• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Stage 4; Aspen to Beaver Creek, 156.4 kms

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Stage 4; Aspen to Beaver Creek, 156.4 kms

UPC-2012-Stage-4-Profile.pdf

Riders will face a 1260 meters of climbing straight away on today stage in about 30 kms as they reverse the climb of Independence Pass. The average grade is 4%, but yields no downhill and is more of a mix of false flat and steeper pitches than the steady grade the profile suggests. A select group of might choose to drive it to the finish or, if the mix is not right, a long chase could ensue. Once past the Twin Lakes just off the descent, the riders will turn north and soon grind their way up a shallow pitch through the gold mining town of Leadville and over the Tennessee Pass at 3179 meters. A rolling 20 kms downhill follows before facing the Cat 3, Battle Creek Mountain which could launch a final break from what's left of a front group with only 20 kms more rolling down again to the start of the final 4k climb to Beaver Creek which looks to be at 6%, but may have some brief steeper sections.

I think the initial climb will see a break (s) go clear, but will regroup to a small bunch of 30 (or less) could drive on to the Beaver Creek climb if the mix is right. The question is whether or not work horses like Dave Z or Hincapie will make be able to make it back on. The leaders might want to slow it down and to keep from getting isolated.

Riders like Spider Tech's Lucus Euser, EPM-UNE's Rincon Diaz, Livestrong-Bontreger's Joe Dombroski, and will at least be vying for KOM points along with Tommy Danielson.

RSNT had five riders in the front group, and they might be looking look to at least get a man or two in off the front in an early move. The downhill after Battle Creek will urge a good break on in the closing kms. The tactic will have a lot to do with the carnage (or not) of the first climb.

RSNT and BMC are now pointing fingers at each other. Horner blasted them for not doing more to control the race on Stage 2 with the roaster they've brought, and now, BMC's director Michael Sayers has fired back saying RSNT are just sitting in as reported by cyclingnews.

BMC is also contesting the result of Stage 2 saying that Van Garderen had a least a two second gap on Vande Velde.

Stay tuned.

Oh, also expect the bigger crowds to continue as the race is hits more populated areas.

Streaming live from the start at 11:40 am MST, 1:40 pm EST;
http://radioshacktourtracker.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/

BillytheKid said:
RSNT and BMC are now pointing fingers at each other. Horner blasted them for not doing more, to control the race on Stage 2 with the roaster they've brought and now BMC's director Michael Sayers has fired back saying RSNT are just sitting in as reported by cyclingnews.
Horner had a point. Neither RSNT rider is a sprinter, thus why should they have helped bring back Danielson?

Why I don't get is why Nibali didn't help in the descent with Caruso there.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Horner had a point. Neither RSNT rider is a sprinter, thus why should they have helped bring back Danielson?

Why I don't get is why Nibali didn't help in the descent with Caruso there.

Fuglsang had some quotes about how they did not really know much about who was off the front. No info? He seemed to be surprise that Danielson suddenly appeared in the final K. Truth or what?

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Some good points on yesterday's thread concerning the route and future of this race. No doubt, you have to go where the money is. The Durango start is difficult in that is lies in the four-corner region and has less of a population base.

The TdF briefly went into die Schweiz this year through a henterland region of France.

I would prefer the Mesa Verde to Red Moutain stage someday, but it does have problems as being too much too soon. Combining Utah and Colorado would be interesting.

BillytheKid said:
Some good points on yesterday's thread concerning the route and future of this race. No doubt, you have to go where the money is. The Durango start is difficult in that is lies in the four-corner region and has less of a population base.

The TdF briefly went into die Schweiz this year through a henterland region of France.

I would prefer the Mesa Verde to Red Moutain stage someday, but it does have problems as being too much too soon. Combining Utah and Colorado would be interesting.
Durango is a great cycling town. But yeah, pretty remote. 3 hours drive to the nearest freeway.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
dgodave said:
Durango is a great cycling town. But yeah, pretty remote. 3 hours drive to the nearest freeway.

Sponsor towns are important and in some cases vital, but other sponsors might make sense. Transfer by jet might solve some of the remote problems. Drurango is out for that, but I think Telluride has an airport big enough for small commercial jets. An airline might be willing to come on board to take the race to SW Colorado and solve the issue.

I will miss much of this one again it seems. Fire at will.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Deagol said:
I think the Durango Air Port may be larger than Telluride's ??

Great job on starting these threads, by the way

Maybe I am confused with the one they showed at Crested Butte the other day. There was a shot of the helo coming in to land It looked pretty nice. Durango's airport had a bad rep about 12 years ago after a few pile ups I think...maybe longer ago than that. I guess I could look and see if a major airline has a flight in....

I wish I did not have to miss the today's stage start. Keep posting.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Maybe I am confused with the one they showed at Crested Butte the other day. There was a shot of the helo coming in to land It looked pretty nice. Durango's airport had a bad rep about 12 years ago after a few pile ups I think...maybe longer ago than that. I guess I could look and see if a major airline has a flight in....

I wish I did not have to miss the today's stage start. Keep posting.

Hmm, never heard about that (pile-up). I flew out of the Durango Airport in the early 90's once. was an awesome flight right over the Needle Mountains, then over Mt Antero to Colorado Springs...

I could see the Telluride airport from that altitude, beyond Purgatory.

The Durango Aiport is out on a mesa, not to constrained. The Crested Butte Airport is more like an airstrip, I think. Telluride's is kind of crazy, on a terrace on the vally wall outside of town.

I think most people who fly "into" Crested Butte most likely use the Gunnison Airport

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Craig Lewis attacks , still in town

This climb up the west side of Indy Pass might be the hardest climb of the race, in some ways. Not the steepest, for sure, so not the hardest climb in every way, but long and high, steeper than the other side, Lizard Head, & Cottonwood for sure.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
First break: Craig Lewis, Camilo Castiblanco, Eduard Beltran, Christopher Jones, Rubens Bertogliati

Have been joined by another group: Damiano Caruso, Rory Sutherland, Julian Kyer, Andres Diaz Corrales, Romain Kreuziger, Matt Cooke, Ivan Santaromita, Arguelyes Rodriges, Lachlan Morton, Jens Voigt, Jesse Anthony, Fabio Aru

Chase #1 at 20 seconds: Evgeny Petrov, Hugo Houle

Chase #2: Freddy Piamonte, Julien El Fares, Biao Liu

Peloton at 3:35 back

May 7, 2009
Visit site
coverage all messed up, they are re-playing Phil & Paul from yesterday....

OK, seems to be better now, Jens off the front on Indy Pass

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS