• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 297 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:

So Bruyneel and Marti are proceeding to arbitration, with apparently no jurisdictional turf war, since the charges involve conspiracy and supplying dope, rather than doping themselves or failing a test. Seems like regardless of what happens in the Armstrong federal action and a potential challenge to the CAS on jurisdiction, almost all of the same evidence would come out in the Bruyneel/Marti arbitration.

And why on earth is some lowly trainer (Marti) even bothering with this?

Edit: the Contador connection makes sense.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
I think more importaantly, if you read Armstrong's motion, it sounds like the affidavit has been in the works for some time, long before Tim Johnson's horse****:

“USA Cycling has a longstanding policy of not commenting publicly on doping disputes,” Johnson wrote in an email while in London to attend the Olympic Games. “We also have a policy of not commenting publicly on pending litigation out of respect for the parties involved and the judicial process. As a result, we do not intend to issue any statements or respond to questions about the pending Armstrong/USADA litigation concerning management of doping control in federal court in Austin, especially when we are not even a party to the action.”

USA Cycling has no comment regarding rift between USADA and UCI

However, we will sign an affidavit in support of someone who IS a party to the action.

Steve must be suffering from amnesia too - just as well we are here to remind him he has spoken publicly about a doping dispute:
From 2005
"This isn't a 'doping positive,'" Johnson told Reuters on Tuesday by telephone from USA Cycling's headquarters in Colorado Springs.

"This is just a publication in a French tabloid newspaper. That's our perspective.

"To me, this is an issue for the French people. They seemed very concerned about it and frankly I don't care what they think. And I don't think Lance does either."

snackattack

BANNED
Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Kennf1 said:

Europe is the most dangerous place on earth when it comes to these things.

Berto wasn't fined with millions by CAS no ? beleaguered as they are !

The day of reckoning is extremely close and that whole US façade might be a Martini going awol shaken not stirred.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Just to add - Steve Johnson (who was put in place at USAC by Wesiel) was quick to acknowledge the role of USADA in that same article:

"WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) and the US Anti-Doping Agency, they've all defined a process for collecting samples, managing samples, testing the samples, identifying the people who are involved," said Johnson.

"They have certain rights in the process. None of that has been followed in this case."

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
http://www.wada-ama.org/en/World-An...Doping-Organizations/The-Code/QA-on-the-Code/

What happens if a sports organization or a government does not comply with the Code?

WADA reports cases of non-compliance to its stakeholders who have jurisdiction to impose sanctions, including the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The Olympic charter was amended in 2003 to state that adoption of the Code by the Olympic movement is mandatory. Only sports that adopt and implement the Code can be included and remain in the program of the Olympic Games.

BroDeal said:
Great...Armstrong will bury the charges in the UCI/USA Cycling unless the IOC steps in, and right now all the IOC big wigs are on a two week binge of drinking and partying.

The other problem that exists is that if Armstrong & co. were successful in burying the case is then every other US athlete from here on end will attempt to do the same. It would a dangerous precedent they'd be setting.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Jose Pepe Marti has been in cycling for a long time as a trainer - a "preparer" of sorts. As far as I can tell, he was mostly recently involved at Astana as Contador's personal trainer. According to this quote, they were quite close:

"And Pepe always travels with him?

Yes, to all training expeditions and competitions."

http://astanafans.com/alberto-contador-a-soigneurs-eye-view.html

Marti has already been sanctioned. He's done. Finished as far as the UCI, teams, organizers and federations are willing to put distance between themselves and him.

So now he requests arbitration? Why? He has to know that the likelihood of winning in arbitration are tiny. His future prospects in cycling are unlikely to change - he's beyond tainted. Why now? Why the delay between accepting his fate and making this unusual request for arbitration? How much will it cost him to fight this? Plenty, I imagine, because it involves arbitration on a different continent. Flights, accomodations, representation, investigators, etc, etc. Who is paying for this?

The only thing that makes sense is that someone, or some small group with a sense of humor and a taste for sticking in the knife are willing to bankroll Marti's arbitration defense with the purpose of humliating at least one person (Armstrong) or more (Bruyneel, Weisel et al).

I wonder how long before Marti requests that his hearing is made public?

John Swanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Steve must be suffering from amnesia too - just as well we are here to remind him he has spoken publicly about a doping dispute:
From 2005

thehog said:
The other problem that exists is that if Armstrong & co. were successful in burying the case is then every other US athlete from here on end will attempt to do the same. It would a dangerous precedent they'd be setting.

With the parties currently at work on this case--journalists and Tygart et al--I find it very hard to believe that it will be buried.
One can hope.

Kennf1 said:
...almost all of the same evidence would come out in the Bruyneel/Marti arbitration.

The Contador/Marti connection is made clear in the USADA letter.

I don't think we know if the evidence goes public right now. I'm pretty sure the process can remain private with only an announced resolution at the end. My estimation is the public hearing is brinksmanship on the part of The Hog and Marti. Unfortunately, the UCI is locked out of the case so the usual hustles don't apply. Frowny-face for those two...

thehog said:

They would need a compliant international governing body. Few of those would be as brazen as the UCI, and the UCI would not be doing this if it was anyone but Armstrong. They can chalk it up to the morass that was anti-doping before WADA was forced on to everyone.

Or, would the Believestrong team pay Pepe to front run, see how evidence is out there, without it being used for their case? Could Pepe frontrunning perhaps allow them to kills some evidence´s elegibility for their main guy?

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Is this what people are hinting at?...

