• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ullrich attacks Armstrong!!!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
UlleGigo said:
Without a doubt. Jan's problem was his work ethic. The year at Bianchi was really the only year after 1997 that he half pie bothered to prepare.

I definitely don't think Ulle's doping program or training was anything compared to Armstrong. Really I don't think he could be bothered most of the time.

What does having the best dope prove anyway? Remembering that Ulle had Riis as a reference point for what EPO could do the answer is a definitive 'not much'.

98 was only year he showed up at the tour overweight. If you look at his Tour pics, he was lean all the other years. If anything he maybe had too much muscle.

martinvickers said:
Ullrich = Indurain.

No more, no less. Humbler than Armstrong, kinda nice guy, treated the peleton respectfully. Cheat and Omerta protector. His interview is pure Omerta...I'll take my punishment and keep my mouth shut for 'the guys'. Noble on the peleton level; anything but on the level of the whole sport and where it needs to go.

Simples.

Sadly, I must agree.
Have to respect Floyd more every day. That is even if the hacking and other so-so stuff is true. He's a lot closer to a spot in cycling heaven than the silent nice guys who cheated and shut their face.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Zweistein said:
98 was only year he showed up at the tour overweight. If you look at his Tour pics, he was lean all the other years. If anything he maybe had too much muscle.

True. But, people still listen to, and believe, the false axioms of LA, Brunyeel and Phil L/Paul S. "Oh Jan really had to train hard last month to shed weight, Jan always has problems with his weight, hope that doesn't affect him in the mountains." And now that BS still bubbles to the surface.

I find it hard to believe that a guy with a VO2Max of close to 90, with all the same baseline drugs as everyone else in the peloton (steroids, EPO ) and same or less Blood bags as the top 20 GT races, but with a HCT of less than 43 could be seen as an average racer.

As for what he recently said, he didn't attack anyone but stated the obvious.

As for why Jan hasn't come out and declared all his evil deeds....really guys, what would you do? He hasn't raced since 2006ish. The UCI never supported him, he was eviscerated by the media, jettisoned out of cycling in an instant and has moved on in disgrace. What would his motives for coming clean with all the intricate details be?

He never was a show boater, never sought out persecuting others or seeking the lime light but now he should? I would like him to set the record straight but suggesting he should or would is not congruent with reality or his personality.

What about Indurain or Roche? What about allowing Axel M and the likes of Hincape to be contemporaneously involved in affecting young cyclists on current UCI racing teams today. That is a higher level of importance or magnitude greater than anything Ulle says about the past.

Neworld said:
True. But, people still listen to, and believe, the false axioms of LA, Brunyeel and Phil L/Paul S. "Oh Jan really had to train hard last month to shed weight, Jan always has problems with his weight, hope that doesn't affect him in the mountains." And now that BS still bubbles to the surface.

I find it hard to believe that a guy with a VO2Max of close to 90, with all the same baseline drugs as everyone else in the peloton (steroids, EPO ) and same or less Blood bags as the top 20 GT races, but with a HCT of less than 43 could be seen as an average racer.

As for why Jan hasn't come out and declared all his evil deeds....really guys, what would you do? He hasn't raced since 2006ish. The UCI never supported him, he was eviscerated by the media, jettisoned out of cycling in an instant and has moved on in disgrace. What would his motives for coming clean with all the intricate details be?

He never was a show boater, never sought out persecuting others or seeking the lime light but now he should? I would like him too set the record straight but suggesting he should or would is not congruent with reality or his personality.

What about Indurain or Roche? What about allowing Axel M and the likes of Hincape to be contemporaneously involved in affecting young cyclists on current UCI racing teams today. That is a higher level of importance or magnitude greater than anything Ulle says about the past.

This is the perfect post and so true.

Neworld said:

He never was a show boater, never sought out persecuting others or seeking the lime light but now he should? I would like him too set the record straight but suggesting he should or would is not congruent with reality or his personality.

100% agree...this

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
The whole Armstrong thing is maybe one long paragraph, pretty much as Bavarianrider said. Not much else about it.

Alpecin is a variety of hair care products.

Fair enough then.

That's right...hair products, not hair loss. Thanks Susan. :)

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Fatclimber said:
And Johan isn't the devil.

Johan never worked with Jan though did he?

Doping wise, LA, Ferrari and Bruyneel are considered the evil trio in cycling. Just bad news all around. So not the devil, but close.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Not sure what any of this has to do with Jan and Rudy damaging the sport in Germany.

It has everything to do with German doping. It's well known how far East Germany and Russia went to achieve sporting success. The backlash against cycling is a by product of that pent up anger and disgust at Germany's sporting legacy which was largely and solely achieved by cheating, aka doping.

The wider German attitude to doping is MORE significant than anything Pevenage or Ullrich ever did. Do you feel the same was about Kloden? How about Kohl and Schumacher who actually were caught red handed? What about Stefan Matschiner? Sure two of these are Austrian, but ignore that, the similarities are identical. There were many players, many people knew what was going on at T-Mobile and in other German sporting endeavours. As you said, the media went into a frenzy.

