• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ullrich burnout?

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The timing seems suspect. His blood was found at Puerto clinic. The tooth fairy didn't deliver it. Admitt it. get on with life. If it's true. Then I wish him well.

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I can imagine there is some stress involved in the on going court cases. Whether you'd call that 'burn out' or not is another matter, and irrelevant really.

I thought Ulrich wasn't trying to clear his name, and was just getting on with a quieter life. I like him, I'm a fan but I think he doped.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
LKing25 said:
Ullrich claimed burnout from "being overworked" does he have another job we are unaware of?

Lots of ex riders have problems adapting to normal life. especially when you're from a country where people are remarkably well informed about what really goes on in pro cycling, and have a media that strives to uncover the facts, rather than repeat the usual tragic BS that we tend to get in the Anglophone media.

Jan is always keen to stress how happy and content he is to no longer be racing. Too keen in fact.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
LKing25 said:
Ullrich claimed burnout from "being overworked" does he have another job we are unaware of?

Well he has a bike shop in Austria and He is developing his own line of Bikes...

This case is really sad... Would have been better if he had accepted that he doped and had helped the autorities in the case, he just would have taken 1 year of ban and then he would have came back... but he choose the hard way and now here we are... is really sad... I'm a big fan but I'm pretty disappointed :(

Hope he can recover soon and that he can find pace in his life and with himself...

Ryaguas said:
Well he has a bike shop in Austria and He is developing his own line of Bikes...

This case is really sad... Would have been better if he had accepted that he doped and had helped the autorities in the case, he just would have taken 1 year of ban and then he would have came back... but he choose the hard way and now here we are... is really sad... I'm a big fan but I'm pretty disappointed :(

Hope he can recover soon and that he can find pace in his life and with himself...

[waiting to move to the clinic] Jan could have had a life ban if he was officially sanctioned because he had already served an amphetamine suspension, he sort of had to deny. A life ban like that would make it difficult for him to be a DS or do coaching if he wants to later on.

But since he said 'anyone that can't work out what happened in cycling is beyond my help,' to me he wants to tell the truth and probably will tell the truth once things are legally possible for him, probably 2014 at the earliest when he can't be sanctioned for working with Fuentes. He was an idiot for trying to sue Franke.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
R.0.t.O said:
[waiting to move to the clinic] Jan could have had a life ban if he was officially sanctioned because he had already served an amphetamine suspension, he sort of had to deny. A life ban like that would make it difficult for him to be a DS or do coaching if he wants to later on.

But since he said 'anyone that can't work out what happened in cycling is beyond my help,' to me he wants to tell the truth and probably will tell the truth once things are legally possible for him, probably 2014 at the earliest when he can't be sanctioned for working with Fuentes. He was an idiot for trying to sue Franke.

Yes, he wanted to tell something like the truth. But then Mrs. Bannenberg came around the corner and made all worse.
But main problem was, that Ulle was surrounded by stupid people. He sorted them out to late.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
erader said:
all that lying and denying is hard on a fella who at best has displayed dubious motivation throughout his career.

erader

This "dubious motivation" is a running gag. Nothing more.
The fairy tale of "fat, lazy Jan".

After his terrible knee injury, Jan was never the same - but he always gave his best.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:

After his terrible knee injury, Jan was never the same - but he always gave his best.

not according to bjarne riis and the girls at the disco.

erader

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:

Which is why Rudy P. said that psychological issues associated with doping drove Jan to over-eat in the off-season. Yep.

Really though--sad news. Ullrich from all accounts was one of the most decent guys in the peloton. I had the impression that he was enjoying his retirement, away from the sewer that is Pro Cycling (the sport we all love).

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
erader said:
not according to bjarne riis and the girls at the disco.

erader

You mean that Riis, who didn´t get Jan´s signature on the CSC contract ? :D
You should also know, that Bjarne is a funny man. As Jan used to be...