Is Contador funding Marti's defense as payback to Pharmstrong? Marti knows he's going down, Contador is already a doper in the public eye and nothing about his Astana time will add much to that perception. So might as well put up a half assed fight to expose the evidence? Payback for a split peloton or a missed bus?

The only problem I see with this is, why not have Marti flip on Lance altogether. Paying for Marti to do the public hearing thing is like playing just the tip. I would bet that Armstrong is more behind that decision than Bert.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Or, would the Believestrong team pay Pepe to front run, see how evidence is out there, without it being used for their case? Could Pepe frontrunning perhaps allow them to kills some evidence´s elegibility for their main guy?

I really don't think so. I think you have to look at it from another perspective. Contador has been robbed of his relationship with Marti. No matter what happens from here on, Contador has to sever his personal and professional relationship with someone who is/was very close to him.

Widening the perspective, it must feel as though Marti was lost not because of his own guilt (which he obviously is guilty based on the presumed evidence). Rather it was becuase he got trapped in the event horizon of the investigation into Armstrong, Ferrari, and Bruyneel. If it wasn't for their BS at USPS, Marti would likely never have been sanctioned.

John Swanson

May 14, 2010
Visit site
ScienceIsCool said:
Jose Pepe Marti has been in cycling for a long time as a trainer - a "preparer" of sorts. As far as I can tell, he was mostly recently involved at Astana as Contador's personal trainer. According to this quote, they were quite close:

Marti has already been sanctioned. He's done. Finished as far as the UCI, teams, organizers and federations are willing to put distance between themselves and him.

So now he requests arbitration? Why? He has to know that the likelihood of winning in arbitration are tiny. His future prospects in cycling are unlikely to change - he's beyond tainted. Why now? Why the delay between accepting his fate and making this unusual request for arbitration? How much will it cost him to fight this? Plenty, I imagine, because it involves arbitration on a different continent. Flights, accomodations, representation, investigators, etc, etc. Who is paying for this?

The only thing that makes sense is that someone, or some small group with a sense of humor and a taste for sticking in the knife are willing to bankroll Marti's arbitration defense with the purpose of humliating at least one person (Armstrong) or more (Bruyneel, Weisel et al).

John Swanson

armstrong-contador-feud.jpg

May 14, 2010
Visit site
DomesticDomestique said:

Is Contador funding Marti's defense as payback to Pharmstrong? Marti knows he's going down, Contador is already a doper in the public eye and nothing about his Astana time will add much to that perception. So might as well put up a half assed fight to expose the evidence? Payback for a split peloton or a missed bus?

The only problem I see with this is, why not have Marti flip on Lance altogether. Paying for Marti to do the public hearing thing is like playing just the tip. I would bet that Armstrong is more behind that decision than Bert.

That was my first thought - so that he (LA) could could see the evidence. But USADA will be sure to schedule this arbitration only after their LA decision; and in any case Marti's loyalties lie very much with Contador, I'd guess. Now, if Marti were to simply flip on LA, that would simply be the word of one more bitter nobody against the clean, golden god; by going into arbitration, on the other hand, Marti opens the floodgates to the public of the entire raft of evidence against LA, or much of it anyway. And Contador very much owes this to LA. Paybacks are a . . . well, you know.

Cloxxki said:

Marti and The Hog can play both sides of this. Contador pays to stick the knife in and twist, Wonderboy's team wants evidence prior to his hearing, depending on the timing of the hearing Marti or The Hog can provide it.

Either way, I think we'll know shortly after any evidence leaks to Team Wonderboy. Fun times!

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
ScienceIsCool said:

John Swanson

Maybe he does not want to fight it as much as just get the evidence out there. He is done with cycling anyway. Turning up and just let the USADA present its case would not cost him more than the plane ticket?

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
@MarkvW: I don't think so. Marti is essentially banned regardless of any outcome. To work with him openly would be very, very bad PR for any team (read: current and future sponsor).

Put another way, his ban is suspended. Do you think he'll be at the Eneco Tour helping out Contador?

John Swanson

MarkvW said:
The Marti situation is obvious. He's coat-tailing Lance. If Lance benefits fom the UCI intervention, he surely will also benefit.

This is why I could not understand Marti, Del Moral, and Ferrari not accepting arbitration. Even if they planned on not going through with it, what is the harm in waiting to see how Armstrong's bid top to stop the USADA or limit the scope plays out.

This stuff about Contador funding Marti is crazy talk. I would give good odds that in the end information about Contador at Disco and Astana emerges. He could be looking at another ban.

DomesticDomestique said:

Why would Marti not have his own cousin lawyer, and need funding? Especially if he´s not really expecting to win anything, but go out with a bang.
The Contador revenge angle is a good one. Better than him worrying of his to be tainted reputation. Who´s going to think about Contadope when 7 asterisks are ligning up in a nice column? And, Solo has this one coming. Pepe doesn´t need a laywer, he can just sit, ask for evidence and more evidence, and ask them whether they didn´t forget anything.

ScienceIsCool said:
@MarkvW: I don't think so. Marti is essentially banned regardless of any outcome. To work with him openly would be very, very bad PR for any team (read: current and future sponsor).

Put another way, his ban is suspended. Do you think he'll be at the Eneco Tour helping out Contador?

John Swanson

You're making sense. I just read the USADA announcement story regards Marti. They talked about every athlete having the right to a PUBLIC hearing.

Did USADA cut a deal with Marti: Request a public hearing and we'll cut you deadline slack???

If so, Weasel and Pat Heine are now forced to make a hard decision! Are they going to sue USADA??

This is so cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.