PS: Great post neworld. Jan did many things, but he still doesn't have a finger in the pie meddling with younger riders.

The thing with Ullrich being overweight and not taking proper care of himself during the winter is not a myth and it did NOT come from LA & Bruyneel. Remember when his team was all "if he rides the Giro first, maybe he'll finally start the Tour in decent form"? He almost invariably lost time in the first mountain stage, only to get better later on. He was absolutely pathetic in the early season (not "clean and unable to perform" pathetic, but positively fat).

Not everything is about LA & Bruyneel.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
The thing with Ullrich being overweight and not taking proper care of himself during the winter is not a myth and it did NOT come from LA & Bruyneel. Remember when his team was all "if he rides the Giro first, maybe he'll finally start the Tour in decent form"? He almost invariably lost time in the first mountain stage, only to get better later on. He was absolutely pathetic in the early season (not "clean and unable to perform" pathetic, but positively fat).

Sometimes it's about German beer, pastries and other decadent German culinary dishes.

Party time!!! :p

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
He says that a sponsor of him(probably Alpecin) wanted to go into pro cycling but stopped their plans when the Armstong's doping case was covered up.

Alpecin's most famous slogan is "Doping für die Haare" (doping for your hair). I don't think they were too fussed about doping when considering sponsoring a cyling team.

I don't think Ullrich has said anything interesting in that interview at all. He would still be able to make some important contributions, particularly when it comes to the notorious German cycling federation (BDR), or the prestigious (and apparently highly hypocritical) Freiburg University sports science department. Unfortunately he still seems to get advised by the wrong people, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Neworld said:

He never was a show boater, never sought out persecuting others or seeking the lime light but now he should? I would like him to set the record straight but suggesting he should or would is not congruent with reality or his personality.

I'm inclined to agree as well.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

I would agree that Ullrich did show up 'out of shape' and 'weighed more' than other GT riders in the beginning of the year, but there are/were many other riders that had a similar status in early season races.

The point I am trying to make is that Ulle was not dissimilar to the average GT rider for weight and conditioning. We've all read the anecdotal 'Ulle was grunting on this climb' and ' couldn't ride with that training group but suddenly could ride up a mountain ...' But, that wasn't always the case. He wasn't always overweight, our in poor condition. It was the 'spirit of those days' to take pot shots at Jan coming in second, riding like a diesel engine, carrying too much weight, low cadence full of power... BS. He was quiet and didn't fight back which may have been one of his weaknesses...but it is also why he was more likable and why people felt they could relate to him. He never quit tho. For me a magical moment was watching Jan break away I think in 2004 and the USP (landis) and Saxo(Jens) spent dear energies reeling him in. Watching LA sprint for 200m to take the win after sucking wheel all day, said a lot too. The next day, despite riding alone the day before, Jan still had the competitive nature to fight it out up L'Alpe.

As an aside, I watched the 98 TdF a few years back and my memory may be off but I recall many times at the bottom of climbs when Jan was without a team-mate and one time he flatted and had to ride up to catch the lead group without a mate to pace him. He was fairly alone that TdF and had one bad day. If someone recalls differently I could stand corrected.

I suspect Ullrich was relying on EPO until 2003 when he added blood transfusions to his repertoire. During that Tour he was equal to Armstrong. It is too bad he got sick in 2004 and crashed multiple times in 2005. The difference between the two was that most of the time Armstrong had a better doping program and/or better luck.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
enCYCLOpedia said:
Alpecin's most famous slogan is "Doping für die Haare" (doping for your hair). I don't think they were too fussed about doping when considering sponsoring a cyling team.

I don't think Ullrich has said anything interesting in that interview at all. He would still be able to make some important contributions, particularly when it comes to the notorious German cycling federation (BDR), or the prestigious (and apparently highly hypocritical) Freiburg University sports science department. Unfortunately he still seems to get advised by the wrong people, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
athletes have gone for supposedly taking finasteride (chemical name) or brand name propecia.

inverted commas supposedly close inverted commas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2325068
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/11160989/ns/sports-winter_olympics/
http://patrickarnoldblog.com/two-inadvertant-drug-positives-two-different-outcomes/

Finasteride has been on the banned list since 2005. Two athletes, tennis player Mariano Hood and soccer player Nemanja Vucicevic, were banned for taking the same drug last year.

The World Anti-Doping Code recommends a two-year suspension for a first serious doping violation, and it has the right to appeal any decision it feels to be too lenient or incorrect.
think a winter sport skeleton (toboggan), maybe a sailor too, some legit baldies.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Agree.

I remember that godefroot said "combine the talent of Ulrich and the amount of work that zabel did and you've a rider that's even more impressive than Merckx"

Maybe a bit too much but i don't think it's *** which says enough.

I'm ashamed of myself that i was cheering for armstrong, stupid kid that i was :(;)

You weren't alone in that cheering squad. In my own defense, I will say the cheers became less enthusiastic about TdF#4 or thereabouts. By #6, I was in open doubting mode. But even then, the preponderance of opinion was "not to worry".

Ullrich always seemed like a good guy - someone you could party with and have a good time. And I know other ppl thought the same, eh? ;)