• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Uran Ultimo Hype Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maltiv said:
Yea he looked great, only 8 minutes behind Fränk.

Or alternatively, 38 seconds behind Contador, in eighth place, coming in alongside Basso and Tondo and with gaps to Evans, Mollema, Di Luca etc.

(Hang on, I thought we were still talking about Uran! Having now been baffled by a volume button and failed to notice that Uran has never ridden for Garmin in the space of 2 hours, this is clearly not my day).

ingsve said:
He's always been pretty fast so why not have him sprint when there is no one else there to sprint for them? I don't see anyone complaining when Valverde sprints whenever he gets an opportunity and no one is trying to make Valverde into a sprinter either.

Thats because Valverde is and always was a sprinter. Just an absolutely amazing climber, descender and tter as well so his sprinting suffered a bit, but if the most prestigious prize in cycling was a sprint down the Champs Elysee I think we would see Piti challenging the likes of Farrar and Cav.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Thats because Valverde is and always was a sprinter. Just an absolutely amazing climber, descender and tter as well so his sprinting suffered a bit, but if the most prestigious prize in cycling was a sprint down the Champs Elysee I think we would see Piti challenging the likes of Farrar and Cav.

Lol, hell no.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Yea he looked great, only 8 minutes behind Fränk.

I'm very surprised that Uran is not on the squad for Amstel Gold Race, thought that race would be almost perfect for him.

uran really hates that race

and uran has always been very fast, was incredible trackrider, but has never shown it by neglect in the last years because he didn't like to be in the mass in the sprintingsetups. now he is again sprinting thank god, it's a huge weapon. he was the most allround of the golden 3 henao, duarte and uran

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
how do you judge uran season?

to me he had a good season :
podium quebec and emilia, top 5 LBL honourable tour de france ( very well the second week, fade in the third), good catalunya.
lombardia one of his favourite races ( he has a podium , a top 5 and a top 10)can be a turning point in his career if he goes well, but even if he fails it will not change my opinion on his season.

imho that is not bad for somebody who turned pro 20, had terrible crash, looked incapable to keep promises, almost lost to top cycling.
it looks like he is putting back together his career and there is still hope he can become a top rider.

profff said:

podium quebec and emilia, top 5 LBL honourable tour de france ( very well the second week, fade in the third), good catalunya.
lombardia one of his favourite races ( he has a podium , a top 5 and a top 10)can be a turning point in his career if he goes well, but even if he fails it will not change my opinion on his season.

About sums it up (Top ten in San Sebastián as well). A very solid but unspectacular year.

A

Anonymous

profff said:

imho that is not bad for somebody who turned pro 20, had terrible crash, looked incapable to keep promises, almost lost to top cycling.
it looks like he is putting back together his career and there is still hope he can become a top rider.

worth noting that he was pretty ill with an infection over the last week of the tour as well, if he'd not got sick would probably have won white.

I treat rigo almost as a second year neo-pro as he didnt get to do too much riding for himself at Caisse. THink hes had a pretty good season. Also think sky have done well with him, not put too much pressure on him, and its paying off.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Think he's had a good year. He has been consistently strong in one day races all season long. I'd suggest his development in the classics is much further along than his GT development. His TTing also had a nice bounce back year.

TRENDING THREADS