Disco girls ? What do you mean ? Can you please make a list of cyclists (young men), who don´t pay a visit to a disco at some time and are not interested in girls ?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I suppose it never occurred to Jan that being honest and coming clean about his career might give him some inner peace. Instead he chooses to fight it. I am still a fan of Jan and it saddens me to know he has submitted to the shrinks for "long term treatment." Good luck, Jan. You'll really need it now.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Wallace said:
Which is why Rudy P. said that psychological issues associated with doping drove Jan to over-eat in the off-season. Yep.

Really though--sad news. Ullrich from all accounts was one of the most decent guys in the peloton. I had the impression that he was enjoying his retirement, away from the sewer that is Pro Cycling (the sport we all love).
Rudy tells much, when the day is long. Would have been better for Jan, if he never met him.
Every human being is different. Ullrich was never fat - he just wasn´t that skinny for the whole season, because his body couldn´t handle it and wasn´t like that. When german newspaper wrote that Ullrich was fat, he just looked normal in reality - of course not that skinny, as in the third week of the tour.
During the offseason, every (professional)cyclist eats much and gains weight.

But that were great times and storys: The Ullrich weight-watch :p

Your Impression was wrong. Nothing is over yet for Ullrich.
On court (Franke) and on the sportingcourt (UCI, Suisse Cycling-->CAS).

Of course Jan always said that he enjoys his live now and that he is happy.
But I suspected all the time that he actually doesn´t.
Jan, as a person, is too good for that. I don´t say he is a softy, but he is just a good, nice guy.

You can now all see that he doesn´t enjoy his live.

Wallace said:

+1

Ullrich is/was a genuinely nice guy. After I almost plowed into him while I was descending Monte Serra and he was about to begin a fitness test - I stopped to apologize and he was like, "No worries, the Jan is fine." and I was like, "Can I have a picture with your Greatness?" and he was like, "Yaa, the Jan loves to show his humble, friendly side, to counter the fear and horror he strikes in the hearts of his competitors." and I was like, "Sweet - well, say Cheese!"

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Mr.DNA said:
I suppose it never occurred to Jan that being honest and coming clean about his career might give him some inner peace. Instead he chooses to fight it. I am still a fan of Jan and it saddens me to know he has submitted to the shrinks for "long term treatment." Good luck, Jan. You'll really need it now.

Good point.
Surrounded and advised by the wrong people, but he noticed too late.
Stuck and a little bit stubborn, and to many people who told him not to talk, and also people who put him under pressure not to talk.

Most important thing is, not to make a mistake twice and I think Jan learned a lot in that point.
He is just too good for "his inner peace" at that point of the story. I hope he will talk and get it.

Mr.DNA said:

I do not think denying doping has anything to do with catching the Epstein-Barr virus, which according to a friend of his is what he has been suffering with for a while.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Jan is probably pushing to large a gear in the world of life. People don't like seeing sausages being made. With Ulrich,people do not want to see Ulrich eating sausages. I hear Jan is in training trying to beat the Japanese sausage eating champion. Dr. Ferrari is secretly working with Jan in Tenifre on doping techniques for more hot dog eating capability.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
+1

Ullrich is/was a genuinely nice guy. After I almost plowed into him while I was descending Monte Serra and he was about to begin a fitness test - I stopped to apologize and he was like, "No worries, the Jan is fine." and I was like, "Can I have a picture with your Greatness?" and he was like, "Yaa, the Jan loves to show his humble, friendly side, to counter the fear and horror he strikes in the hearts of his competitors." and I was like, "Sweet - well, say Cheese!"

Awe Man, you had to go a remind me of The Jan Myspace page.

Now I'm all sad that he stopped writing.

joe_papp said:
+1

Great story.

Jens Voight tells a story about big Jan and his largeness. He said that if Jens drives to the McDonalds drive through with his kids no one cares. But if Jan went within 5km's of a fast food store the German press were there taking a photo and writing a story. It wouldn't matter if he'd drilled out 200km that day. They persecuted him. It's so strange a guy like Ullrich had been completely cut out of the sport. I think he knows too much to be honest.

joe_papp said:
+1

Ps The monte Serra is a lovely climb. There's a good doctor who lives nearby. That climb is a test for a lot of Pro's.

Were you training in Lucca?