• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Unsportmanlike Leopard Team

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not the biggest fan of Andy, but it seems as if the whole RB team has taken their PR cues from him...

LT are honing themselves for the tour and were setting the pace long before TGBM had a mechanical. Once he flatted it makes sense to keep it up so their own team mate has a chance at some overall glory. Maybe I'm completely wrong but it is a bike RACE is it not?

Geez it's a bike Race, you take your knocks and keep on riding....minus all the whining...It's a sport for Strong Men! Ride On!

The Shlecks think Everyone should stop for them, but they take advantage every time someone else has a problem....Andy should learn to shift properly and stop crying like a baby.

I don't think anyone should stop for anything or anyone!

Hope turn around is fair play and LT has an incident and everyone rides on :)

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I think it is good for the sport.
Both that Leopard-Trek rides to win and the following Rabobank-drama.
Whether they were right or wrong it is an interesting and entertaining thing.

It should be emotional and team rivalries is one ingredient more in the pot. Should set things up nicely for TdF.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I think it is just double standards by the schlecks.
Making some enemies tho.

I quite like the idea of a little bit of bad blood between teams (I don't mean USP blood tho ;) ) . That is a positive of this.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Leopard was only riding because Mollema was dropped. There simply is no other reason for them to ride. Movistar and Garmin all had tactical reasons to ride. If those 2 (or Quickstep/Liquigas or others with sprinters in the first group) had done the same, everyone here would have agreed it was a solid tactic and just bad luck for Mollema.
Or Leopard is trying to form an alliance with Garmin to fight the Spanish armada during the Tour. Not sure if screwing Rabobank is the right way to go then tho. Rabobank does have some Spanish ties after all.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
Seems to be lots of leopard-trek hate going on. Seems a lot of people are just looking for more reasons to hate LT. I have comeplete indifference to them, but would find the meltdown if Andy won the tour pretty hilarious.

You're now doing what you accuse others of doing.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
As much as dislike LT, I don't think they did anything wrong from an ethical perspective. Tactically, I don't think it was a pretty brilliant move but seriously, we are not in a position to criticize a Pro-Tour DS, the guy probably saw something on the road we did not see and its easy to look back and criticize.

Having Rabo as enemies won't help at the TDF

Off topic: I really hope AS gets his *** kicked at the Tour. I don't like the guy too much after seeing how he treated his brother at the Vuelta last year :D

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
It's cycling. World's toughest sport. Not a pussies sport.

ok so in last years tour when frank crashes out on the cobbles, cancellara goes off and neutralises the whole stage as if he is the god of the peleton.

Now someone else punctures and LT are smashing up the pace to destroy his chances.

I used to respect most of the riders now in LT. but over the last year or more, they have become bad sportsmen. They use their high status to get their way and to achieve their ends.

indurain666 said:
As much as dislike LT, I don't think they did anything wrong from an ethical perspective. Tactically, I don't think it was a pretty brilliant move but seriously, we are not in a position to criticize a Pro-Tour DS, the guy probably saw something on the road we did not see and its easy to look back and criticize.

finally someone showing some sense and realising that it's not the riders doing it but doing as they're told by their DS. Throwing abuse at the riders for following their boss' orders is a bit naive...

the_kman said:
ok so in last years tour when frank crashes out on the cobbles, cancellara goes off and neutralises the whole stage as if he is the god of the peleton.

Now someone else punctures and LT are smashing up the pace to destroy his chances.

I used to respect most of the riders now in LT. but over the last year or more, they have become bad sportsmen. They use their high status to get their way and to achieve their ends.

wasn't the cobbled stage... and if you think it was cancellara's doing to neutralise the stage you're not paying attention. He was following orders from his DS. I'd also bet that there were other DS's involved in that one.

TdF is coming up and there's no word on the LT team being finalised, is there?
Means that the riders will do as their DS tells them and not jeopardise their chance for a TdF ride.
Pretty simple really...

This thing is getting more confusing by the minute; first Cancellara protecting his interests in stage 3 on last years tour, then not waiting for AC on the cobbles, then the chaingate incident, now with TL attacking Rabbobank? and Bob Roll criticizing AC any time he can, and just laughing ironacally today and saying: Maybe he's just practicing for this Tour against Contador hahahaha, what a tool and talk about double standards, in my oppinion is cool to keep on going, in the end is a race, but please don't complaint or ***** about it, SPECIALLY IF YOU DO THE SAME

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
gatete said:
This thing is getting more confusing by the minute; first Cancellara protecting his interests in stage 3 on last years tour, then not waiting for AC on the cobbles, then the chaingate incident, now with TL attacking Rabbobank? and Bob Roll criticizing AC any time he can, and just laughing ironacally today and saying: Maybe he's just practicing for this Tour against Contador hahahaha, what a tool and talk about double standards, in my oppinion is cool to keep on going, in the end is a race, but please don't complaint or ***** about it, SPECIALLY IF YOU DO THE SAME

well said

</thread>

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
It's not unsportmanlike. Sport is about winning. Not at all cost, but at some cost. This is not the first time a rider loses places in a race because of a mechanical. It's just bad luck If it was a crash it would've been different, but even then I wouldn't have expected anyone to wait. I agree that is was hypocritical of Leopard, though, and I imagine a bit embarrassing for Andy.

Now I was going to say that Rabo should stop whinging and start plotting their revenge, but from the velonation article I see Bauke is already on it.

I think we all can agree on this:

It's not unsportmanlike per se, it's racing. There's no sportmanship involved if you're expected to do something regardless of the circumstances. If you're going to be sportmanlike you have to do it on your own volition and despite the fact that it wouldn't be expected of you or anyone else, otherwise it's just cowardice in giving in to peer pressure and calling it sportmanship just to look good. However, when you do it to others but make a big fuss when others do it to you, you *are* being unsportmanlike, hypocritical and a total jerkass. Leopard is an asssquad and they deserve every failure that comes their way.

edit: also, "just following team orders" doesn't cut it. Last year, IIRC, Gesink, Menchov and Freire were told to ride by their DS in the Spa stage, but they refused.

hrotha said:
I think we all can agree on this:

It's not unsportmanlike per se, it's racing. There's no sportmanship involved if you're expected to do something regardless of the circumstances. If you're going to be sportmanlike you have to do it on your own volition and despite the fact that it wouldn't be expected of you or anyone else, otherwise it's just cowardice in giving in to peer pressure and calling it sportmanship just to look good. However, when you do it to others but make a big fuss when others do it to you, you *are* being unsportmanlike, hypocritical and a total jerkass. Leopard is an asssquad and they deserve every failure that comes their way.

edit: also, "just following team orders" doesn't cut it. Last year, IIRC, Gesink, Menchov and Freire were told to ride by their DS in the Spa stage, but they refused.

Where did you get that???

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Andy, you master of trolls.

34g127q.jpg

*Screenshot may have been digitally altered.

TRENDING THREADS