbutamol by inhalation each day, and three doses of 0.5 mcg of Betamethasone by aerosol. His medical prescription was for a product called Ventolin, which contains Salbutamol, to be used three times a day. Each puff from the inhaler contains 100 mcg of Salbutamol, so he was allowed six puffs a day, to reach his total of 600 mcg.

On May 23, Petacchi told the CAS, he took two puffs from his inhaler before the race, two during the race and two or three after the race. Because he won the stage, he had to undergo a doping control. The resulting urine sample was tested at the WADA laboratory in Rome, and on May 26, the lab issued its finding that the sample contained 1352 ng/ml Salbutamol. The legal limit is 1000 ng/ml for athletes with a TUE.
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=features/2008/petacchi_suspension_may08
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
He should have done a voluntary study on salbutamol concentration in urine of a hydrated vs dehydrated athlete.

Worked for Sergio Henao...
 
Jun 5, 2014
883
0
0
Dear Wiggo said:
This result seems pointless without a control :-/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24518370

Too tired to work it out: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18469572
Okay that means Ulissi and Petacchi took more than that. A bit stupid as the benefits are meaningless compared with the risks of exceeding the limit.
However I don't think that cyclist who have a TUE use it as PED (except those who use it before going mental on a climb) , it was 1 single time they got over the limit in xx years of use. Both proven cyclists in no urge of taking too much of an easily detectable substance when they were perfectly fine within the limits for many years. Or 600-800 mcg is a bit too low from time to time when the asthma is really bad.
 
Dr. Juice said:
mcg =! ng , right. 1352 ng vs 1000 ng allowed , so he probably took 800 mcg Salbutamol instead of the allowed 600 (8 puffs instead of 6).
It is very difficult to say, except that he very probably lied about only taking 6-7 puffs that day.
 
Dear Wiggo said:
He should have done a voluntary study on salbutamol concentration in urine of a hydrated vs dehydrated athlete.

Worked for Sergio Henao...
He did. He requested a controlled test to replicate the conditions of the race to assess if it could generate the same levels. Ulissi knew he wouldn't find the results of this study out until December 23.
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
samhocking said:
He did. He requested a controlled test to replicate the conditions of the race to assess if it could generate the same levels. Ulissi knew he wouldn't find the results of this study out until December 23.
Meant Petacchi - from the post directly above.
 
OK D.Wiggo, didn't see that.

I'm pretty sure riders using Salbutomol to dope are not doing it puffing on an inhaler to take it as it's too open to error. As far as I understand, you get your TUE for Salbutomol and this then allows you to take it intravenously up to the TUE limit in a controlled way for the long term where the ergogenic effects do give a performance increase. Nobody inhaling during a race will be getting any benefit and pretty much proven in multiple studies.
 
Feb 3, 2015
2
0
0
I've raced with excercise-induced asthma for years. I was first diagnosed at about age 30 and I am 60 now, using Albuterol fairly often for all those years. A few years ago, I was advised to try a different inhaler called Flovent, and now I rarely use the Albuterol (Salbutamol), don't get attacks since starting one dose daily of Flovent..Flovent is supposed to prevent the attack rather than relieve the wheezing of an attack..
Asthma really is awful. I used to have it very bad when I worked as a carpenter, closed into houses by very cold Wyoming weather with all that construction dust, and then I'd go try to ride home with all my fellow carpenters who were also my racer buddies...ugg.
I found that a long warm-up usually prevented any attacks, but if I didn't warm up and then got 'jumped' at the start of a race or a ride...I could almost feel my air passages shutting down. Since I've started with the Flovent and I haven't been in the sawdust much, I have had no attacks, but I still carry an albuterol inhaler in my jersey pocket..just in case..Good luck, many famous aerobic atheletes have asthma and deal with it ok..
Don Hanson
 
Jun 5, 2014
883
0
0
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lampre-merida-hit-back-at-mpcc-after-questions-about-ulissi

MPCC was unhappy that Team Lampre sceduled him for Pais Vasco. But Lampre has the right to do that.
Smart move :

"Ulissi returning to compete in the Team fully respects the MPCC rules and regulations, namely the article 4 which is mentioned in the press release."
"This rule is in fact applicable to the hiring of new riders: as Ulissi already holds a contract with the Team, therefore this rule does not apply to his case and for this we don't comprehend the necessity to clarify our position. Once again the Team has respected the rules and regulations of the MPCC, as we have always done in the past, strictly applying all the requests even though various situations have been to our disadvantage."
 
Re: Re:

infeXio said:
carton said:
So, yeah.
Wow, Ulissi winning a stage with a slight uphill finish. My god, he must be so dirty!
Didn't really enjoy the way he celebrated that one. But I'm a heartless b who doesn't believe in miracles. Or that the guys who want it that desperately will know exactly were to draw the line. But yeah, I don't know if he's dirty or not. Riding Lobato (an everyone else) clean off his wheel after 264km sure didn't convince me otherwise, though.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Re: Re:

infeXio said:
carton said:
So, yeah.
Wow, Ulissi winning a stage with a slight uphill finish. My god, he must be so dirty!
Let us correct this for accuracy..........

Wow, Ulissi, known doper, winning the longest stage with a slight uphill finish against so many dopers including Ferraris boys. My god, he must be still so dirty!

See easy when you know how. ;)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY