• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ullrich beats Contador to Arcalis

May 20, 2009
Visit site
What's going on? With 3km to go there are still 40 riders in the elite peloton! From this slow pace, Contador goes up the final 10km in only 25:22. Jan Ullrich rode the same 10km to Arcalis in 22:55!! We're watching some S-L-O-W riding this year guys and gals!!

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
longrun said:
What's going on? With 3km to go there are still 40 riders in the elite peloton! From this slow pace, Contador goes up the final 10km in only 25:22. Jan Ullrich rode the same 10km to Arcalis in 22:55!! We're watching some S-L-O-W riding this year guys and gals!!

Interesting

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
longrun said:

They were climbing into a headwind most of the time, except for Contador when he made his break and drafted behind the motorcycles.

A

Anonymous

byu123 said:
They were climbing into a headwind most of the time, except for Contador when he made his break and drafted behind the motorcycles.

Dude, the sour grapes are starting to mold.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Dude, the sour grapes are starting to mold.

Never figured A. Schleck to be one for sour grapes as you suggest. He is usually pretty straight forward, laid back, and not prone to exaggeration. You have a different impression of A.Schelck??

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
byu123 said:
Never figured A. Schleck to be one for sour grapes as you suggest. He is usually pretty straight forward, laid back, and not prone to exaggeration. You have a different impression of A.Schelck??

This was my impression of Schleck as well. I haven't followed the guy all that much but people on here seem to like him. From what I have heard or read he seems to be a stand up guy.

byu123 said:

You must be running out of LivestrongTM tissues.:p

Watching his counter-attack and Andy is full of crap. The moto was in front of him for MAYBE 10 meters when he was passing the Silence rider. Schleck wasn't in the picture at the time. Contador increased his lead without the bike. Schleck couldn't follow.

May 30, 2009
Visit site
I was nodding off - it was so slooooooow. Usual diesel attack by Cadel and then Contador but I agree - for sure he was drafting those press bikes and no commissars around either.

Sour grapes - no - blantantly obvious - yes.

A

Anonymous

byu123 said:
Never figured A. Schleck to be one for sour grapes as you suggest. He is usually pretty straight forward, laid back, and not prone to
exaggeration. You have a different impression of A.Schelck??

I just watched it, he is full of sh!t. By the time he could even see Contador and begin to cover, the bikes were well ahead of Contador and were only close for seconds. They are pros at this and got out of the way.

Sour grapes indeed.

byu123 said:

He's "exaggerating" on this one. He couldn't close the gap. The moto was irrelevant to what happened.

A

Anonymous

42coppi said:
I was nodding off - it was so slooooooow. Usual diesel attack by Cadel and then Contador but I agree - for sure he was drafting those press bikes and no commissars around either.

Sour grapes - no - blantantly obvious - yes.

Not even close. Just watched it in slow motion and neither bike contributed significantly to the attack and on top of that, by the time Schleck took off, they were WELL ahead.

Again, you see what you want to see, but reality says differently.

A

Anonymous

The closest he came to drafting a moto was when he rounded the curve and that bike accelerated away VERY quickly.

The motorbike incident goes the way of WMD's.

A

Anonymous

RightWingNutJob said:
I'm still not convinced!!

on WMD's that is.

LOL! Well, with a name like yours, I would not have expected differently.:D

May 13, 2009
Visit site
It was slow because Astana didn't want the jersey. So JB kept trying to slow his team down. It wasn't until Contador attacked that the pace really lifted.