• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA Today article

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:
Check out the comments at the end of this. Armstrong fans are the Creationists of cycling. It depresses me that people can argue so strongly from a position of ignorance.

http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2010/07/22/armstrong-would-be-biggest-fraud-of-all/

Is Fanhouse a big site in the US?

Never heard of it. But given that there are over 5 pages of Livestrong army comments, I'm really starting to believe that there are paid posters at work, surfing the web, identifying bad press, and swarming the comments section.

The template is: (1) slam the author and mock him/her as a journalist; (2) smear Landis and Armstrong; (3) talk about Lance's inspirational message (and throw in "what have YOU done" for good measure); (4) most tested-never tested positive; and finally (5) waste of taxpayer's money.

ThaiPanda

BANNED
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
Never heard of it. But given that there are over 5 pages of Livestrong army comments, I'm really starting to believe that there are paid posters at work, surfing the web, identifying bad press, and swarming the comments section.

The template is: (1) slam the author and mock him/her as a journalist; (2) smear Landis and Armstrong; (3) talk about Lance's inspirational message (and throw in "what have YOU done" for good measure); (4) most tested-never tested positive; and finally (5) waste of taxpayer's money.

Sounds like freepers during the Bush years.

Kennf1 said:

Confirmed. I know of one young man who was paid to do just that, but NOT FOR Mr. Armstrong or Livestrong and not in this forum. He had a different master. No longer does it. I will not out him, but hope he sees this (I will make him aware of it) and see if he fesses up.

badboygolf16v said:
Those comments make me despair. I don't even think LA getting jailed would change their minds.
No it wont. As I posted before, as long as Lance denies, and he will to the very end, there will always be people who believe him, even in the face of a Mt. Ventoux pile of evidence, many will not turn away.

I recommend people read, or even just peruse, Eric Hoffer's masterful book Reflections of the Human Condition. or his more famous The True Believer. Some sixty years later his theories apply quite closely to what you all are discussing here.