• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Updating Dura Ace - Help Wanted

I have just got back into riding, and I think that it is about time that i did some updating of my components..
I am currently running Dura Ace 9 speed - from way back to 1998 or so.
Do I need to replace the lot, or can I replace bits & pieces?
Any advice would be welcome.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
hello lad

pretty much all of it.

although the 10 speed chain will run on the thicker 9 spd ring, it is not ideal and the up shift not sweet. the chainline will be off a few mm too as the BB is thinner by 4 mm - so chainrub on front mech an extra sprocket.

aLL of transmission obviously, sti's so it looks like your brakes will be the only thing!

the 9 speed dura ace is indestructable, great stuff. the 7900 isnt wearing as well as 7800, the sti levers especially seem messy and ALOT have been returned. New upgrade design is being released on the hush by shimano in nov. so wait til then

best value on shimano is the new ultegra- lighter than your DA9 and half the money of the new rip off DA10 which has doubled price in 18 months

the truth. said:
hello lad

pretty much all of it.

although the 10 speed chain will run on the thicker 9 spd ring, it is not ideal and the up shift not sweet. the chainline will be off a few mm too as the BB is thinner by 4 mm - so chainrub on front mech an extra sprocket.

aLL of transmission obviously, sti's so it looks like your brakes will be the only thing!

the 9 speed dura ace is indestructable, great stuff. the 7900 isnt wearing as well as 7800, the sti levers especially seem messy and ALOT have been returned. New upgrade design is being released on the hush by shimano in nov. so wait til then

best value on shimano is the new ultegra- lighter than your DA9 and half the money of the new rip off DA10 which has doubled price in 18 months

Hmmmm.-

-9s and 10s rings are the same 'thickness', just closer together. a 10s chain runs fine on a 9s crank, shifts fine.

-Chainline from 9s to 10s is identical. 4mm thinner BB? One is a 2 piece crank, the other is Octalink but the chainline remains the same.

-In shop experience, I have warrantied dozens of 7700/6500 STI levers, they failed frequently. Very few 7800 or 6600 or 5506 STI.

-6700 is twice the price of 6600. If I were this gent I would opt for 7800 or 6600. 1/2 the price of 7900 or 6700, light reliable and stay away from things like $400 big chainrings(about $200 for a 6700 big chainring).

Nick777 said:
I have just got back into riding, and I think that it is about time that i did some updating of my components..
I am currently running Dura Ace 9 speed - from way back to 1998 or so.
Do I need to replace the lot, or can I replace bits & pieces?
Any advice would be welcome.

Does it work? If so, clean the bike off and go ride. When something that is not made anymore fails, then look to upgrade, like the STI lever. Get a lever set, cassette and chain, continue to ride. The most important part of the bicycle is the frame/fork, not the bits you hang onto it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The differences between 9 and 10 are very small. Bascially the only thing you have to do is keep your shifters matched to your cassette and chain. 9 spd shifters need a 9 speed cassette and chain, likewise for 10.

Also the other non-compatible pairing would be 7700 or 7800 levers with 7900 brakes. That moves from modulating to full lock up too quickly. Going the other way is fine, 7900 levers with 7700 brakes.

You can mix anything else you want, 7700 crank with 7800 shifter and 7900 rear derailleur will work just as well as any other combo of shimano bits. A 9 spd front derailleur works with a 10 speed rear, a 10 speed rear derailleur works with a 9spd shifter etc... Shimano keeps spacing and pull ratios consistent from year to year. Only once did they break with this and that was only one model of DA pre 9spd.

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
hello, not to keen on making posts when there is one already up and about.

i too am in the same situation, i started riding about a year ago and was lucky enough to score a pretty good bike with a 7700 group and i feel that an update to 10 speed is due. unfortunately im a starving college student and i cant exactly afford much, my budget looks to be somewhere campy veloce, 105, rival range. which one of the three groups will give me an equivalent or at LEAST close to performance of my current group? and being 7700 being late 90's early 00's, would today's 'entry' level groups actually surpass?

soOpOSMthanks! said:
hello, not to keen on making posts when there is one already up and about.

i too am in the same situation, i started riding about a year ago and was lucky enough to score a pretty good bike with a 7700 group and i feel that an update to 10 speed is due. unfortunately im a starving college student and i cant exactly afford much, my budget looks to be somewhere campy veloce, 105, rival range. which one of the three groups will give me an equivalent or at LEAST close to performance of my current group? and being 7700 being late 90's early 00's, would today's 'entry' level groups actually surpass?

7700, if it works, is a great group. Nothing to be gained by 7800 or any other 10s group(1 cog). 'Performance' will be the same. As things break, upgrade, buy food.

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the help, my group runs very sound, aside from the fact that i took a good fall and now my right shifter doesn't go back to the neutral position when i upshift, so i have to do an extra flick on the fingers. good to know though that even at this time it still considered a good, reliable group