• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA rider wants to race in France

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm a cat 4 racer here in the USA and will be visiting france next year. A life time goal of mine would be to race in France or any where in Europe. Is there any way that I would be able to enter in a criterium or road race while I'm there? Do all races have teams or can single riders race? My vacation dates are flexable.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
rvineyard said:
I'm a cat 4 racer here in the USA and will be visiting france next year. A life time goal of mine would be to race in France or any where in Europe. Is there any way that I would be able to enter in a criterium or road race while I'm there? Do all races have teams or can single riders race? My vacation dates are flexable.

Belgium is the easiest place for foreigners to race. Otherwise look into the Gran Fondo and Sportifs. Very competitive and good courses.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

As RR said, the easiest way to race in France is to do a cyclosportive. The biggest and best known ones are things like l'Etape du Tour, la Marmotte, l'Ardechoise and l'Areigeoise. All you need is a medical certificate to enter.

If you really want to do a race, then the French Federation do "Cyclisme pour Tous" licences which will let you in to some races - their website is http://www.ffc.fr/

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
You should be able to get a UCI license from USA Cycling, but they are kinda expensive. ($150?)

The Cyclisme pour Tous license allows you into the départementales, which are limited to 80km. You will need to get a French doctor to examine you and as a foreigner I think that can be around $400. They also get you into the Sportifs and Rando's

The Cyclo's are great fun. I have raced a bunch in France. Long, hard, courses with thousands of people so you never get dropped. If you want any of the locations or dates let me know. Be prepared to suffer.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
$400 !!!!!!!!

Crikey, they see you guys coming don't they. A standard consultation fee is about 25€ for europeans.

However, most cyclosportives (especially the bigger ones with lots of international entrants) will accept certificates from your own doctor. Here's some advice for the etape: http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=953.

Cyclosportives will accept French licences (FFC, FSGT, UFOLEP) or sometimes UCI licences OR they will accept a copy of a medical certificate and charge you a few euros more (FFCT licence or "non-licencé").

TimB34 said:
$400 !!!!!!!!

Crikey, they see you guys coming don't they. A standard consultation fee is about 25€ for europeans.

However, most cyclosportives (especially the bigger ones with lots of international entrants) will accept certificates from your own doctor. Here's some advice for the etape: http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=953.

400$, is this a new urban legend in the making?

Although I do not have a French social security card (vitale), my Dr still charges me the regular 22 euros fee. Some do take advantage of it and charge me 28 or 32 euros. But 400??? never heard of such a thing.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Count me in the bunch who jumped at the 400€ figure

The only thing I can think about, is that there is a compulsory social security cover in place, which afaik does cost 350 per trimestre if you are not paying tax in France as a resident.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
rvineyard said:

There are plenty of races around europe that you can take part in.

If you want to experience some epic courses....Sportives and Randonees are great....but they aren't races. The Sportives are generally timed, so you can add an element of "racing" yourself....but not really others.

Most uncategorized or cat 4 equivalent races in Europe offer entry through day licences (or similar schemes) from their relevant federations if you do not have a licence from their federation....though if you win some points you won't be able to use them to upgrade your own USA licence.

UK cycling....lists most UK races

France has loads of amateur club league races, Spain and Majorca too....and Italy....your best bet is contacting a club in the area you are likely to be visiting....and emailing them

Good luck....and have loads of fun

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
TimB34 said:
$400 !!!!!!!!

Cyclosportives will accept French licences (FFC, FSGT, UFOLEP) or sometimes UCI licences OR they will accept a copy of a medical certificate and charge you a few euros more (FFCT licence or "non-licencé").

I assume for Europeans it is different however an American friend was recently charged 400 Euros as he had not done his medical prior to leaving home. I normally just get the form from the even website and have my doctor stamp it before I leave.

As I remember the the départementales are open to anyone with a valid license but the some of the other races are limited to teams only.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
straydog said:
....and Italy....your best bet is contacting a club in the area you are likely to be visiting....and emailing them

Good luck....and have loads of fun

One my friend from USA came twice to Italy for ride some granfondos and some criterium races and could use simply his USA license.

You Need a Club Contact

A club contact is vital to get you going. They'll smooth the details of getting you 'official' for racing in France and get you going in a couple races. Do yourself a favor and try to stay a good, long, while. Then return the favor by hosting some of their riders.

That's how I did it long ago.

TRENDING THREADS