• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Unbelievable doping excuses

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He got a mechanic to give him some piss for a test but it turned out the mechanic had been stealing pills from the team doctor to stay awake to do his job
I'm pretty sure there was never an accusation of theft. Stimul was available from the corner pharmacy and was widely used by long-distance drivers. If it was was obtained from the team doctor - I presume you mean the swanny, Willy Voet - then it wouldn't have come as a such a surprise to all concerned.

Oh, and Kelly has never admitted he faked that test. It's still one of those mysteries, as far as he's concerned.

Apart from those quibbles, great story...

I'm pretty sure there was never an accusation of theft. Stimul was available from the corner pharmacy and was widely used by long-distance drivers. If it was was obtained from the team doctor - I presume you mean the swanny, Willy Voet - then it wouldn't have come as a such a surprise to all concerned.

Oh, and Kelly has never admitted he faked that test. It's still one of those mysteries, as far as he's concerned.

Apart from those quibbles, great story...
True he never tells the story himself it's more an old word of mouth story that's told about him.
As for the other details you are probably right as my memory and that of the people who told me would be fuzzy

Last edited:

Not sure if this 'excuse' is actually true or not. First it was supposed to be her doctor (who also is/was her boyfriend) that provided the EPO. Now she says it was her stepfather and he confessed, therefore she was cleared of a ban (for now).

confessed to inject Ophélie Claude-Boxberger EPO without her knowledge.
[...]
In this context, he would have injected EPO into the athlete's body while sleeping.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS